Comments on Screen

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Was in the Apple store to get a broken Lightning cable replaced under warranty and was playing with the iPhone 5.
Pulled out the S4 to compare. Two clear points:
1. The S4 screen is so much bigger. Really makes the iPhone 5 look not just much smaller, but very limiting. In comparison, you think how the heck am I going to get anything done on that little screen?
2. The iPhone 5 screen is twice as bright. Even with the S4 brightness turned all the way up, the iPhone just buried it in brightness. Perhaps being so much smaller, Apple can afford the power to nuke the screen with light. I assume the S4 would take too much power to go that bright with the larger real estate.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the brightness is a limitation of the technology. But you're correct. IPS screens are much brighter. It is not unreasonable to say that on an Auto brightness or similar brightness setting (ie, 25%) the IPS will be, objectively, twice as bright. People always talk about screen quality, but don't mention that. I think it's a fair criticism. If you crank up brightness to match the IPS, you'll drain the battery much faster.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Brightness will always be 'better' in IPS VS AMOLED. But I've been around iPhone 5's since I got my S4 and let me tell you that even the iPhone owners will admit defeat: the screen on the S4 is just that much better. Bigger, better resolution, more vivid colors, and it doesn't strain your eyes as much when reading.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Carry both of these phones daily and agree with your points.

Not sure about the brightness because I keep both on about 35-40% brightness.
I did change my screen mode back to standard from movie. I realize I am sacrificing the most realistic colors for a tad more brightness.

Overall most iphoners are impressed with the s4 screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't care how good the iPhone 5 or 5S is, I can't go back to down to 4" screen. It's one of the reason why switched to android.

Now that I also have the hTc One, I hate the DIM issue Super AMOLED has. This is why I only use the S4 at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton