GS4 - SDCard unmounts and mounts everytime when unlocking phone

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I've searched around for this issue and haven't found anything useful. I have a 32gb SD card in my Samsung Galaxy S4. Today or last night when I would unlock the phone, I noticed in the notifications bar a message about my SDCard unmounting and remounting. There is nothing in the notifications panel. I'm not sure how I would troubleshoot this issue on the phone (in regards to logs and such). I presently have photos, wallpapers, and music on my SD card. I've confirmed I can access the photos successfully after this happens.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction on where to start troubleshooting?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I've searched around for this issue and haven't found anything useful. I have a 32gb SD card in my Samsung Galaxy S4. Today or last night when I would unlock the phone, I noticed in the notifications bar a message about my SDCard unmounting and remounting. There is nothing in the notifications panel. I'm not sure how I would troubleshoot this issue on the phone (in regards to logs and such). I presently have photos, wallpapers, and music on my SD card. I've confirmed I can access the photos successfully after this happens.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction on where to start troubleshooting?

I would crosschecked it with another confirmed SD card.. there have been a lot of bad sd cards, and fake sd cards on the market.

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have any other micro SD cards that I would be able to use at this time. In the mean time, do you know of any great backup applications for the phone that would be able to handle backing up the SD card as well?

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Don,

Thanks for the links. I've reviewed the information. If the problem keeps happening I'll attempt a reformat of the card. I won't have a choice right now, Sandisk denied there are any issues and believe it's strictly the phone... So I'm not sure.

marly87

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Samsung and they had me try this fix:

1) Remove the SD card and reinsert the card
2) Perform a soft reset by turning off the handset
3) Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds
4) Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device

Mine would unmount/mount whenever I played music or did any type of file management. Since doing this, it hasn't unmounted/mounted. Let's hope it stands.

Last edited:

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Samsung and they had me try this fix:

1) Remove the SD card and reinsert the card
2) Perform a soft reset by turning off the handset
3) Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds
4) Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device

Mine would unmount/mount whenever I played music or did any type of file management. Since doing this, it hasn't unmounted/mounted. Let's hope it stands.

I'm in the same boat of hoping it stands. The other day the problem kept happening and it ultimately wasn't readable. I didn't feel like taking it out of the case again to reinsert the card, so I just rebooted the phone. Since then it's been reading the card and hasn't had any errors. I don't think this will hold long but I'll take what I can get.

keestu

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my GS4 but it happens when I play music. Unfortunately the stupid google music app keeps starting automatically and along with the Samsung music app I get some problems.
So after some time this is how I solve the issue.
a. Unmount the SD card. (Basically it has already been partially unmounted by the phone. I have tested the sandisk 64GB SD card in my PC and it's fine)
b. Power off
c. Put the sd card back in
d. Boot android

And the phone runs fine for some hours of music. Note that I do not have the problem with the video player. No unmount issue. Nothing.

Also one more thing. Please check your task manager and see the running apps. (just closing the app via pressing the home button for some time does not close the app.) Killing the Google music app also at later point restarts itself with the Samsung music player.

Unfortunately there seems to be no more software update and I really pissed off with this issue as one of the primary reason for me buying was so that I can replace my PC and this is crap.

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to follow up on this topic. I was good since the post stating that I rebooted and everything worked fine. I guess I've only been good for a month because the other day the problem started happening again.

Constant googling of this issue points out that this is occurring for all different makes and models of SDCard. The other day I plugged the phone into the computer and decided to run isyncr to transfer some newly purchased songs. Since them this issue has been ongoing.

I've reformatted the card numerous times and have been running the card w/o anything on it yet but that doesn't seem to help. Rebooting hasn't helped either. I'm surprised its been a month and still no concrete data on a fix. This is the utmost frustrating thing, especially on a phone with already limited storage space.

Anyone come up with any ideas since the last time?

Othe12sid3

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with my GS4 but it happens when I play music. Unfortunately the stupid google music app keeps starting automatically and along with the Samsung music app I get some problems.
I also noticed this. Sometimes Google music would pop up in the background when I start to play music (I use Poweramp though). You won't really know it's open unless you look at the task manager. Anyone know why it does this and how to stop this behavior? Don't want anything to do with Google Music.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20