I just got the S4, coming from the Droid Charge. The Charge had a dedicated vehicle dock that automatically put it into a Car Mode. When in Car Mode, as long as the charger was connected, the screen didn't time out or go off. On the S4, there is no dedicated car dock. I just got the iBolt xProDock which seems pretty cool. It does put the phone into a dock mode, but the only way I can keep the map on ( I use it for traffic, not so much for navigation) is to put on the Navigator. I like the Google Maps screen much better than the Navigation screen, but I can't figure out how to keep it going to sleep. Is it possible, or do I just have to get used to the Navigation screen?
    05-29-2013 12:33 PM
    Hi, and welcome to the forums. I don't think there is a way on maps to have the timeout separate from the phone's normal timeout.

I don't know if this helps (because I don't know what it is about the Navigation screen your don't like), but if you use that and then click on the compass/arrow, it'll toggle it from the 3D view to a top-down view similar to maps (where North is always to the top of the screen). A lot of people don't know that little trick, so maybe it will help you.

the other thing you could do is use another car/dock app, like Car Home Ultra (which I use). That has a setting in it to keep the display on, which overrides the system setting. So you'd put it in the dock and then Car Home Ultra would start (instead of the normal car mode) and then from there, start up maps.
    Rob609 likes this.
    05-30-2013 03:50 PM
    Have you tried using Tasker to set a rule to disable screen timeout when maps is running or when connected to your cars bluetooth? Or just install a car mode app?
    Rob609 likes this.
    05-30-2013 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys. I'm a little technologically challenged when it comes to smartphones, still trying to learn all they can do. I did know about the clicking the compass arrow trick though. I just think Google Maps looks cleaner and makes it easier to see traffic conditions on secondary roads than on the Navigation mode. I didn't think of installing a car mode app, didn't realize that would keep the phone from timing out. I checked out that Car Home Ultra and it looks pretty cool...I think a new docking app will be my way out...thanks!
    as for Tasker...like I said...technologically challenged...I don't know what that is
    05-30-2013 04:48 PM
    Tasker is an app that allows you to completely automate your phone. At first it may seem complicated to set up, but once you get the hang of it it's really pretty easy. For example, when I get in my car it automatically turns off wifi, turns on gps, opens my music player, presses play, and turns up the media volume to max. When I get out of my car it goes back to how it was.
    05-30-2013 05:32 PM
    sounds pretty cool, I might have to check that out, too! Thanks!
    05-30-2013 07:33 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on CarHome Ultra...I gave the free version a try over the weekend and it does all I need and more. Currently on sale for $1.99, just bought the full version! Haven't had a chance to check out Tasker yet, but plan on it.
    06-03-2013 08:55 AM