10-01-2013 11:17 PM
105 1234 ...
tools
    OP,

You should be able to sell or trade the S4 and get a BRAND NEW NOTE 2 in return and spend nothing out of pocket. I don't see the point of the original post.

You have options to fix it.
    05-29-2013 11:54 AM
    So.. The note 2 is laggy your saying?

Sorry couldn't resist.. :P.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Well atleast my friend's was...The gallery app was jumping all over the place, where as on my S4, Its was a smoooth scroll all the way to the bottom of the list
    Even when swtiching to different homescreen, his Note 2 would looks be slow doing so compared to my S4
    I don't think I would get to the Note 2 after using this

It could also be the fact that I have the Exynos version, but either way it was a big difference in performance, with the S4 doing miles better
    05-29-2013 11:58 AM
    Ive downloaded the update and turned off all animations. Alot better but still shows some lag but I can handle this. The keyboard just doesnt keep up to par. Yes I know I can download others. My biggest complaint is trying to open the camera to take a quick pic. It takes forever for the camera to open even with shortcuts. I can deal with everything else but I like taking pics on the fly and by the time the camera opens it is to late

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-29-2013 12:08 PM
    Even Aaron from phone dog after his 30 day challenge said he will not use this as his daily driver. Top end phone of 2013 and too much lag from a high end phone. This should never be like this. Hopefully Samsung will address this like they say.

Topgonzo and Etios like this.
    05-29-2013 12:16 PM
    I regret it too.

The novelty wore off but knowing that come November I don't think I will problems selling my S4 when I pick up the Note 3. It's 6 months, have fun with it.
    05-29-2013 12:33 PM
    I had a note 2,

I now have an s4

I too noticed the camera snap not being instantaneous. But to get bit to snap instantly you have to:

1) turn off anti shake
    2) turn off all geotagging
    3) turn off face recognition
    4) turn off auto dark function
    5) flash off
    6) even faster of turn on burst mode

One I deactivated bloat (esp caller id) and looked at my Google account sync settings and took off auto sync pics and other unnecessarys it's a great phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    05-29-2013 12:35 PM
    I have a stock VZN S4 using TouchWiz. With the Xfinity $ and the trade of my S3 to Samsung, made money on the deal. I have no lag on the S4. Had none on the S3. (I previously had a Charge so believe me, I know lag!) Sounds like the OP has a defective S4. JMHO.
    05-29-2013 12:51 PM
    Even Aaron from phone dog after his 30 day challenge said he will not use this as his daily driver. Top end phone of 2013 and too much lag from a high end phone. This should never be like this. Hopefully Samsung will address this like they say.

That is really alarming if true. I guess I will have to wait till the Google edition comes out first and see if they can port a good Alsop ROM over before I make the jump.
    05-29-2013 01:33 PM
    Good video from Aaron from phone dog about the s4.

05-29-2013 01:49 PM
    Do a Factory Resetm it shouldnt be like that
    I have a GS3 and I campared it to my friends Note 2...the Note 2 is SLOOOOOW and LAGGY compared to the GS4...idk if its my friend's Note 2, but its so slow compared to the S4. Especially the Gallery app...the scrolling on my S4 is so much faster than the Note 2
    Its for sure your friends Note 2. Lags? I haven't heard of such thing.

Sent From Another Galaxy.
    05-29-2013 01:55 PM
    Its for sure your friends Note 2. Lags? I haven't heard of such thing.

Sent From Another Galaxy.
    The Gallery app can lag on the Note 2 if you have wifi on and have "Gallery > View by" set to "All content." And/or have various accounts set to sync photos. Something like that. I use Quick Pic anyway.
    05-29-2013 02:01 PM
    You know why it lags so bad? 4.2.2. I really don't get why any oem would use it, most of the changes from 4.1 only affect core android apps that oems swap out with their own apps anyway. And my Nexus 7 was crippled by the 4.2 update. The nexus 4 gets worse benchmarks than the optimus g, and the only difference is the firmware. Samsung should of been like htc and based their firmware on 4.1. Newer isn't always better

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-29-2013 02:20 PM
    You know why it lags so bad? 4.2.2. I really don't get why any oem would use it, most of the changes from 4.1 only affect core android apps that oems swap out with their own apps anyway. And my Nexus 7 was crippled by the 4.2 update. The nexus 4 gets worse benchmarks than the optimus g, and the only difference is the firmware. Samsung should of been like htc and based their firmware on 4.1. Newer isn't always better

You have a good point here. I guess we will have to wait and see how the HTC one responds to this update
    05-29-2013 02:33 PM
    I think we are not hitting the nail on the head. The OP keeps stating that the device runs hot.

As anyone with computer repair experience would know is that heat will kill a device.

Overheating = serious lag.

My guess, as others have said is that some app you may have on the device is using the cpu a lot. Hence the heat build up. The heat will also cause the keyboard lag you see, as the device is trying to catch up while the cpu is being pounded by multiple threads.

Think of a desktop computer, in the hardware sense. A desktop can have an 8 core cpu meaning that it can process 8 or 16 instructions per clock cycle. Now, bombard the cpu with 100 processes that tell the computer to divide 22 by 7 (pi for those that know), and carry it to the billionth decimal place. Then when it is done do it again.

The cpu would then put all process in a queue behind the arithmatic in order of query. This means that while the cpu is processing to the nth degree, your keyboard press is on hold for the second or so while the cpu finishes the job at hand.

If there was a light on the front of the phone showing you how your cpu is being used, I would venture a guess that it would always be lit. Could be as simple as a app that doesnt play well with 4.2.2.

Sorry so long. As for my S4, after the update pushed by at&t, phone runs as smooth as my note 2 and my GS3 before that. Camera startup issues (lag) could be attributed to the fact that the camera starts recording as soon as the app loads for the best shot functions as well as some video features. Supposedly, it caches like 3 seconds of video or something for the editing tools to function properly.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.
    05-29-2013 02:51 PM

Same thing happened to my Nexus 7 with 4.2. I couldn't wipe and restore my 4.1 backup fast enough. I can't stand the quick toggle system in 4.2 either. I think I'll stick with my highly optimized Note 2 that has been running almost flawlessly for months.

05-29-2013 02:54 PM
    Have had phone for 3 weeks. No lag what so ever. It snaps pics as fast as I can hit the button. And I type pretty damn fast and it gets every key I hit

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    05-29-2013 03:05 PM
    Camera Lag: I have a 4 year old that I always take pictures of. There is a bad lag in between when you hit the capture button to when the camera actually takes the picture. That makes taking pictures difficult.
    You sound like you probably know these phones better than I do. I don't seem to have camera lag, as a matter of fact, most of the people that use my phone to take a picture wonder if it took one. They tap the button and it doesn't appear anything happens. It barely outlines the edge of the screen in white and the picture appears in the lower corner as the small one (where you can click gallery) and it's ready for the next. Could it be a setting? I have had people tell me that the "voice command" feature causes lag since it's always waiting to hear you. I don't talk to my phone, so I turned that off in the settings. I also have it turned off on the camera.
    (I'm still tinkering with settings like turning face detection on/off and action mode)

Keep in mind that I'm still tinkering and learning the Samsung set up and features. I came from an HTC sense overlay phone. I'm just bouncing an idea off ya. I haven't tried a note, seemed a little large for what I want/need, so I can't make the comparison. I have used the speed shot feature, where you hold down the button and it starts taking multiple pictures fast, saving them straight to the phone memory, rather than the SD card. It seems fast, but I haven't filled up the space yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the phones internal memory having less space would cause it more lag, but I haven't experimented with this yet.
    05-29-2013 03:18 PM
    I haven't had any lag at all and this battery life is the best I've seen in 4 years, no regrets here!

Posted via Android Central App
    20blks likes this.
    05-29-2013 04:09 PM
    My Nexus 4 doesn't have any noticeable lag, but I've heard alot of people, review sites and stuff complain about the s4 being laggy. A combination of 4.2.2 being bulky plus adding Samsung bulk definitely probably takes a hit.

05-29-2013 04:17 PM
    Regarding "Hot"...the HTC one (m7) I had (after my N2 and before my current S4) was so hot after 15 minutes navigating via GPS/Maps I could barely hold it. That aluminum (even through a case) heats up quick and hot.
    05-29-2013 05:25 PM
    Guys who say there is no lag on this phone excuse me to say that this is not true. This phone is sadly full of lag. I am not using the touchwiz launcher which is way way slower than 3rd party launchers ! I use Nova launcher with fastest speed.

I experience lag all the time: lag when opening the play store app, when opening the camera app, the gallery, after entering the password/pin key, after closing apps. I love the camera and screen of this phone and that is what is keeping me using this phone. Otherwise, I see that samsung did an awful job with the software.

Let alone crashes, sudden restarts, and serious lack of internal storage.

The hardware of this phone is very good but the software is pretty awful
    05-29-2013 05:58 PM
    Good video from Aaron from phone dog about the s4.

Glad you showed this. I have the 32 GB model so issue #1 is moot for me and was also trying to see the lag. I was trying to reproduce what he was showing and my s4 did not miss a beat. So still not sure what he meant.

The only air gesture I have turned on is quick glance and palm motion is on for screen shots. Everything else is off as I would not use them. Window, transition and animator duration are all off. I have always done that in my phones going back several phones ago including my note 2 and nexus 4.

The good news is that the more this lag stays in the news the faster and better Samsung will release an update with even better optimizations.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    05-29-2013 07:37 PM
    If you don't care for this thread, just move on. Don't post in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Notsosure likes this.
    05-29-2013 07:47 PM
    I laugh at everyone who said the S4 was lag free and perfect. I dug my heels in over a month ago with Samsung's crappy software on the S4...and I wasn't wrong.

maskedcarrot, hold out for the GE S4 ROM. It should fix everything.
    I laugh at people who think that just because they had lag, that everyone else had it too.

@OP: Get the Note 2 back then. All that matters is that you're happy with the device you have.
    05-29-2013 07:53 PM
    I disabled all the AT&T Bloat, did the Developer Mode tricks, and also disabled the Story App. Now it's blazing fast.
    05-29-2013 07:57 PM
105 1234 ...