I haven't been around the android forums until just recently - as I've been researching devices.
    Who out of the two (HTC or Samsung) is more likely to get timely updates?
    05-29-2013 11:01 PM
    Probably the company with the most money and largest user base.
    05-29-2013 11:17 PM
    I haven't been around the android forums until just recently - as I've been researching devices.
    Who out of the two (HTC or Samsung) is more likely to get timely updates?
    Samsung. HTC One doesn't even have the latest update.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-29-2013 11:31 PM
    Contrary to what many people actually believe, HTC does very well with updates, yes, the one released 4.1.2 instead of 4.2, but it has plans for update very soon, and is already seeing its first update, a month after release. The droid DNA has seen 2 updates already and it has been out 6 months, and also has plans for update to 4.2+ sense 5. While Samsung has a large fanbase and an even larger marketing fund, I hear nothing but complaints about the s3 not receiving updates. If updates are important to you, you should probably look into the Google editions, or a nexus 4.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    05-29-2013 11:44 PM
    Samsung is constantly at least two major os updates behind with all of their flagships, while they offer long time support for their devices HTC is far better at delivering them. Just remember that the updates are pushed out at your carriers discretion because they have to make sure everything "works" the way they want to. So it wouldn't really be wise to blame neither samsung or htc for updates but instead you should blame your carrier.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-29-2013 11:56 PM
    this may not be as big of an issue as it once was with the announcement of Google Services at Google IO resently! If Google is successful in implementing this idea, updates to the basic underlying Android UI would be pushed out from Google Play Store instead of the manufacturers/carriers! Samsung/HTC would only update their proprietory software! I don't think anyone really knows for sure just how well this will work but it does sound VERY promising!
    To answer the original question, while Samsung hasn't always been the best at this, they probably have a bit better track record over the last couple years and have already commited to upgrading their most resent devices with many of the S4s features!

Cheers
    05-29-2013 11:57 PM
    Contrary to what many people actually believe, HTC does very well with updates, yes, the one released 4.1.2 instead of 4.2, but it has plans for update very soon, and is already seeing its first update, a month after release. The droid DNA has seen 2 updates already and it has been out 6 months, and also has plans for update to 4.2+ sense 5. While Samsung has a large fanbase and an even larger marketing fund, I hear nothing but complaints about the s3 not receiving updates. If updates are important to you, you should probably look into the Google editions, or a nexus 4.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    The GS3 is a carrier decision in the US, and it could be for a myriad of reasons, one of which the US carriers like to sell new hardware first and not spend their money on certifying the updates which to me is THEIR JOB.
    05-31-2013 09:19 PM