Hi, all,

I am waiting, ever-so-patiently (??) for a 32gb Samsung Galaxy S4 to come out on Verizon. If and when it does, and one of the reasons I appreciate this phone, I will get a backup battery for those days where power fades before the end of the day. (I have a Droid Razr Maxx and often kill the battery before 5p). I see many non-OEM options out there, and I've had good luck with several replacement options for other phones in the past, so I am leaning toward getting a non-OEM backup.

That said, are there any features that do not work as intended when one uses a non-Samsung battery in the GS4? Appreciate the feedback.
    05-29-2013 11:14 AM
    Hi, all,

I am waiting, ever-so-patiently (??) for a 32gb Samsung Galaxy S4 to come out on Verizon. If and when it does, and one of the reasons I appreciate this phone, I will get a backup battery for those days where power fades before the end of the day. (I have a Droid Razr Maxx and often kill the battery before 5p). I see many non-OEM options out there, and I've had good luck with several replacement options for other phones in the past, so I am leaning toward getting a non-OEM backup.

That said, are there any features that do not work as intended when one uses a non-Samsung battery in the GS4? Appreciate the feedback.
    I bought two non-OEM batteries and a charger for my S4 on Amazon. While on vacation and on a boat all day (no charger available) I used a non-OEM battery and had no loss of functionality with the phone. I have all the added features turned on my phone and everything worked.
    05-29-2013 11:23 AM
    Tohio - appreciate the insight. - PDM
    05-29-2013 11:26 AM
    I don't have my S4 yet (arriving later today!), so I can't speak for sure, but with the S3 the battery provided NFC functionality, so any NFC functions did not work with most non-OEM/3rd party batteries.
    05-29-2013 11:31 AM
    I don't have my S4 yet (arriving later today!), so I can't speak for sure, but with the S3 the battery provided NFC functionality, so any NFC functions did not work with most non-OEM/3rd party batteries.
    this
    05-29-2013 11:43 AM
    I bought the anker batteries on amazon, the battery life seems to be good, i haven't tested the NFC but it does say that they are NFC batteries.

Anker 2 x 2600mAh Li-ion Batteries for Samsung Galaxy S4, with S Beam + Anker Travel Charger [18-Month Warranty]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBTZ2AG/...cUvbUpU2821400

Posted via Android Central App
    05-29-2013 11:53 AM
    Is NFC built into the battery?
    I'm looking for an extra capacity battery, does anybody have any recommendations for eBay/Amazon sellers? I'm barely getting half a day on mine.
    05-29-2013 02:44 PM
    Just a warning to those shopping...

1. Yes, I just got my S4 and the battery is indeed labeled with "Near Field Communications", so I can only assume that, like the S3, anything NFC-related won't work with a 3rd party battery (unless it has the NFC technology builtin).

2. Many 3rd party batteries will claim to be higher capacity, but are really just crap. I'd definitely research thoroughly before buying. Personally, I learned my lesson a while ago and only buy OEM batteries anymore -- cheaper to do that the first time than get burned a few times by cheaper knock-offs that don't work.
    05-29-2013 03:29 PM
    Is NFC built into the battery?
    The NFC antenna is built into the battery.
    05-29-2013 03:34 PM