01-20-2014 06:43 PM
108 123 ...
tools
    Does anyone know If samsung is going to address the lag issues that a lot of people are having with the s4? Is anyone else experiencing any lag or stutters?
    05-28-2013 04:46 PM
    Coming from an iPhone 5 this one my number one issue, but i noticed that doing a restart after a couple of days of use makes the phone better to deal with. But yes it will be great of there is a fix for it if there is really a fix...
    05-28-2013 05:06 PM
    I was experiencing a bit of lag when I first got the phone but AT&T released an update that made it much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-28-2013 05:17 PM
    No lag here. Running flawlessly
    05-28-2013 05:40 PM
    No lag since I installed NOVA launcher, and enabled Developer Mode to turn off animations.
    05-28-2013 05:51 PM
    I wonder if a moderator would step in here and mention that this issue has been discussed here in several threads already. Perhaps a search of the forum would be more appropriate than starting another LAG thread. But then again, I'm not a moderator, I just play one at home.
    roberts68 and badbrad17 like this.
    05-28-2013 06:58 PM
    There's no reason a phone with this hardware should be as laggy as it is. The first update greatly reduced it. No reason to see that it won't eventually sorted out

Posted via Android Central App
    05-28-2013 07:01 PM
    How about in the text app? That is where I noticed a lot of "lag"...
    05-28-2013 07:18 PM
    Coming from an iPhone 5 this one my number one issue, but i noticed that doing a restart after a couple of days of use makes the phone better to deal with. But yes it will be great of there is a fix for it if there is really a fix...
    I have always done a fresh reboot every morning when turning my phone on. I wonder if that is why I have such trouble free devices. How long to people go without a reboot?

The S4 may have lag and maybe I do not know what it looks like but my S4 performs as well or better than my Note 2, Nexus 4 and iphone 5. It is just a superb device. Trust me, I do not need another device to switch my SIM in because it gets old. My S4 is a superb device and a keeper. This has been my daily driver since I received it on May 13th. If when having it for a few days it is not everything you want or desire, take it directly back to the store and collect you hard earned $$$ back! These devices cost too much to "hope" for an update to fix something you do not like.

I took pictures and videos of my kids in the pool yesterday and the pics and video are flat out superb! Even my brother in law with a Canon 7D had to give the pics props!
    Donvald, roberts68 and msmo81 like this.
    05-28-2013 07:22 PM
    I wonder if a moderator would step in here and mention that this issue has been discussed here in several threads already. Perhaps a search of the forum would be more appropriate than starting another LAG thread. But then again, I'm not a moderator, I just play one at home.
    although I noticed your thread had them swarming! Was waiting on Cowboy to get in on to too! It was hard but stayed out that that one...
    tohio likes this.
    05-28-2013 07:25 PM
    I have always done a fresh reboot every morning when turning my phone on. I wonder if that is why I have such trouble free devices. How long to people go without a reboot?
    I reboot every day and I don't have an issue...........
    05-28-2013 07:29 PM
    Why such negativity ??? Isn't this what keeps us entertain ??? reading all these post ??? and trying to help people that have the need to be informed ???...
    Coffeeman, haillyl and Ed Baker like this.
    05-28-2013 07:39 PM
    Why such negativity ??? Isn't this what keeps us entertain ??? reading all these post ??? and trying to help people that have the need to be informed ???...
    it was in reference to another of TOhio's threads...
    05-28-2013 07:44 PM
    it was in reference to another of TOhio's threads...
    It was meant for him .........sorry if I quoted the wrong post.............
    05-28-2013 08:02 PM
    although I noticed your thread had them swarming! Was waiting on Cowboy to get in on to too! It was hard but stayed out that that one...
    We're not real big on closing threads unless they are being taken off-topic. Oh wait, that's what you two did.

Instead of saying "a search of the forum would be more appropriate" you could go the extra mile and link to the appropriate thread here. I'm sure one of you know exactly which thread it is, you're both regulars.

Oh, publicly questioning Moderator actions (and really, you guys pay that much attention to where we post) is frowned upon.

But to address the one solid point that you made, yes, this topic has been discussed in a few threads already.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-28-2013 09:41 PM
    Aaron Baker at phonedog said he would not be using the S4 due to the lag. He said today that he will be going with the HTC One. While the S4 was amazing he said he just could not stand lag from a phone this high end and expensive, along with the 9.8 gigs out of 16.
    TomsAndroid and jlh73 like this.
    05-28-2013 09:57 PM
    We're not real big on closing threads unless they are being taken off-topic. Oh wait, that's what you two did.

