I regret replacing my Note 2 with the GS4.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Really that's your answer? How about trying to be helpful?

Stop using touchwiz and try another launcher. You made a decision on your own. How can someone fix it for you? People are starting to complain way too much here. If you don't like the phone (you were already happy with the note 2) just go get another phone again. Some of these posts are hard to read. Smh

Posted via Android Central App

I feel that my post also applies here.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do a Factory Resetm it shouldnt be like that
I have a GS3 and I campared it to my friends Note 2...the Note 2 is SLOOOOOW and LAGGY compared to the GS4...idk if its my friend's Note 2, but its so slow compared to the S4. Especially the Gallery app...the scrolling on my S4 is so much faster than the Note 2

So.. The note 2 is laggy your saying?

Sorry couldn't resist.. :p.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had difficulty taking pics of their young kids that don't stand still? This was my concern with this phone as my EVO 3d is awful with this issue and the one seemed to be better in store than the s4.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am not being a hater. I work for AT&T and have used all the Samsung Android phones and others as well. We sell a lot of GS4s, and all of them I activate have some sort of lag. So I know my phone isn't defective.

I've done a factory reset, and I use Apex launcher. I also disabled all the bloat, and installed the AT&T update. I did that right out of the box. And considering all the forums have a ton of posts about lag issues, and the reviewers say the same thing, I doubt I have a bad one.

The basic lag with windows opening and closing is livable and doesn't bother me much. It's just the camera lag and especially the keyboard lag that is killing it for me. I text a lot and the the keyboard skipping hits even though I know the phone registered that I touched the screen. If I type slowly isn't as bad, so I can tell the software isn't keeping up with me.

For people that say that there is no lag either type very slowly or have very low standards. My LG Optimus G Pro runs circles around the GS4, and that's an LG! Samsung should be ashamed of themselves.

I am holding out hope that Samsung optimizes the code and releases an update. But after the GE GS4 gets released I am planning on putting it's stock ROM on my GS4, which should run really good considering it will be stock.

Well I am a no samsung or att apologist. If the phone was not performing, I would kick it to the curb as fast as I could because I expect good performance. I hammered this thing for two weeks and it took everything I could throw at it.

Sounds like something you have put on the device is affecting the performance of the S4. I am completely stock launcher and all. Not low standards but the just getting great performance, keypad and all. Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else had difficulty taking pics of their young kids that don't stand still? This was my concern with this phone as my EVO 3d is awful with this issue and the one seemed to be better in store than the s4.

Try putting the phone in burst mode and holding down the shutter button. It will take rapid fire shots, then just delete the ones you do not want. Also best face mode takes 5 shots at a time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
OP,

You should be able to sell or trade the S4 and get a BRAND NEW NOTE 2 in return and spend nothing out of pocket. I don't see the point of the original post.

You have options to fix it.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So.. The note 2 is laggy your saying?

Sorry couldn't resist.. :p.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Well atleast my friend's was...The gallery app was jumping all over the place, where as on my S4, Its was a smoooth scroll all the way to the bottom of the list
Even when swtiching to different homescreen, his Note 2 would looks be slow doing so compared to my S4
I don't think I would get to the Note 2 after using this

It could also be the fact that I have the Exynos version, but either way it was a big difference in performance, with the S4 doing miles better

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Ive downloaded the update and turned off all animations. Alot better but still shows some lag but I can handle this. The keyboard just doesnt keep up to par. Yes I know I can download others. My biggest complaint is trying to open the camera to take a quick pic. It takes forever for the camera to open even with shortcuts. I can deal with everything else but I like taking pics on the fly and by the time the camera opens it is to late

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Even Aaron from phone dog after his 30 day challenge said he will not use this as his daily driver. Top end phone of 2013 and too much lag from a high end phone. This should never be like this. Hopefully Samsung will address this like they say.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I regret it too.

The novelty wore off but knowing that come November I don't think I will problems selling my S4 when I pick up the Note 3. It's 6 months, have fun with it.

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a note 2,

I now have an s4

I too noticed the camera snap not being instantaneous. But to get bit to snap instantly you have to:

1) turn off anti shake
2) turn off all geotagging
3) turn off face recognition
4) turn off auto dark function
5) flash off
6) even faster of turn on burst mode

One I deactivated bloat (esp caller id) and looked at my Google account sync settings and took off auto sync pics and other unnecessarys it's a great phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock VZN S4 using TouchWiz. With the Xfinity $ and the trade of my S3 to Samsung, made money on the deal. I have no lag on the S4. Had none on the S3. (I previously had a Charge so believe me, I know lag!) Sounds like the OP has a defective S4. JMHO.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Even Aaron from phone dog after his 30 day challenge said he will not use this as his daily driver. Top end phone of 2013 and too much lag from a high end phone. This should never be like this. Hopefully Samsung will address this like they say.

That is really alarming if true. I guess I will have to wait till the Google edition comes out first and see if they can port a good Alsop ROM over before I make the jump.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Do a Factory Resetm it shouldnt be like that
I have a GS3 and I campared it to my friends Note 2...the Note 2 is SLOOOOOW and LAGGY compared to the GS4...idk if its my friend's Note 2, but its so slow compared to the S4. Especially the Gallery app...the scrolling on my S4 is so much faster than the Note 2

Its for sure your friends Note 2. Lags? I haven't heard of such thing.

Sent From Another Galaxy.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Its for sure your friends Note 2. Lags? I haven't heard of such thing.

Sent From Another Galaxy.

The Gallery app can lag on the Note 2 if you have wifi on and have "Gallery > View by" set to "All content." And/or have various accounts set to sync photos. Something like that. I use Quick Pic anyway.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You know why it lags so bad? 4.2.2. I really don't get why any oem would use it, most of the changes from 4.1 only affect core android apps that oems swap out with their own apps anyway. And my Nexus 7 was crippled by the 4.2 update. The nexus 4 gets worse benchmarks than the optimus g, and the only difference is the firmware. Samsung should of been like htc and based their firmware on 4.1. Newer isn't always better

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You know why it lags so bad? 4.2.2. I really don't get why any oem would use it, most of the changes from 4.1 only affect core android apps that oems swap out with their own apps anyway. And my Nexus 7 was crippled by the 4.2 update. The nexus 4 gets worse benchmarks than the optimus g, and the only difference is the firmware. Samsung should of been like htc and based their firmware on 4.1. Newer isn't always better

You have a good point here. I guess we will have to wait and see how the HTC one responds to this update

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think we are not hitting the nail on the head. The OP keeps stating that the device runs hot.

As anyone with computer repair experience would know is that heat will kill a device.

Overheating = serious lag.

My guess, as others have said is that some app you may have on the device is using the cpu a lot. Hence the heat build up. The heat will also cause the keyboard lag you see, as the device is trying to catch up while the cpu is being pounded by multiple threads.

Think of a desktop computer, in the hardware sense. A desktop can have an 8 core cpu meaning that it can process 8 or 16 instructions per clock cycle. Now, bombard the cpu with 100 processes that tell the computer to divide 22 by 7 (pi for those that know), and carry it to the billionth decimal place. Then when it is done do it again.

The cpu would then put all process in a queue behind the arithmatic in order of query. This means that while the cpu is processing to the nth degree, your keyboard press is on hold for the second or so while the cpu finishes the job at hand.

If there was a light on the front of the phone showing you how your cpu is being used, I would venture a guess that it would always be lit. Could be as simple as a app that doesnt play well with 4.2.2.

Sorry so long. As for my S4, after the update pushed by at&t, phone runs as smooth as my note 2 and my GS3 before that. Camera startup issues (lag) could be attributed to the fact that the camera starts recording as soon as the app loads for the best shot functions as well as some video features. Supposedly, it caches like 3 seconds of video or something for the editing tools to function properly.

It's not wrong to fondle the s pen.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Same thing happened to my Nexus 7 with 4.2. I couldn't wipe and restore my 4.1 backup fast enough. I can't stand the quick toggle system in 4.2 either. I think I'll stick with my highly optimized Note 2 that has been running almost flawlessly for months.