How many S4s has Samsung sold?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
There has been a lot of discussion about Samsung shipping phones rather than selling them. Well of course for a cell phone manufacturer shipping is the same as selling. But here is some information on how the S4 is doing in regards to sales to the customer.

?Galaxy S-4 demand in the first month of availability has been incrementally better than our estimate of 10M units,? Sue wrote in a note to clients on Thursday. ?In comparison, the S-III took nearly 2 months (50 days) to achieve the 10M units mark. Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores indicate that demand for the 16G S-4 devices remains strong with 32G Black devices mostly sold-out and 32G White devices yet to make it to the stores.?

Last edited:

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Please...can we not have dozens of "S4's sold" threads??

Let's pick one thread on the topic and stick to it.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Please...can we not have dozens of "S4's sold" threads??

Let's pick one thread on the topic and stick to it.

One thread talks about projected sales this ones talks about units sold to consumers. Why do you care? Seriously. No animosity intended, I'm just curious.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There has been a lot of discussion about Samsung shipping phones rather than selling them. Well of course for a cell phone manufacturer shipping is the same as selling. But here is some information on how the S4 is doing in regards to sales to the customer.

?Galaxy S-4 demand in the first month of availability has been incrementally better than our estimate of 10M units,? Sue wrote in a note to clients on Thursday. ?In comparison, the S-III took nearly 2 months (50 days) to achieve the 10M units mark. Our broad-based channel checks at U.S. stores indicate that demand for the 16G S-4 devices remains strong with 32G Black devices mostly sold-out and 32G White devices yet to make it to the stores.?

Her's the source: Samsung Galaxy S4 sales seen reaching 80 million units

Samsung is not shipping without being paid! They do not care if att or any carrier has them sitting on the shelves, they have already got their money! Samsung's ability to mass produce several types of devices, hit several if not all major carriers at about the same time and their marketing muscle are a winning formula. I wish I could easily buy Samsung stock to go with my Google and Apple because they are going to sell a boat load (literally) of those S4's!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is not shipping without being paid! They do not care if att or any carrier has them sitting on the shelves, they have already got their money! Samsung's ability to mass produce several types of devices, hit several if not all major carriers at about the same time and their marketing muscle are a winning formula. I wish I could easily buy Samsung stock to go with my Google and Apple because they are going to sell a boat load (literally) of those S4's!

Samsung certainly cares if they're sitting on shelves, because their contract with those retailers would obligate them buying devices back if they're not selling.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Samsung certainly cares if they're sitting on shelves, because their contract with those retailers would obligate them buying devices back if they're not selling.

Maybe so but they are selling! Drove by an ATT store today and saw S4 banners in all the windows. Samsung has the marketing muscle to move those units also!

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Could you please provide any proof to that statement? A copy of the agreement between Samsung and Best Buy or ATT on anything that states the buy back agreement you cite.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Could you please provide any proof to that statement? A copy of the agreement between Samsung and Best Buy or ATT on anything that states the buy back agreement you cite.

It's common knowledge. Every electronics manufacturer has similar agreements with retailers. (The most recent examples of it are the HTC first and the blackberry playbook)

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

If its selling, who is talking buy back. The only reason to offer a buy back guaranty is if the market is soft and to stimulate sales for a weak product. Neither applies here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If its selling, who is talking buy back. The only reason to offer a buy back guaranty is if the market is soft and to stimulate sales for a weak product. Neither applies here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Buy back will always be a part of any contract. It allows Samsung to manage inventory better, and offers best buy an out if sales go soft.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Buy back will always be a part of any contract. It allows Samsung to manage inventory better, and offers best buy an out if sales go soft.

Everything you have said about a Samsung buy back is opinion stated as fact. Could you provide one, just one, fact to support your opinion?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Everything you have said about a Samsung buy back is opinion stated as fact. Could you provide one, just one, fact to support you opinion?

He should not have to since if you have dealt with any supply chain in consumer electronics, Best Buy or other retailers, a demand analyst or materials manager dealing with retail channels, what he is saying is standard practice along with consignment models as well. Stock is for majority, maintained via a few virtual warehouses (physical too) and shipped on behalf of many retailers. Both to stores and customers. The Amazon model works for a reason and less inventory on the retailers books.

