06-06-2013 10:25 AM
60 123
tools
    Who are you kidding? You'll keep both lol I take the one out a night with me for the excellent low light shots and the highlights. During the day the s4 camera is phenomenal.
    Lol. I might end up giving the s4 to the wife. She's still "suffering" with an s3. I have a Galaxy Camera also. Might as well justify wasting all that money on it and use it when I want decent shots in daylight (great device just hate carrying a camera that's why I also rarely use my Nikon dslr) . The One suffices for most shots in my day to day usage. I could easily just flip a coin and pick one of these devices... They are both that good. But the One brings some new things to the table that I've not experienced on Android. The s4 focuses on being a solid all around jack of all trades device while the One seems to focus on the user experience making the device fluid and enjoyable to use. I also prefer more of a minimalist ui which sours me on touchwiz. I'm sure I'll change my mind again lol but right now I'm pretty set on keeping the One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-02-2013 03:37 PM
    Thanks for the info. I am still leaning towards the S4, but really still like the One. I'm so torn.

Posted via Android Central App
    I hear ya. I paid full retail for both of them. Almost returned my s4 on the last day of my return period but just couldn't do it. After nearly a month of having both I'm still deeply torn I keep saying I'm either going to give one to my wife or sell one but I just can't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    06-02-2013 09:21 PM
    Just doesn't measure up to the s4 in well lit situations. Even with the larger pixels it is still a 4 mp camera at the end of the day. Photos just tend to lack detail compared to the s4. Especially if you zoom in on the picture even a little bit. That said both are good I just prefer the s4 camera. As long as you don't plan to enlarge and print pics from it the One will serve you fine. It is an amazing device.

I just don't agree with that- I don't know why this keeps getting repeated - feel free to zoom in on these, and remember the Android Central compresses these - on my screen at 100% they are too large to display the full picture and has more detail.

Are you seriously saying this is not enough detail?

Anyone else not impressed with the camera?!-8861289365_8a56dbab2e_o.jpgAnyone else not impressed with the camera?!-8861218479_7d353cdb99_o.jpgAnyone else not impressed with the camera?!-8860209934_176297d1ef_o-1-.jpg
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-03-2013 04:51 PM
    I just don't agree with that- I don't know why this keeps getting repeated - feel free to zoom in on these, and remember the Android Central compresses these - on my screen at 100% they are too large to display the full picture and has more detail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8861289365_8a56dbab2e_o.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	70386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8861218479_7d353cdb99_o.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	668.9 KB 
ID:	70387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8860209934_176297d1ef_o (1).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	789.0 KB 
ID:	70388
    Aww that's cute

GS4 Love
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-03-2013 06:48 PM
    Do you guys have anti shake on or off?
    06-03-2013 07:54 PM

Shoot those same shots with a GS4 and you will see what I mean. I'm in no way saying the One camera is a slouch but it is hard to dispute that the GS4 does better in well lit environments. I'm not photography expert, far from it in fact, I wouldn't even call myself an amateur think way below that. But I can tell when I use two cameras side by side and one gives more detail. For instance I take a picture of my truck from 10 to 15 yards away. The GS4 can display the logo crisply whereas with the one it is a blurry, grainy mess.

orion575 likes this.
    06-03-2013 09:18 PM
    Shoot those same shots with a GS4 and you will see what I mean. I'm in no way saying the One camera is a slouch but it is hard to dispute that the GS4 does better in well lit environments. I'm not photography expert, far from it in fact, I wouldn't even call myself an amateur think way below that. But I can tell when I use two cameras side by side and one gives more detail. For instance I take a picture of my truck from 10 to 15 yards away. The GS4 can display the logo crisply whereas with the one it is a blurry, grainy mess.

Then you have a defective One. I could shoot those scenes with my DSLR and it wouldn't have more detail at the resolution you see them on android central.
    06-03-2013 09:26 PM
    Then you have a defective One. I could shoot those scenes with my DSLR and it wouldn't have more detail at the resolution you see them on android central.
    So your arguement is that the One takes more detailed photos?

GS4 Love
    06-03-2013 09:31 PM
    So your arguement is that the One takes more detailed photos?

GS4 Love
    No, I am not arguing. But, I am saying there is no way you can tell the resolution difference in compressed, reduced size files as displayed on this site, or any other internet site, unless you were to download original, full res. images.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-03-2013 09:39 PM
    No, I am not arguing. But, I am saying there is no way you can tell the resolution difference in compressed, reduced size files as displayed on this site, or any other internet site, unless you were to download original, full res. images.
    Oh, well obviously compressed there's absolutely no difference. But there is in large screens and when zooming in.

GS4 Love
    aggie likes this.
    06-03-2013 09:54 PM
    Oh, well obviously compressed there's absolutely no difference. But there is in large screens and when zooming in.

GS4 Love
    Yes, if you look at the original file, and zoom to the point that there are not enough pixels in the one file to display on a one to one basis, then there is a difference in resolution, but not until that point. So, as long as you are displaying less than 2688x1520, there is no difference. On my 1920 x1080 23in monitor there will be no visible difference until I have zoomed over 40%, if I got my math right.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-03-2013 10:05 PM
    my one isn't defective-that seems to be your argument or defense mechanism everytime there is an area where the One camera falls short in comparison with another. I've taken some very good pics with it. It simply doesn't have the range, depth, whatever of the GS4. I'm not saying that it is bad, but people should know what to expect going in. For instance, in the attached pics there are alot of details that are lost on the HTC One pic. You can't even read the Explorer logo on the mirror of my wifes car. There is no detail on the tree in the background and the vehicles in the background are blurry, grainy, etc., whereas the GS4 displays them perfectly. I'm not arguing that the One is an inferior camera overall just in some situations where you might want a little more background detail it falls short. For me being in construction and it occasionally being important to get a very detailed photo of an item that may be 20' in the air from the ground it can be an advantage for the s4 *to me*. Especially when the pic may need to be zoomed in on with the least loss of detail and grain possible. Overall, both are really, really good and you can't go wrong. Just a few years ago other than Nokia nobody put out a phone that would have been even close to these. While still not even close to a good point and shoot things have really come a long way.

GS4:

One:
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 11:26 AM
    I'm new to galaxy phones. I bought s4 two days ago, and I feel that the camera is extremely sensitive .. even with anti-shake option.
    Has anybody tried taking a shot of a text? I can't manage to do it well.
    If anyone succeeded having a sharp and clear pic of a text, please tell us what option did you select. There is no option of micro or text shooting, so I chose auto.
    06-04-2013 12:32 PM
    my one isn't defective-that seems to be your argument or defense mechanism everytime there is an area where the One camera falls short in comparison with another. I've taken some very good pics with it. It simply doesn't have the range, depth, whatever of the GS4. I'm not saying that it is bad, but people should know what to expect going in. For instance, in the attached pics there are alot of details that are lost on the HTC One pic. You can't even read the Explorer logo on the mirror of my wifes car. There is no detail on the tree in the background and the vehicles in the background are blurry, grainy, etc., whereas the GS4 displays them perfectly. I'm not arguing that the One is an inferior camera overall just in some situations where you might want a little more background detail it falls short. For me being in construction and it occasionally being important to get a very detailed photo of an item that may be 20' in the air from the ground it can be an advantage for the s4 *to me*. Especially when the pic may need to be zoomed in on with the least loss of detail and grain possible. Overall, both are really, really good and you can't go wrong. Just a few years ago other than Nokia nobody put out a phone that would have been even close to these. While still not even close to a good point and shoot things have really come a long way.

GS4:
    http://i.imgur.com/KcXedr4.jpg

One:
    http://i.imgur.com/AFYn17V.jpg
    You said your one "was a grainy mess" which would be defective. What you posted isn't defective.

You said take the same image - but you haven't done that. You may have stood in approximately the same place, but due to the fact that the cameras have different focal length lenses, the image is not comparabe. You are able to read the logo on the mirror in the S4 vs not in the One due to the relative size of the object in the photo. The one has a wider lens and therefore all objects appear farther away than the s4. Same as saying you take a picture with a dslr with a wide angle lens and a zoom lens. Obviously, the zoom lens would allow you to read details of a sign further away. If you retake the pictures where the mirror is the same size in the resulting photo, you would see they were very similar. They will never be exact because of different focal length. Same goes for the trees. Look at the detail level in the trees further back in the S4 picture, they loose detail as well.

It is just like when I posted my examples with excellent detail, you said the s4 would have more detail. It wouldn't, if taken with the objects at the same size in the resulting photo and posted online.

Now, for you, the additional focal length could be important as you may be taking pictures from where you can't get closer to get the equivalent view. So, I would have not disputed what you said if you said you found the focal length of the s4 preferable (and the need to crop). Of course the opposite could be true for others- they need more coverage of a scene and can't move further away. But that isn't what was said. What was said is
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 02:51 PM

Those are some fine looking egg rolls.. :thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 02:59 PM
    Those are some fine looking egg rolls.. :thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    Yeah, they were pretty good.

SenseMonkey, aggie and TomsAndroid like this.
    06-04-2013 03:09 PM
    Alright, HANDS DOWN thats the most appealing zoe I've seen so far.. Lol.. Not bad at all. :thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 03:26 PM
    GS4 has more detail in well lit areas even on a smaller screen. It is not just the resolution on your monitor or the resolution of your camera. The One displays less detail. But, that doesn't mean it is bad at all. I think it is great. I would prefer the One over S4 camera, because more often than not, I am taking photos in low light. But even so, I would rather have Lumia 925 camera than either of these 2 phones. But 925 has Windows Phone 8 and that OS is frustrating to use.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 03:57 PM
    Alright, HANDS DOWN thats the most appealing zoe I've seen so far.. Lol.. Not bad at all. :thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    Lol thats zoe? So this is actually why people are saying HTC has better camera features. Doesn't make any sense.

GS4 Love
    orion575 likes this.
    06-04-2013 04:03 PM
    You said your one "was a grainy mess" which would be defective. What you posted isn't defective.

You said take the same image - but you haven't done that. You may have stood in approximately the same place, but due to the fact that the cameras have different focal length lenses, the image is not comparabe. You are able to read the logo on the mirror in the S4 vs not in the One due to the relative size of the object in the photo. The one has a wider lens and therefore all objects appear farther away than the s4. Same as saying you take a picture with a dslr with a wide angle lens and a zoom lens. Obviously, the zoom lens would allow you to read details of a sign further away. If you retake the pictures where the mirror is the same size in the resulting photo, you would see they were very similar. They will never be exact because of different focal length. Same goes for the trees. Look at the detail level in the trees further back in the S4 picture, they loose detail as well.

It is just like when I posted my examples with excellent detail, you said the s4 would have more detail. It wouldn't, if taken with the objects at the same size in the resulting photo and posted online.

Now, for you, the additional focal length could be important as you may be taking pictures from where you can't get closer to get the equivalent view. So, I would have not disputed what you said if you said you found the focal length of the s4 preferable (and the need to crop). Of course the opposite could be true for others- they need more coverage of a scene and can't move further away. But that isn't what was said. What was said is
    Like I said, I'm not a photographer. I just take pictures of what I need to with whatever camera I have on hand when the need arises. Focal length was the term I was looking for. What you say makes sense. I suppose if I were to get closer to the car the mirror logo would be legible. I stood in the same spot outside my garage with both phones in hand shooting the same objects as that is the only way I knew to make my point of the difference in focal length. So, yeah, the S4 camera seems to be more practical for *my use* in most situations. I hate carrying a dslr or even point and shoot with me as I have enough crap to carry around as it is. Just to clarify, I'm not disappointed in the quality of the One camera at all. I'm just going to have to learn to live within the limitations of it and perhaps carry my Galaxy Camera in my truck console for the moments that I might need it
    06-04-2013 04:16 PM
    Lol thats zoe? So this is actually why people are saying HTC has better camera features. Doesn't make any sense.

GS4 Love
    The zoe and picture highlights features are actually pretty useful. And it helps differentiate from a standard point and click camera device (not just talking about s4). Its fun, and fresh. I hope it encourages other manufacturers to spice up their camera features.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    aggie and TomsAndroid like this.
    06-04-2013 04:16 PM
    The zoe and picture highlights features are actually pretty useful. And it helps differentiate from a standard point and click camera device (not just talking about s4). Its fun, and fresh. I hope it encourages other manufacturers to spice up their camera features.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    I'm not saying they're not fun, but to the point where people think its better software than the S4? Nahhhh

GS4 Love
    orion575 likes this.
    06-04-2013 04:22 PM
    Opinions, everybody has em

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    aggie and TomsAndroid like this.
    06-04-2013 04:24 PM
    I'm not saying they're not fun, but to the point where people think its better software than the S4? Nahhhh

GS4 Love
    I have both. Much prefer HTC One camera features. That said, the S4 holds its own and seems to value different things.

For low light performance and a fun out of the box camera experience, I reach for the One. If lighting is good and I'm concerned about megapixels (rarely), then the S4 is the go to.

Posted via Android Central App
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 05:32 PM
    Make sure you have anti-shake on. For some reason on my gs4 it has turned itself off more than a few times.
    06-04-2013 05:44 PM
60 123