I regret replacing my Note 2 with the GS4.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
OP... isn't this your fault for simply having to have the latest phone all the time? How about growing up and just finding a phone that suits you instead of trying to be Mr. Cool and saying "I have the latest device!"???

That is kinda a here answer that doesn't help anyone there's so many people that bought the s4 because they like having the newest tech, I agree with everything the op said I sold my s4 to get the one and couldn't be happier

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
SO, to sum up this thread: The Note 2 is the King. Rock on, my S Pen toting brothers and sisters!

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
If you have to be THAT observant to notice lag.. Maybe the issue is you... Claiming that im not observant enough to notice the lag is equal to me claiming you don't know how to use your phone....

I have no lag means i have no lag. I do get some lag when downloading apps etc. Never used an LGP but i did try my friends HTC one yesterday (amazing phone) and also gets some lag when his apps are updating.

But for the overall lag, there are way more people who have complained from lag as opposed to the people who say they have none. I doubt that many people got defective phones. I pretty much think the people who say they have to no lag are just not observant enough to actually notice. No offence to anyone, but I highly doubt the claims of no lag.

webbie2

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
My s4 is perfect. I think it runs amazing coming from the s2. Get rid of your bloat and turn off your animations.
Btw all Samsung devices running touch wiz have some sort of lag. You learn to just enjoy your phone and stop complaining.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had all the Galaxy line of phones on AT&T since the Galaxy S, and some other phones in between.

I was happy with my Note 2, I loved the size and never had an issue with it. But unfortunately I am one of those types that always have to have the latest phone. So I traded in my my Note 2 at Best Buy, which gave me a really good trade in value that payed for the GS4 and then some.

Sounds dubious. BB is not known for being generous for anything. If you were happy you should have kept what you had. It was pretty clear that the GS4 was an incremental upgrade...

Guess you missed out on the parable of the dog and his reflection when you were growing up:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_and_Its_Reflection

The lag issues are beyond infuriating. I have the usual lag in the OS, even with Apex Launcher, but that is somewhat livable.

There is a work-around for UI lag here:

http://m.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-tips-tricks-207516/

You still have time to be a better example for your 4 year old. They really do emulate us. Take that parable to heart. It is a good life lesson.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Stop using touchwiz and try another launcher. You made a decision on your own. How can someone fix it for you? People are starting to complain way too much here. If you don't like the phone (you were already happy with the note 2) just go get another phone again. Some of these posts are hard to read. Smh

Posted via Android Central App

Welcome to the internet...

He did say "even on Apex" btw

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
coming from the note 2 myself . it reminds me of a smaller note anyways. my experience is im getting about as good of battery life as well. my only complaint is the phone is too light.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I do not want to be flamed, I used Android for 3 years and got so tired of it before I ever got an iPhone and I am not looking back, but just going through the posts it baffles me that some S4 fans answers are just simply turn these 5 things off and the camera should work, turn these off and this will work, how can you guys put up with that? Why getting a new phone based on many new features but you have to disable these features for the phone to work? Just an honest question!

Thank you

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I do not want to be flamed, I used Android for 3 years and got so tired of it before I ever got an iPhone and I am not looking back, but just going through the posts it baffles me that some S4 fans answers are just simply turn these 5 things off and the camera should work, turn these off and this will work, how can you guys put up with that? Why getting a new phone based on many new features but you have to disable these features for the phone to work? Just an honest question!

Thank you

Primarily, it isn't the "features" that need to be turned off, but instead the radios that aren't in use, ie. Bluetooth, WiFi, or data when not being use; and more times than not, these new features are really just gimmicks that reduce the phones functionability.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Thank you
It's not to get the phone to work, it's to get the phone to work a certain way. Samsung has to make some assumptions about how people will use the phone and which options should be enabled by default. They can't possibly be correct all the time but giving us the options to disable these features means we're able to optimize how the phone works based on our own specific needs and desires. If you're trying to photograph a moving toddler (which is difficult even with a super fast responding camera) your needs may be different than someone who mostly takes pictures of nature and their needs will be different from someone who usually takes pictures of people posing. The latter is what seems to be the most common use of phone cameras and it seems to me like that's what the options are optimized for. That means the camera not being quite as responsive (I find it's still quite quick and I do get some decent toddler pics, FWIW), but that's not as important in that case.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not to get the phone to work, it's to get the phone to work a certain way. Samsung has to make some assumptions about how people will use the phone and which options should be enabled by default. They can't possibly be correct all the time but giving us the options to disable these features means we're able to optimize how the phone works based on our own specific needs and desires. If you're trying to photograph a moving toddler (which is difficult even with a super fast responding camera) your needs may be different than someone who mostly takes pictures of nature and their needs will be different from someone who usually takes pictures of people posing. The latter is what seems to be the most common use of phone cameras and it seems to me like that's what the options are optimized for. That means the camera not being quite as responsive (I find it's still quite quick and I do get some decent toddler pics, FWIW), but that's not as important in that case.

Thank you for the response

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

Thank you

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
New version of Swiftkey just came out that is supposed to be better for lag.
Samsung really did rush this phone out unfinished and I don't have a great amount of confidence in their ability or interest in fixing issues. But I can hack the s**t out of to minimize those issues. Touchwiz is fast becoming an abomination as far as I'm concerned. I could care less about most TW features.
I do really like the 5 inch screen on that size handset though, don't care about the Note 2 stylus since I never use it, and it's on Verizon. But since Verizon is talking their time about getting a 32 GB version I still have time to ponder.

Keyboard Lag: This also is really terrible. I bought Swiftkey awhile back and have used it on many phones, and typing on the GS4 is incredibly laggy. I type very fast but not always accurately. The GS4 skips letters all the time. I know the phone is recognizing I hit the keys cause I use the key sounds and I can hear it click when I hit letters, but the phone will randomly skip letters. This happens in email and SMS. (I use Handcent for SMS). I don't type long things in other apps to know if it lags in there also, but I would bet it does. I know it's not swiftkey, cause I also have that issue with the regular keyboard, and Swiftkey was fine on the Note 2 and my LG Optimus G Pro.
I also have an LG Optimus G Pro for my work phone, and in many ways it is far superior to the GS4. The GS4 is nothing but a newer GS3 with a bunch of gimmicky stuff that most people turn off and won't use. The LG Pro is a great phone and runs very smooth, but I couldn't see buying it for my personal phone being as I doubt it will ever get much support since it is only on AT&T. Also LG is known for slow to non existent updates, so who knows if this thing will get 4.2.2, let alone 4.3 or above.

Yeah but its not too much to expect to take press the soft button and the phone takes the picture. Most other smartphones do that now. I haven't used an S 4 camera myself though so I'm not sure how bad it is. I think most of the camera features are gimmicky too. Are there android apps that can replace it like Camera + which I use on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

If you're trying to photograph a moving toddler (which is difficult even with a super fast responding camera) your needs may be different than someone who mostly takes pictures of nature and their needs will be different from someone who usually takes pictures of people posing. The latter is what seems to be the most common use of phone cameras and it seems to me like that's what the options are optimized for. That means the camera not being quite as responsive (I find it's still quite quick and I do get some decent toddler pics, FWIW), but that's not as important in that case.

If the LG Optimus G Pro was on Verizon good chance I would get it. Despite the name. :)

I went from iPhone 5 to the LG Optimus G pro for 14 days. it was a tad Too big for me and traded it on day 14 for the S4.
I do not have ANY of the air features on, I do not have S voice "wake up command" on. I don't want my phone always listening / waiting for a command word.
I don't have any of the Eye features on.
There might be a Very "slight" hesitation once in a while, but overall. I can't find that lag in the S4.
I type very fast and my phone keeps up with me every step of the way.
I fricken LOVED the LG OGP. I still think its the best phone on the market right now. If it were 5" instead of 5.5", it would be THEE best phone ever made.

I don't know if you mean built in memory or an actual SD card but thats not the only factor. It is a significant one though.

Camera lag is directly relayed to SD card speed.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Um, no. He paid money for it, he has the right to complain and Samsung should hear user complaints instead of just rolling over and taking whatever they feel like giving people. I've never seen people make excuses for a phone as they are with the S4. Really ridiculous.

My s4 is perfect. I think it runs amazing coming from the s2. Get rid of your bloat and turn off your animations.
Btw all Samsung devices running touch wiz have some sort of lag. You learn to just enjoy your phone and stop complaining.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Thank you

No reason to flame anyone. I have have owned every galaxy s device including both s2's which included the skyrocket and three models of the note. International, att note and note 2. I say this because I am very familiar with touch wiz and there are not many settings I do not know how to use.

When I got the s4 I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of options. Air, touch gesture etc. I like the phone for the basic smartphone features not all of the stuff it can do. I would not be surprised if someone has issues if much of this is turned on. The s4 has many more features than whatever is in 2nd place. Many of them should be turned off to get optimum performance. Not sure anyone would want them all turn off but many of them are over kill or show off things.

That said many people who have this problem have little knowledge of how to optimize this device for speed or performance so that is why the advice. With everything turned on I am sure it is a slow multi media device. Optimized it is a very capable device. It will continue to receive updates to optimize it even more like the note 2 received.

Just my opinion. Can I wait a few fractions of a second for the camera app to open and load? Yep, because I know the pics are going to be great. Everyone want to load all of these features instantaneously and that is just not realistic. Turn most of them off if you are not using them and it is a different device. And it will get even better in the near future with updates!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Um, no. He paid money for it, he has the right to complain and Samsung should hear user complaints instead of just rolling over and taking whatever they feel like giving people. I've never seen people make excuses for a phone as they are with the S4. Really ridiculous.

Lets see, the iphone 4 comes to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis