Galaxy S4: IR Blaster Uses

ljredeye

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Who uses the WatchOn app to control TVs and entertainment boxes with the IR blaster?

I want to see if it's possible to control a Xbox 360, PS3, the couple stereos in my house, or my MacBook. Maybe an Apple TV. Are there apps already out there that can do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

loonie01

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: IR Blaster Uses

I use it when I can't find my remote to the uverse boland to lazy to look for it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Works great on FIOS, shows all of the show lineups with pictures and goes straight to that channel.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I use it to control the TV in my room, I lost my actual remote and it has come quite handy!
Sony already has a remote for the PS3 which I use...idk if it can work on game systems, that would have to be through Bluetooth, not the IR Blaster

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't know what it is but it's not working but this is the ONLY bug my S4 has and hopefully an update fixes it.

My hTc One can only control my Samsung, Denon & Rogers but it works flawlessly. I don't have to press it multiple times to turn off/on or control my components like my Samsung TV & Rogers Cable and with my Denon Receiver, I can only change the volume the power button doesn't work.

Yes, it does work with Apple TV 3, my Sony Blu-ray Disc & Toshiba HD DVD. Three component THAT WORKS BUT USE THE LEAST. :(

It's a PITA that I ended up resetting the app and only use my hTc One.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I really like the remote app. It is super handy. It works well with LG TV and Directv box. You just browse the show and click on the show. It will automatically tune it for you. Bottom line is i don't have to search for the remote.

Posted via Android Central App

Rick Bray

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I use it to control the TV in my room, I lost my actual remote and it has come quite handy!
Sony already has a remote for the PS3 which I use...idk if it can work on game systems, that would have to be through Bluetooth, not the IR Blaster

well, i don't know about most of the devices you point out, but regarding hardware compatibility, the PS3 has no IR receiver, your stereos should work as long they have IR , and the apple TV should work too, but with the apple TV i'm not sure completely, because it DOES have an IR receiver, but we all know apple, and maybe they made it "universal remote"-proof....

would like any update from you on what worked and what didn't

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

It's also great to use when you are in a sports bar and the TV by your table is playing a game that you don't want to watch.

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

It works great with my TV, but we have RF remotes for our DirecTV boxes, so I can't use it on them. Boo hoo!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

There are apps in the Play Store you can download (I do believe the good ones are paid apps, though) that take FULL advantage of the IR Blaster. That is full universal remote power, where you can use it not only on Home Entertainment and they have a wider variety of supported devices. I think I even saw one that let you create your own IR sequences.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

There are apps in the Play Store you can download (I do believe the good ones are paid apps, though) that take FULL advantage of the IR Blaster. That is full universal remote power, where you can use it not only on Home Entertainment and they have a wider variety of supported devices. I think I even saw one that let you create your own IR sequences.

Can you post links of examples?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Was there an update, the Control Panel/UI looks changed? I was bored so I set everything up again (for the fourth time).

Everything works, all the issues I posted earlier has been fixed. :)

cavytt

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I use the rf blaster all the time for my LG tv and my Xfinity cable box. Worls great. Perfect for when the remote is on the other side of the room. ;)

taynxtlvl

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

The WatchOn app is SUPREME!! I have set my cousins Panasonic TV and Timewarner box at her home for it. Muahhahaaa. And at my home Both my Samsung 3-D television and Blu-Ray along with my Western Digital Internet Box (Roku like device) and my Toshiba TV and some off brand (Which surprisingly was in the manufacturer list) Digital over the air box. The remotes are on their way out!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae