Anyone else not impressed with the camera?!

SpoiledApple

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Hey all,

This is my first post here so be gentle... I'm coming from am iPhone5 and really want to love this phone. I'm loving the screen and getting adjusted to android os but am really not impressed with the camera... I'm getting really grainy pics and focusing issues. Mainly I've been trying to take pics of my one year old indoors. I feel there is a bit of lag between shots, then flash lags if I use it and overall I'm not too happy with the camera. I've played with all the modes but I'd be happy with just one that took consistent solid pics.

Anyone else coming from iPhones feel this way?? Solutions? (don't be a smart *** I know how to use a camera i shoot with a 5d mark3) thanks!! :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

Galaxia

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Someone told me recently that the iPhone camera has a true camera lens as opposed to other phones that have ordinary phone lens? I don't know how accurate that is.
I've been an iPhone user for the past 5 years and never wanted to switch solely based on its camera. I then went to HTC dna and now s4. I'm not a professional photographer but do take around 500 photos a week of my 2 year old. I have been told by several people that the pics I take with s4 are consistently better than previous pix with other phones. The only thing I can say is that natural light is crucial. At night when I rely on lamp light, the pics definitely go down in quality. And there is a delay in capturing the pic from when you click it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

This is my first post here so be gentle... I'm coming from am iPhone5 and really want to love this phone. I'm loving the screen and getting adjusted to android os but am really not impressed with the camera... I'm getting really grainy pics and focusing issues. Mainly I've been trying to take pics of my one year old indoors. I feel there is a bit of lag between shots, then flash lags if I use it and overall I'm not too happy with the camera. I've played with all the modes but I'd be happy with just one that took consistent solid pics.

Anyone else coming from iPhones feel this way?? Solutions? (don't be a smart *** I know how to use a camera i shoot with a 5d mark3) thanks!! :)

Did you take off the plastic wrap that is on the lens?

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Did you take off the plastic wrap that is on the lens?

This was my thought too. I have been taking some of the best and clearest pictures of any previous phone. I also wish the time between the button press and the picture was a bit less but its not that bad.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This was my thought too. I have been taking some of the best and clearest pictures of any previous phone. I also wish the time between the button press and the picture was a bit less but its not that bad.

Are you saving to a SD card? If yes try saving to the internal memory itself. Might make a difference.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Someone told me recently that the iPhone camera has a true camera lens as opposed to other phones that have ordinary phone lens? I don't know how accurate that is.
I've been an iPhone user for the past 5 years and never wanted to switch solely based on its camera. I then went to HTC dna and now s4. I'm not a professional photographer but do take around 500 photos a week of my 2 year old. I have been told by several people that the pics I take with s4 are consistently better than previous pix with other phones. The only thing I can say is that natural light is crucial. At night when I rely on lamp light, the pics definitely go down in quality. And there is a delay in capturing the pic from when you click it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

To my knowledge the only noteworthy lens on a phone out there is on the Nokia Windows phone with a Zeiss lens, and that is glass only. Bottom line, on a phone there is no physical shutter, apparure control, or zoom (though there are some aftermarket clamp on accessories). All exposures are done by electronically turning the sensor on and off and through ISO settings. Most of your graininess is from your camera running too high of an ISO due to poor lighting available. From my limited hands on with the S4 (in the mail as we speek) the excess of options is to help combat this. Even my 2000 dollar DSLR will take crappy pics if kept in auto!

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been very happy with the S4 camera. I agree the natural light photos are the best I've seen on any phone I've had. My daughter and two sons have the iPhone 5 and I really don't see a difference in the quality of the pictures day or night (when I got the S4 we had a shot by shot comparison with two of the iPhones). I did detect a little chagrin form the kids that the iPhone didn't blow away the S4 :)

SpoiledApple

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea I took the plastic off the lens. I could see that being an issue lol. I guess I need to give it more time and play with the lighting better. I just yesterday started saving pics to the sd card and it definitely takes longer to process than If saved directly to the internal memory..(using SanDisk 32 class 10)

I've only had the phone for 3 days. I'll keep practicing :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There is surely some lag when using the flash. I keep the flash off unless I really need it. The s4 has been pretty good without it indoors most of the time. Also the camera is by default on the 16:9 setting which is not the highest resolution, you have to switch it to 4:3. That said, the iphone 5 also has slight lag when using the flash but is faster than the S4 when using a flash in my experience. I shift the exposure control to +.5 when shooting indoors.

I does take some practice with the S4 to learn to take good shots. But they are really good once you get it down. I think the iphone 5 camera is easier to use as their auto focus is not as finicky.

Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it!

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm very impressed with the camera in situations with good lighting. The low light performance is a bit of a letdown however. It can be improved by messing with the settings but it is a pain to do this before every single low light shot. That said, it is a great camera all around (for a phone). The overall performance of the camera is one of the few factors that has me considering keeping the S4 over my One (if I don't end up keeping both).

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm very impressed with the camera in situations with good lighting. The low light performance is a bit of a letdown however. It can be improved by messing with the settings but it is a pain to do this before every single low light shot. That said, it is a great camera all around (for a phone). The overall performance of the camera is one of the few factors that has me considering keeping the S4 over my One (if I don't end up keeping both).

Aggie, what don't you like about the camera on the one compared to the S4?

Posted via Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Must be something with your phone, shots are quite fast with this phone, and pictures are VERY clear
Low light shots are not THAT bad, though it could be much better...something tells me it can be fixed with some kind of software update

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My photos are crystal clear, even when zoomed in. No ghosting at all, and that's why I absolutely love this phone! I went into settings and changed the picture from 9MP to 13MP, maybe try that. I also take pictures in HDR, since my pictures are usually of landscapes. They look super fantastic!

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the iphone 5 and s4. While the pics on the 5 are nice especially in low light where my s4 struggles. In natural light the s4 has way more clarity and depth. But both phones cameras are very good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

jvilly92

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a 4 month and he moves around a lot and my wife and I are able to get the best pictures we have ever had on a smartphone

proels

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The S4 camera takes good enough pictures to text, but once you view the pictues on a 24 inch monitor you'll realize that smarthphones are still way behind real cameras

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1