I am looking to upgrade my EVO 3d to the S4 or One. I am heavily leaning toward the S4, but my only concern is the indoor camera. The One seemed to take blurry photos of my 2 year old that can't stand still less than the S4 did at the Sprint store. Sports mode worked a little better and cranking the iso up to 800 worked even better. My question is do any of you have experience taking pics of your moving kids indoors and does it actually take clear pics? Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-29-2013 11:46 AM
    Try burst mode or best face mode? Took pics of my son doing a cannon ball into the pool Monday. Had about 8 shots. I was impressed. So was my wife who was shooting using her 60D.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    05-29-2013 11:56 AM
    You can set the HTC One to Fast HD (60 FPS) mode for fast moving objects.
    05-29-2013 12:17 PM
    You can set the HTC One to Fast HD (60 FPS) mode for fast moving objects.
    Wrong forum bud.

05-29-2013 01:13 PM
    Honestly, this is one of my biggest complaints of the S4. I think the camera is god awful indoors. 9 out of every 10 photos I take comes out blurry. Im hoping a software update is in the works.
    05-29-2013 01:51 PM
    Honestly, this is one of my biggest complaints of the S4. I think the camera is god awful indoors. 9 out of every 10 photos I take comes out blurry. Im hoping a software update is in the works.
    Indoor shots are not the greatest for this 13 megapixal camera. You can use the low light function but I don't want to have to dig into the settings every time I want to take a pic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    05-29-2013 02:05 PM
    turn auto night detection on
    05-29-2013 02:35 PM
    Try burst mode or best face mode? Took pics of my son doing a cannon ball into the pool Monday. Had about 8 shots. I was impressed. So was my wife who was shooting using her 60D.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Thanks for the info. It does seem to take great pics of moving objects outdoors, but my concern is indoors with low light.

05-29-2013 02:39 PM

That is what I suspected but didn't want to hear. Have you tried burst mode like the poster above mentioned? Also sports mode or night mode may work? I cranked up the iso to 800 in the sprint store and that seemed to help as well. Anyone tried these issues with there moving kid pics inside?

05-29-2013 02:43 PM
    turn auto night detection on

Does this essentially turn night mode on any time their is low light? Does that seem to help with motion blur?

05-29-2013 02:45 PM
    Wrong forum bud.

Ya but thing is, he is right, the HTC One takes fantastic quick movement intense pics. Had they had a 8 or 6 mega pixel camera it would of been a real beast to beat.
    05-29-2013 02:45 PM
    Ya but thing is, he is right, the HTC One takes fantastic quick movement intense pics. Had they had a 8 or 6 mega pixel camera it would of been a real beast to beat.
    Do you know this by experience? Just curious of the one is that much better in that regard.

05-29-2013 02:48 PM
    Do you know this by experience? Just curious of the one is that much better in that regard.

Go to the store pick up a HTC One and have someone wave at you and burst shot it on normal.... Then do the same on the S4 and tell me which one has blur and which one does not. I tested this over and over and the HTC One had little or no blur in almost every shot while the S4 was teribad. Even with the S4 on burst the best I got was 1 time I had 50% of the burst pics come out ok. Every other time the 1 out of 5 or 6 would be ok, while it was the opposite with the HTC One. Now both cameras have there strong points. But if your looking for fast movement the HTC is by far better. Test it out for yourself don't take my word for it.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-29-2013 03:17 PM
    Try the Sports mode, its not ONLY for sports
    05-29-2013 03:27 PM

I've got both the One and S4 and can say without a doubt the One is much better at catching moving objects without blur and much better in low light situations. If you are looking for a camera to take on vacation or use to blow up photos to print then the GS4 is probably better. In general I prefer the look of pictures from my GS4 better if outdoors or in a well lit room focusing on stationary objects. Night and sports mode do help somewhat but not quite as good as the One. I would give both a try in the store and see which one fits your needs best. Both are outstanding devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-29-2013 11:08 PM
    Got curious and was playing around with the settings and got some surprising pics in almost total darkness...turn on night detection, 400 ISO and adjust to 6 MP, it does a nice job of picking up light in very dark areas, freezing action, but just like the HTC One, the image will look fairly good on the phone but a bit grainy if you blow it up! I want to spend a little time experimenting to see if this can be improved but this does look promising.

cheers
    05-29-2013 11:34 PM
    By making changes in setting as placing night-mode you can get the pics without blur..
    05-30-2013 03:53 AM
    Ya but thing is, he is right, the HTC One takes fantastic quick movement intense pics.
    I had a One and returned it for the S4. The S4's camera is vastly superior. Granted, the One might take better pictures in a few, very specific scenarios. But indoors wasn't one of them. Truthfully, I wasn't even impressed with it's vaunted low light capabilities.

Had they had a 8 or 6 mega pixel camera it would of been a real beast to beat.
    Well, in fairness, couldn't you say the same thing about many devices? If the S4 only had front-facing speakers and a sleek metal cover, no one would even be talking about the One. But no phone is perfect. For me, personally, I couldn't be happier about switching.
    05-30-2013 06:58 AM
    I have had my S4 less than 2 wks and cannot get 1 good sports mode shot! Thinking of taking it back but not sure what a good replacement would be....otherwise I love the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had my S4 less than 2 wks and cannot get 1 good sports mode shot! Thinking of taking it back but not sure what a good replacement would be....otherwise I love the phone.
    09-11-2013 04:50 PM
    You'll have problems getting blur-free pictures of moving kids indoors in low light even with a dslr. Everything is a tradeoff. Low light means a slow shutter speed and resulting motion blur from subject and/or camera movement. The solutions with moving subjects are: 1. Increase the amount of light, for example by using flash. 2. Increase the ISO, meaning that the camera boosts the signal from the available light, which also increases noise, causing a grainy look. If the One's pictures of moving subjects indoors look good, if it's in low light then it's probably using high ISO to allow a fast shutter speed and applying lots of noise reduction to decrease noise, but which will also lose fine detail.

09-11-2013 07:11 PM
    You'll have problems getting blur-free pictures of moving kids indoors in low light even with a dslr. Everything is a tradeoff. Low light means a slow shutter speed and resulting motion blur from subject and/or camera movement. The solutions with moving subjects are: 1. Increase the amount of light, for example by using flash. 2. Increase the ISO, meaning that the camera boosts the signal from the available light, which also increases noise, causing a grainy look. If the One's pictures of moving subjects indoors look good, if it's in low light then it's probably using high ISO to allow a fast shutter speed and applying lots of noise reduction to decrease noise, but which will also lose fine detail.

This answer is correct. Three things control the exposure of a picture: shutter speed, ISO and aperture.

To take pictures in low light, you need to let more light in by either leaving the shutter open longer (slower shutter speed), wider aperture (bigger hole for the light to pass through) or higher ISO (film or sensor being more sensitive to light). Or increase the light in the room with a flash, which all suck on phone cameras.

The aperture is physically limited to a maximum diameter, so in low light, the camera will max this out first. Then the camera can either try to adjust ISO / sensitivity to light, which results in lots of noise that destroys details in pictures; or it can slow down the shutter speed which leaves lots of blurry kids in your pictures. Chances are, you camera is maxing out the available ISO already and only has one tool left to get the picture properly exposed -- slower shutter speed. That's why your pictures are blurry. The laws of physics must be obeyed.

Taking lots of pictures really quickly in burst mode won't do a single thing to solve this problem. Except if you take 50 pictures in a row, you may improve your chances of getting lucky and having a photo where the kid was relatively still. That is why people clamor for larger pixels over more pixels, they have greater light gathering capacity and can allow the camera to use a faster shutter speed.

The short answer to your question is no. In low light, no camera phone can capture a moving kid without blur. The only reason DSLRs have a chance is they can use lenses (expensive) with massive apertures or they have large pixels that can gather more light without crippling noise.
    09-14-2013 12:42 AM