Incoming calls only displaying phone numbers, not caller ID

mahkeu

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have S4 and all my contacts from google account
Whenever I receive an incoming call, half the time the the caller ID doesn't work and only numbers are shown. When I answer the call then it displays who it is (but I end up answering not knowing if it could be my friend or my ex

Anybody else have this problem?

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
have you looked at your contacts lately to see that they are formatted correctly like your ex having the fields filled correctly? others have reported this issue when using google voice and not using google contacts

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have S4 and all my contacts from google account
Whenever I receive an incoming call, half the time the the caller ID doesn't work and only numbers are shown. When I answer the call then it displays who it is (but I end up answering not knowing if it could be my friend or my ex

Anybody else have this problem?

Maybe it's a carrier issue. I know for my phone, if I don't have name display, it doesn't matter if the names are programmed in contacts, it won't show them and only show the numbers.

For Rogers in Canada, there's two separate features to add-on: Call display and Name display. Call display shows the numbers coming in but no names, and name display shows the name and number. However, you have to pay $12 extra per month to use them. Highway robbery if you ask me.

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.

1. I have tried entering the contacts in every format I could think of, with 1 - without 1, with dashes, without dashes, etc.

2. I don't think its carrier specific because my old Droid and my wife's iPhone and my new S4 are all on Verizon. The S4 is the only one having issues pushing the CID data to the car.

I also moved all my contacts to gmail and have that synced to my phone. On my other phones the contacts were either on the phone or on my exchange server sync. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I will mess around with it today.

Can anyone S4 owners confirm that they are able to properly bluetooth sync their phone with their car and get CID data from incoming caller id data to show up on your screen?

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

1. I have tried entering the contacts in every format I could think of, with 1 - without 1, with dashes, without dashes, etc.

2. I don't think its carrier specific because my old Droid and my wife's iPhone and my new S4 are all on Verizon. The S4 is the only one having issues pushing the CID data to the car.

I also moved all my contacts to gmail and have that synced to my phone. On my other phones the contacts were either on the phone or on my exchange server sync. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I will mess around with it today.

Can anyone S4 owners confirm that they are able to properly bluetooth sync their phone with their car and get CID data from incoming caller id data to show up on your screen?

Confirmed. I can push caller names and all call history to my car

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Joe. Wonder if I should do a factory reset and see if the way I set my contacts up is the problem.

Update:
(1) Just unpaired the phone, did a factory reset of phone, repaired phone, placed call to phone and still no phone number shows up on my car's display screen

(2) Borrowed my co-workers Droid Razor (running 4.1.2), paired her phone to my car, made a test call it it worked fine and displayed both the contact number and my contact name on my car.

Clearly its an issue with 4.2.2 or the S4 since I have test three other phones now and they all work fine with my car.

My 14 day return window at Verizon runs out tomorrow so I will probably have to return it.

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed. I can push caller names and all call history to my car

Sorry, I just re-read your post. I can push call names and history to my car as well. The problem is the "real time" push of information as I am getting an incoming call. That is where it does not work properly. It does not even show a phone number on my car's display screen as the incoming call is received.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I just re-read your post. I can push call names and history to my car as well. The problem is the "real time" push of information as I am getting an incoming call. That is where it does not work properly. It does not even show a phone number on my car's display screen as the incoming call is received.

I'm talking in real time too. It pushes it in real time. As soon as a call comes in it shows the name, number, and picture.

agenthack

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i also have this problem... my contact #s are stored for example +63 917 123 1234

and when i get a call it only shows the number and not the contact. 09171231234.

is there a fix now on this issue? i have a samsung galaxy s4 shv-e300 version.

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
No fix that I know of. The person at the Verizon store called the rep. from Samsung while I was in the store. He said we may have to wait for the next update to android as he thinks it a 4.2.2 issue.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I know that on the Verizon S4 they are selling a thing called "Caller Name ID" for $2.99 a month to display the callers name. Anything to squeeze extra $$ out of their customers.

mahkeu

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I recently found out that if I wait like 3 seconds, the correct info comes out. It seems like it takes time to sync the number to info...
But that also means I have to wait while its ringing, really annoying

roberto_000

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the new samsung galaxy s4 and caller ID does not display until after i accept the call in a 2012 camry se with navigation and entune. I called toyota and samsung, no help there ! I have unpaired the device twice and then re-paired it and all my contacts are there but caller ID not working properly, all it says is unknown caller. Toyota said this phone was not tested yet and samsung said to check the supported bluetooth profile in the car's specification which i did and it is supported by my toyota. Also, it does not make a difference if 1 was or was not in my contacts as part of the number on contacts. The Caller id is not displayed until after I accept the call. However I noticed that if I m already talking on BT and another call comes in then it displays the number. I went back to the dealer and he ordered me a new nav/stereo system and will be installed next week. Caller ID acts very erratically, sometimes it shows which is very few times but most of the times it does not, i wonder if the phone has to be aimed at some antenna for BT to get it working. I had already found those profiles in manual, thanks but the Samsung GS4 supports those profiles in car. Any suggestions

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would say that the issue isn't the phone. It may be the car's ability to interpret the information from the phone. In my truck (I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX), there is no problem with call display, as well as reading my text messages to me. Maybe that's Toyota's oversight in that regard. My truck has full access to everything on my phone, and it has no delay whatsoever in showing caller ID. It even shows contact pictures for my contacts.

Tl;dr, your car may be the problem, not the phone.

roberto_000

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I talked to samsung again today for the galaxy s4, i told them the car's BT profile support this phone, all they said wait for an update to the android software and maybe that will solve it as this phone has the most recent version which the car may not support, it s version 4.2.2 in my Galaxy S4. I m thinking maybe the car's software does not read all of this android data.
Does anyone has same adroid version and it works with displaying caller ID in via BT in car?

GretchenH

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and did not have this issue with my previous Nexus Android phone (both on Verizon). The only solution posted I have found to correct for voice command and caller ID not working is to "push" contacts to the car using an old phone, 1 by1 using bluetooth and adding voice tags as you go. Then delete the old phone from the car and select your new phone again. The car will associate the stored numbers you your phone so caller ID will work as well as voice commands. No work around yet that I know of for real time caller ID information if it's not previously pushed to the car.