So far ive tried two, both of which worked fine on my nexus but they arent working on my S4. Im rooted so I assume this should be easy to do... anyone know of any apps that have been updated?

Im sure in time we will see devs start putting this in roms but until then im in a pinch!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 02:12 PM
    So far ive tried two, both of which worked fine on my nexus but they arent working on my S4. Im rooted so I assume this should be easy to do... anyone know of any apps that have been updated?

Im sure in time we will see devs start putting this in roms but until then im in a pinch!

ES File explorer allows tethering. No root needed and I have tested and confirm this myself. Go to Net Manager. Create a hotspot network. After being connected you will get internet access.
    steveinil likes this.
    05-28-2013 02:17 PM
    ES File explorer allows tethering. No root needed and I have tested and confirm this myself. Go to Net Manager. Create a hotspot network. After being connected you will get internet access.
    this is "free" tethering correct lol. lucky me i still have the unlimited

- - - Updated - - -

non rooted if it matters
    05-28-2013 03:13 PM
    FoxFi works good
    fantom305 likes this.
    05-28-2013 03:15 PM
    this is "free" tethering correct lol. lucky me i still have the unlimited

- - - Updated - - -

non rooted if it matters
    So far so good for me, I have unlimited and no warnings yet
    steveinil likes this.
    05-28-2013 03:17 PM
    Ok thanks ill try those. I just dont wanna have to install any software on my computer or use a pay app. Any mods out there that unlock the native system built in one?

05-28-2013 06:39 PM
    Originally Posted by cowbells

Doesn't appear to work on a non-rooted Sprint S4 - get a "hotspot not supported" message in net manager. FWIW.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums
    05-30-2013 09:09 AM
    Doesn't appear to work on a non-rooted Sprint S4 - get a "hotspot not supported" message in net manager. FWIW.
    It's not working on my Sprint GS4 either. It says "Unable to connect to Data network, turning off hotspot. your plan may not have the Hotsport service, please contact your phone company"

I guess I need to try another option that isn't paid.
    05-30-2013 10:26 AM
    It's not working on my Sprint GS4 either. It says "Unable to connect to Data network, turning off hotspot. your plan may not have the Hotsport service, please contact your phone company"

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums
    I don't have my phone rooted and I just confirmed it is still working. There is a thread on xda on modifying some files to enable tethering. I am just too scared to do something like that.
    05-30-2013 11:37 AM
    Sprint has an extra charge for the hotspot. I believe they've spent a ton disabling it and the known work arounds. Att and Verizoninclude it because they do not have unlimited data plans anymore.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-30-2013 11:13 PM
    Foxfi

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    05-31-2013 05:33 AM
    Pdanet+ seems to be working for me on a non rooted Verizon s4

Posted via Android Central App
    05-31-2013 11:43 AM
    Why do we need an app for tethering? There's one built in right into the phone. That's the one I use anyways and my phone plan gets unlimited tethering (or so it says...). I wonder how my plan differentiates between my data usage and my tethering usage.
    05-31-2013 02:23 PM
    Portable Wifi works well on my non rooted s4 Verizon.

ctechnow likes this.
    06-06-2013 09:25 PM

I use FOXFI non rooted and works fine for me the first time I got a similar message like the one you get and all I did was turn off the hotspot that comes with the phone as default ......after that no problem at all.
    06-06-2013 10:09 PM
    Why do we need an app for tethering? There's one built in right into the phone. That's the one I use anyways and my phone plan gets unlimited tethering (or so it says...). I wonder how my plan differentiates between my data usage and my tethering usage.
    Because some companies have the tethering service as an additional service for which they charge extra.
    06-06-2013 10:25 PM
    I downloaded file explorer (specifically which File Exploer)?? There are many offered. I can not locate Net Manager. Can you please help. I am not rooted. Many thanks!!! Regards....
    I want to teather. Any help is most apprecaited!!!!!
    07-14-2013 01:47 PM
    I downloaded file explorer (specifically which File Exploer)?? There are many offered. I can not locate Net Manager. Can you please help. I am not rooted. Many thanks!!! Regards....
    I want to teather. Any help is most apprecaited!!!!!
    Since last update, ES File Explorer no longer works. You need to purchase Foxfi.
    07-14-2013 02:54 PM
    Portable Wifi works well on my non rooted s4 Verizon.

Thank you! It wouldn't work by turning mobile hotspot on but with this app it does work.
    08-15-2013 01:11 PM
    ES file explorer STILL works to turn on tethering.

Simply choose the option Net Manager then Create hotspot.
    When the message says Verifying.....just hit the home key.
    You will get message saying not authorized but does work and you can go in and setup hotspot passwords etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
    08-16-2013 07:54 PM