Instead of saying "a search of the forum would be more appropriate" you could go the extra mile and link to the appropriate thread here. I'm sure one of you know exactly which thread it is, you're both regulars.

Oh, publicly questioning Moderator actions (and really, you guys pay that much attention to where we post) is frowned upon.

But to address the one solid point that you made, yes, this topic has been discussed in a few threads already.
    Yep a regular that is trying to be helpful.
    05-28-2013 09:57 PM
    Yep a regular that is trying to be helpful.
    Posting facetious statements regarding ones own personal run ins with the mods is not being helpful. It's being facetious.

But atleast you actually posted something relevent to the topic prior to your involvement in the facetious conversation.

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.
    05-28-2013 10:17 PM
    I just don't see the lag. Been running the Vzw copy since it shipped. I don't notice anything odd. I once saw a folder stuttering on opening in the launcher, but that's about it.
    Coming from a SGN running CM 10.1.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-28-2013 10:19 PM
    There is no need to be negative. So what if a new thread has started? The OP did nothing wrong here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-28-2013 10:27 PM
    There is no need to be negative. So what if a new thread has started? The OP did nothing wrong here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    He was making a joke people! He was joking about the number of lag threads here in the S4 forum. Not a big deal. We all need to lighten up...

Let's get back to the topic which is... does anyone have lag on their S4?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    05-28-2013 10:31 PM
    With as many Android mobile news sites (such as this one, PhoneDog, and others like it), along with forums across the world reporting the same issue, I can't see Samsung ignoring the issue for long.

I have looked into the issue myself and I have some theories as to why this issue an issue. One of the things that I have looked at is that it seems that the speed of the CPU doesn't ramp up as fast as it should, or at least, not as fast as I think it should. Most of the time it stays at 384 MHz, the lowest CPU speed slot that the CPU governor has. What does this mean? It means that the CPU governor is taking too long to think about ramping up the speed of the CPU. I eventually see a kernel update in the future that will update some things with the CPU governor.

What will this mean for battery life? Unfortunately, I do see battery life suffering a bit with some CPU governor tweaks since the CPU will be ramping up in speed more often thus causing the CPU to use more power.
    05-29-2013 01:59 PM
    There's a video out there where they show the lag compared to a Nexus 4. The S4 actually does most everything except starting the camera, faster but the animation is choppier. So even though it's "lagging" it's still performing better.

My Droid X2 actually lagged where there was a delay between me doing something (changing home screens or zooming in maps) and the device responding, but my S4 has not done that. The animation isn't smooth 100% of the time but it's still super responsive.
    05-29-2013 02:29 PM
    There's a video out there where they show the lag compared to a Nexus 4. The S4 actually does most everything except starting the camera, faster but the animation is choppier. So even though it's "lagging" it's still performing better.

My Droid X2 actually lagged where there was a delay between me doing something (changing home screens or zooming in maps) and the device responding, but my S4 has not done that. The animation isn't smooth 100% of the time but it's still super responsive.
    Most all the sites like phonedog and eva, pocketnow all says they really could see it when in side by side comparison with the HTC One. The issue is not is it fast, the issue is for the money spent on a flagship phone like the S4 with the post powerful benchmarks out there the phone should not lag at all. Yet it does.
    05-29-2013 02:36 PM
    Most all the sites like phonedog and eva, pocketnow all says they really could see it when in side by side comparison with the HTC One. The issue is not is it fast, the issue is for the money spent on a flagship phone like the S4 with the post powerful benchmarks out there the phone should not lag at all. Yet it does.
    One of the way sites like those (this one included) get more hits is to be more sensationalistic than necessary about relatively unimportant things. If they were all wishy-washy and just said that any of the top phones will be excellent for most everyone then they wouldn't get as many hits. In the case of smartphones that's probably the right way to do it. It's just more interesting to read strong opinions even if they're strong opinions about things that probably don't matter to most people. You just have to keep some perspective on how it all actually applies to you.

I agree it probably shouldn't do that, but as long as it gets stuff done faster then whether or not the animation is as smooth isn't an issue for me. I rarely spend my time zooming quickly in and out in maps (the place I see it the most) so the stuttering doesn't even show up for me all that often. There are way bigger differences between the S4 and any other phone that are worth considering (e.g. storage options, camera performance, etc) before you get to how smooth the animation is, IMO. The OP asked for my experience and I gave it.
    05-29-2013 03:00 PM
108 123 ...