Galaxy s4 lag issue?

RG13

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My messaging application lags a lot I don't know why? Is it because I have lots of messages? Is there a fix for this? if it is because I have a lot of texts I didn't had this problem on my iPhone 5 so why?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So out of a 16 minute video that points us to 3:40 and there is no lag shown at 3:40. In fact, the video pretty much shows the S4 doing very well against a Nexus 4 which most people agree is very smooth and does not have touchwiz.

Not that I had any doubts...tonight I pulled out my Nexus 4 and Note 2 and did many comparisons similar to the video. Opening the camera app, other apps, app drawer etc like we saw in the video above.

The S4 was consistently faster or tied with the Nexus 4 at these tasks, consistently tied or a tad slower on the camera opening than the Note 2 and tied with the iphone 5 on camera opening up. Remember the iphone camera app opens quicker but the shutter opening simulation takes a few fractions of a second to be ready to take a picture. Scrolling is about the same on all, very smooth and fluid.

To be sure I know this is anecdotal and not scientific and I felt quit silly doing it because it really does not prove anything to doubters. I did not do it to convince the doubters out there, I did it to the ones that are new to this device or thinking of getting this device and may not be sure what to believe. They should have confidence that the S4 is a top notch device and they can be sure it will perform well. With future tweaks and updates it will be even better. Someone reminded me today that the note 2 has a few updates before it was as rock solid as it is today!

Too bad everyone isn't as thorough as you when posting a response to a technical item that can sometimes be misleading. Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Which is why if you install Nova Launcher and disable the transition animations in the developer settings, then all of the lag is gone...

All of this. Nova on Verizon version here. Zero lag under any circumstances and I didn't even bother to disable the transitions.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So out of a 16 minute video that points us to 3:40 and there is no lag shown at 3:40. In fact, the video pretty much shows the S4 doing very well against a Nexus 4
You apparently missed the part with the map zooming (and the freeze-frame slideshow from the S4).

If you want to pretend it does not exist I am ok with that. It would annoy me personally, but a lot of other people do not seem to notice it. Enjoy the S4.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You apparently missed the part with the map zooming (and the freeze-frame slideshow from the S4).

If you want to pretend it does not exist I am ok with that. It would annoy me personally, but a lot of other people do not seem to notice it. Enjoy the S4.

I did see that and was thinking the dude did not know how to zoom in and out, as it looked a bit awkward. I did not mention it in my post but I did this for about 10 minutes on my S4 and no pretending needed, it does not exist not my my phone anyway. My S4 was smooth as silk on the map zooming. Anyways I am enjoying the next big thing! Check out the thread about those that are completely satisfied with their S4, I am not alone. I would rib you about no SD card because I know you hate that but I won't! lol! I enjoyed my Nexus 4 but the 16GB thing and the camera bugged me a it too much but I guess we all make tradeoffs. I hope the next Nexus has a 32GB option! Have a good one!

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I started to have couple issues with my Galaxy S4. First issue is when the phone is locked with passcode it's all the numbers comes to big and so lagy is really slow response while I type the code. Also after I unlock screen the icons started to be huge and I'm unable to do anything until I press power button. But phone is like in slow motion in many ways. Any suggestions, ideas are welcome.

Thank you so much.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I did see that and was thinking the dude did not know how to zoom in and out, as it looked a bit awkward.
My experience with a store unit at Best buy yesterday was identical. Maybe it is an app that is causing it and not touchwiz, I don't know. But it's there and real. For the most part it is very smooth (especially on the main screen UI), but I did see lag, and it was most obvious in maps.

I would rib you about no SD card
If you did I would agree with you. The lack of SD is a ridiculous oversight and motivated (IMO) entirely by nerd politics. It annoys the hell out of me that the phone has no SD. That does not make it a bad phone...it just makes it less perfect than it could be.

The S4 has it's imperfections as well. The S4's main flaw is touchwiz.

I hope the next Nexus has a 32GB option!
The release of a Vanilla Android S4 will make that option moot anyway; There is nothing a 32 gig Nexus 4 will do that a Vanilla Android S4 will not do better. The nexus line is going to become obsolete if this becomes a trend.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My experience with a store unit at Best buy yesterday was identical. Maybe it is an app that is causing it and not touchwiz, I don't know. But it's there and real. For the most part it is very smooth (especially on the main screen UI), but I did see lag, and it was most obvious in maps.