I am a materials manager and have done all the jobs noted above and deal with or dealt with Best Buy, Walmart and everything in between.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but please stop treating others as naysayers ;)

Added: In spite of all this, I STILL can not confirm Yes or No on a Verizon 32GB model. Sad.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
He should not have to since if you have dealt with any supply chain in consumer electronics, Best Buy or other retailers, a demand analyst or materials manager dealing with retail channels, what he is saying is standard practice along with consignment models as well. Stock is for majority, maintained via a few virtual warehouses (physical too) and shipped on behalf of many retailers. Both to stores and customers. The Amazon model works for a reason and less inventory on the retailers books.

I am a materials manager and have done all the jobs noted above and deal with or dealt with Best Buy, Walmart and everything in between.

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but please stop treating others as naysayers ;)

Added: In spite of all this, I STILL can not confirm Yes or No on a Verizon 32GB model. Sad.

I appreciate your response but all you have done is provide anecdotal information as well. The referenced poster claimed that Samsung would have to buy back the phone that did not sell. All I asked was some proof of that statement. I didn't say he was wrong (nay say as you put it). In your position I'm sure you are aware of contracts to purchase a certain number of products at a fixed price. many of those contracts do not include a provision for returning unsold devices. Take the Leap Wireless case for example. Leap contracted to buy iPhones from Apple. They were left with $100 million worth of iPhones that they could not sell. There was no requirement for Apple to buy the phones back (Google Leap and iPhone for numerous articles on Leap's problems). I don't know if Samsung has contracts with retailers similar to Apples contract with Leap but apparently neither does the referenced poster.

I'm curious abut you definition about "naysaying" The referenced poster has posted negative comments in at least three positive stories about the S4. Look at post #5 in this thread and decide for your self if that meets your definition of naysaying. Your enthusiasm is appreciated but some sort of factual statement to support the idea that Samsung will be forced to buy back phones would be appreciated.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
How?

Everything I have said is how the supply chain for this industry works.

All sales are are reported from sell in numbers and not sell through.

It is easy to buy an S4 at least in all US retail channels. Nobody is selling out. If they were, we would be hearing about it. Not to mention two reps that would know mentioned this. Sales are fantastic, but plenty of inventory to cover demand.

You are appearing to me as being passive-argumentative ;)

Given your apparent higher ground position, can you tell me if Verizon will offer a 32gb S4? :)

Have a good day!

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
How?

Everything I have said is how the supply chain for this industry works.

All sales are are reported from sell in numbers and not sell through.

It is easy to buy an S4 at least in all US retail channels. Nobody is selling out. If they were, we would be hearing about it. Not to mention two reps that would know mentioned this. Sales are fantastic, but plenty of inventory to cover demand.

You are appearing to me as being passive-argumentative ;)

Given your apparent higher ground position, can you tell me if Verizon will offer a 32gb S4? :)

Have a good day!

Just the reply I expected. You can't prove Samsung has to buy back their phones. You just regurgitated what you said in the first place. And you ignored my points in my rebuttal. Why even respond? Dissembling is not debate. And your personality analysis adds nothing to our discussion. No one said Samsung is selling out their phones.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Everything you have said about a Samsung buy back is opinion stated as fact. Could you provide one, just one, fact to support your opinion?

Not opinion in the slightest. It is a standard part of any vendor contract that the vendor will buy back inventory if sales are slow.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Cut the bickering out. We don't know if they buy back or not and really, it doesn't matter. Of course a civilian who does not work for Samsung or an authorized reseller cannot provide you proof (ie, a copy of the contract or whatever it is you want) because, even if they did work there and knew the protocol of how the contract is written up, it would be against policy to disclose that. Please, let it go.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Cut the bickering out. We don't know if they buy back or not and really, it doesn't matter. Of course a civilian who does not work for Samsung or an authorized reseller cannot provide you proof (ie, a copy of the contract or whatever it is you want) because, even if they did work there and knew the protocol of how the contract is written up, it would be against policy to disclose that. Please, let it go.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

If someone makes a statement as fact why can't they be asked to provide proof of that fact? This discussion is being conducted in a positive manner, no one is calling each other names or violating any of the rules of the forum that I'm aware of. If I am violating those rules please let me know here or in a PM. I certainly don't think we are bickering. Even if we are so what, is there a rule against bickering? I'm enjoying the debate and I assume the other side is as well or they wouldn't be responding. I'm perplexed about what goes on behind the scenes here.