If you did I would agree with you. The lack of SD is a ridiculous oversight and motivated (IMO) entirely by nerd politics. It annoys the hell out of me that the phone has no SD. That does not make it a bad phone...it just makes it less perfect than it could be.

The S4 has it's imperfections as well. The S4's main flaw is touchwiz.

The release of a Vanilla Android S4 will make that option moot anyway; There is nothing a 32 gig Nexus 4 will do that a Vanilla Android S4 will not do better. The nexus line is going to become obsolete if this becomes a trend.

Yes, if I did go with a google edition I would go with an HTC One model. I think stripping out touchwiz does not keep the phone an s4. Since I do not know anything about HTC or sense, I would not know any difference. And I would get 32GB and LTE which with vanilla android would be great! I think this could affect the nexus line for me since getting a device for 350 is not my number one critera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if I did go with a google edition I would go with an HTC One model. I think stripping out touchwiz does not keep the phone an s4. Since I do not know anything about HTC or sense, I would not know any difference.
You would also lose SD expansion and the ability to upgrade the battery. The Vanilla One is a step in the right direction, but I still think HTC has made bad hardware decisions. Samsung has not.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I for one skipped out on the S4 this time around and I had gone with the HTC One. So far I love the HTC One. However I have a question...The girlfriend will be getting a new phone this coming month. Shes looking at the S4 because she liked my old S3. At what point do you see this lag? Just within the UI only or apps as well? Only Samsung apps or all apps including third party app? Just wondering. Now on the live floor models I do see a lot of lag but I can not tell because of the demo mode or its ifs just how it is. I hope Samsung fixes the problem.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You would also lose SD expansion and the ability to upgrade the battery. The Vanilla One is a step in the right direction, but I still think HTC has made bad hardware decisions. Samsung has not.

I beg to differ. After thinking this way last year I have completely changed my view on this. I can now see why Google no longer needs an SD card.

1) You can only use it for pictures, music and videos. I'm sure it works with docs as well however I have not done that yet.
FIX: Use cloud storage. I would have thought it would eat up my data but I was incorrect about that.

2) Removable battery. Yes if the battery dies its all most impossible to have it replaced. But HTC has warranty information saying that they will replace any dead batteries during the warranty of the device.
Now I understand its not a fix for everyone. But again the battery seems pretty solid so far.

3) Front facing speakers are just a must have after you use them.

Hardware wise what have they done that will make the S4 better for you? Minus the fact that you like Samsung better and yes you entitled to your opinion but I'd still like to know. :)

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I beg to differ. After thinking this way last year I have completely changed my view on this. I can now see why Google no longer needs an SD card.

1) You can only use it for pictures, music and videos. I'm sure it works with docs as well however I have not done that yet.
FIX: Use cloud storage. I would have thought it would eat up my data but I was incorrect about that.

2) Removable battery. Yes if the battery dies its all most impossible to have it replaced. But HTC has warranty information saying that they will replace any dead batteries during the warranty of the device.
Now I understand its not a fix for everyone. But again the battery seems pretty solid so far.

Hardware wise what have they done that will make the S4 better for you? Minus the fact that you like Samsung better and yes you entitled to your opinion but I'd still like to know. :)

Ha Ha, Google may not need an SD card but I do. And so apparently do millions of S3 and S4 buyers. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but the sales of SD card equipped phones would tend to discount Google's expressed wants.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Ha Ha, Google may not need an SD card but I do. And so apparently do millions of S3 and S4 buyers. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but the sales of SD card equipped phones would tend to discount Google's expressed wants.

Yes but I would side with you if you could store apps on said SD card. The One comes with a lot more app space then the S4/S3 does by default. Now you may gain some space by changing your ROM but as it stands in Stock its a problem. But if the S4 works for you then that is great! :) Just as it might work for my girlfriend but I'm not to sure. Again sorry for going off topic but I did want a voice an opinion on the matter. At the end of the day they are both good phones. And I hope the S4's lag issue is fix. (If its really there.)

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't see much lag at all (I have turned off all Animations from dev settings). Only time i will notice lag is when my apps are updating.
For me this lag issue is way over blown. I had a chance to spend some quality time with a beautiful HTC one the other day and i found my phone to open apps faster then HTC. (camera, contacts, browser) Obviously this depends on how many contacts you have.. the settings on your cam etc. My Gf also got the S4.. she likes it.. battery life is AMAZING and the screen.. best i seen.

I for one skipped out on the S4 this time around and I had gone with the HTC One. So far I love the HTC One. However I have a question...The girlfriend will be getting a new phone this coming month. Shes looking at the S4 because she liked my old S3. At what point do you see this lag? Just within the UI only or apps as well? Only Samsung apps or all apps including third party app? Just wondering. Now on the live floor models I do see a lot of lag but I can not tell because of the demo mode or its ifs just how it is. I hope Samsung fixes the problem.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You can only use it for pictures, music and videos. I'm sure it works with docs as well however I have not done that yet. FIX: Use cloud storage. I would have thought it would eat up my data but I was incorrect about that.
...assuming you have unlimited data. Most people do not.
...assuming the cloud is always available...even on the best networks is it not.

I am already experiencing this on my Nexus 4...The Cloud is far from reliable. I cannot get a signal inside my gym...so if I want to listen to music I need to listen to what is on my phone or nothing at all. The Cloud is better than nothing, but it is far from reliable IMO.

2) Removable battery. Yes if the battery dies its all most impossible to have it replaced.
It is not just replacability that is the issue...my nexus has an embedded battery and I could replace it myself if I needed to (it is not a quick and easy process, but it can be done). It is that you cannot upgrade it. And no matter how good the stock battery is, an extended battery will be better.

I miss being able to use my phone for 2 days between charges without having to turn stuff down or off.
But HTC has warranty information saying that they will replace any dead batteries during the warranty of the device.

Ok, that one I admit is cool.

Hardware wise what have they done that will make the S4 better for you?
SD and removable battery. All the things you like about the One would still be there without having to compromise those options. But HTC chose not to include them.

Minus the fact that you like Samsung better
I do not like either company's phones better in a general sense. My last phone was an HTC Rezound. I was an early adopter. Hardware-wise, I loved it. My only complaint was Sense. I have had extensive experience with phones from HTC, LG, samsung and Moto.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Yes but with 32 GB HTC One, I could make it since I used the 16GB Nexus 4 for several months. I would keep my S4 as it really has everything I want and need in a device!
I would always like to have a pure android for the quick updates etc.

Sorry for the highjacked the thread! I am so done answering lag questions. It is almost like the taking points from somewhere. I am done with it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
...assuming you have unlimited data. Most people do not.
...assuming the cloud is always available...even on the best networks is it not.

I am already experiencing this on my Nexus 4...The Cloud is far from reliable. I cannot get a signal inside my gym...so if I want to listen to music I need to listen to what is on my phone or nothing at all. The Cloud is better than nothing, but it is far from reliable IMO.

It is not just replacability that is the issue...my nexus has an embedded battery and I could replace it myself if I needed to (it is not a quick and easy process, but it can be done). It is that you cannot upgrade it. And no matter how good the stock battery is, an extended battery will be better.

I miss being able to use my phone for 2 days between charges without having to turn stuff down or off.
But HTC has warranty information saying that they will replace any dead batteries during the warranty of the device.

Ok, that one I admit is cool.

SD and removable battery. All the things you like about the One would still be there without having to compromise those options. But HTC chose not to include them.

I do not like either company's phones better in a general sense. My last phone was an HTC Rezound. I was an early adopter. Hardware-wise, I loved it. My only complaint was Sense. I have had extensive experience with phones from HTC, LG, samsung and Moto.

Yes but with 32 GB HTC One, I could make it since I used the 16GB Nexus 4 for several months. I would keep my S4 as it really has everything I want and need in a device!
I would always like to have a pure android for the quick updates etc.

Wait is this a S4 lag thread or a HTC One vs. S4 thread?

/lost.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc