06-19-2013 06:51 PM
63 123
tools
    I think jokouft1 is spot on. You can pick flaws in any phone.

Take the iPhone 5 and iOS, which are both still great. But I used to think the iOS Home button was great, taking me to the Home screen, which would always be the first page to the left.

But now I've realised after switching to the S4, which is my first Andriod, that (a) it's better to be able to select your own Home page and (b) have the middle page as the Home page, so you "flick" fewer pages to get to my desired page.

My only real niggle is that app menus could be a little more consistent and intuitive, but that's probably more due to apps being developed and designed for multiple phones of different sizes and form factors.

That issue though is very likely to iron itself out as manufacturers hone in on a prime form factor and size.

But as jokout1 says, each to their own. Just my 2 cents.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-01-2013 09:03 PM
    Except the Note 3's screen probably.

Posted via Android Central App
    I am so excited for the Note 3. If it is anything like the S4 is to the S3 (bigger screen, better resolution, thinner, smaller bezel, lighter, better processor) I'll be in love!
    06-01-2013 09:04 PM
    You don't need to reboot your phone to pick up a better signal. I don't have that problem only at certain places, sometimes in a restaurant and I use the app "Fresh Network" works like a charm, refreshes network quickly and gives me best signal. I disabled svoice, I find it useless. Nothing else really seems to bother me at all. If you hate the phone that much maybe you should look into the HTC one. We all have different needs with phones.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums
    This sounds like an awesome app

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-01-2013 09:08 PM
    Huh, the only complaint I have is TouchWiz. Thank god for CM10.1 nightlies! (I don't bring this baby with me and I won't until an RC or a stable build is available. Until then, I use my SGSII as a daily driver.)

06-01-2013 09:09 PM
    That's the beauty of Android. If you don't like Touch wiz, you've got plenty of choices, be it CM or the Apex or Nova launcher.

Personally I quite like Touchwiz having tried Nova and Apex launchers. Although Nova and Apex are much "snappier" I prefer the overall look and feel of TW, which is responsive enough for me.
    06-01-2013 09:22 PM
    Good evening Paulwog, if you download Alarmdroid from the play store you will be able to lower volume down to zero & still have the alarm go off at an intensity of your choice. You can even enable the alarm settings to create a custom message to wake up to.
    06-01-2013 09:36 PM
    Almost all those can be fixed except for the Dim light and Battery which I do agree..I'll give u some solutions

- You can switch the camera modes to be side by side by pressing the "4 squares" button when u click mode
    - As for your reception, u DO NOT have to turn ur phone on and off, just put it on Airplane mode for like 5 seconds and turn Airplane Mode off, that should reset your network
    - Use Google Now instead of S-Voice
    - Low light I agree, but its not THAT big of a difference if u mess with the settings
    - Wallpapers, use Wallbase or PicSpeed for HD wallpapers
    - As for sound toggling, get "AudioManager Pro" which lets u set all volumes down or up with just one button
    - The only thing that turns the screen on is the stock messenger, which can be fixed by using a 3rd party messenger
    - Signal Strength issue is more of an area thing than the phone I think, I have pretty good signal strength
    - Battery Life, there are plenty ways to extend to get 4+ hrs of screen time, or you can get an extended battery

If you have any more issues, I can try and assist u with them
    tohio, Aquila and nata_panya like this.
    06-01-2013 09:38 PM
    Great phone, needs 32 gigs of memory on release day, larger battery, and ability to see the screen in bright daylight. Other than that it is a fine phone.
    06-01-2013 10:45 PM
    I am so excited for the Note 3. If it is anything like the S4 is to the S3 (bigger screen, better resolution, thinner, smaller bezel, lighter, better processor) I'll be in love!
    I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case.

06-02-2013 07:04 AM
    Great phone, needs 32 gigs of memory on release day, larger battery, and ability to see the screen in bright daylight. Other than that it is a fine phone.
    I agree it needs some software updates to help with lag and other stuff but still a good phone, as far as screen in sunlight there's a app called lux lite that really helps make it brighter and don't affect my batt

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-02-2013 08:31 AM
    Coming from an iPhone I miss the standard luck screen notifications. There seems to be no standard or even an attempt at anything standard for Android.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-02-2013 08:51 AM
    Coming from an iPhone I miss the standard luck screen notifications. There seems to be no standard or even an attempt at anything standard for Android.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Finding things you miss is a search field away with Android.... . May not be "standard" but at least Android has the apps to usually do what you want with your phone.. Just takes more setup because some people might hate their notifications showing on their lock screen (like me). I personally like the icon at the top left per application and I'll take a look as needed.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...-solution.html

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    06-02-2013 10:24 AM
    Couldn't find this app. Found an app called Network Refresher (trial, lite, & pro versions). Is that the one?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums
    When I first searched for this app, it popped up and I downloaded it. I just went back to get you the link, but now the app that pops up is called Network Signal Speed Booster. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

I think it's the same app, but I'm not completely sure. In the description, it says, "Fresh Network has been coded with the latest Android API insuring the best and most recent development in the Android World", so I think it's the same. Hopefully Gummyjelly can confirm this.
    06-02-2013 11:47 AM
    Hi everyone, I don't have a lot of issues for the most part it's an awesome device but if you want a list here it is

I still have overheating problems

There is still the text smearing when scrolling

Some earphones will have a small static sound every now and again

Camera is very god but it takes that extra half second before it snaps the picture I'm used to the quick snap of my camera and ipod touch, but pics are excellent

Connectivity issues also in certain places which may or may not be the device but it's happening too often even right now I'm on my wifi at home because I could not connect

Hut honestly it is an awesome device it just needs to workout a couple of small kinks

06-02-2013 12:59 PM
    --It does run a bit warm. That concerns me a little in terms of life of the innards and the SD card, especially when there's a case on it, which I would bet increases the heat.

--I had to buy a widget pack to get the type of multi-day weather widget HTC used to provide. That's a whole $1.99 but still....

Other than that, I'm awfully happy.

NB: I certainly agree with battery issues, but as noted in another thread, battery tech is not keeping up with devices. Battery complaints are par for the course with small devices. This is not unique to S4 or Samsung.
    06-02-2013 02:00 PM
    1. I've never liked Touchwiz, it's simply too big and bloated. I prefer either stock, or extremely light weight skins. If I wanted a bunch of features which are more useful for their advertising than they are in real world use, I'll download apps.You went way too overboard, Samsung and it shows.

2. Button layout. Simply put, I hate it, along with physical home buttons which are a 2008 thing.
    06-02-2013 02:11 PM
    I hate the fact I can no longer S beam music like I could with the S3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    06-02-2013 02:46 PM
    1. I've never liked Touchwiz, it's simply too big and bloated. I prefer either stock, or extremely light weight skins. If I wanted a bunch of features which are more useful for their advertising than they are in real world use, I'll download apps.You went way too overboard, Samsung and it shows.

2. Button layout. Simply put, I hate it, along with physical home buttons which are a 2008 thing.
    I concur. I also want to say that no phone is perfect (at least for me). HTC One has a moronic button layout that you can't even disable and has a curved back (can't use while flat on the desk for example). Nexus 4 is fragile and doesn't come with LTE (I'm on Verizon). So I went with GS4 and this is my first Samsung phone.

1. I've read many times that TouchWiz is bloated but I thought maybe it's just when compared to iPhone. Well, it really is unnecessarily complex and I've had nothing but Android phones/Tablets. Laggy too for this HW.
    2. Button layout my biggest gripe because it's hard to mask it since it's not SW. It baffles my mind that OEMs think that making inconsistent (from pure Android) button layouts will somehow attract the customers. I guess they want to "lock" you in on their user experience.... Samsung also sells a ton of phones so they won't change.
    3. Very sensitive screen but it may be just the launcher I'm using (ADWLauncher EX). I installed it right away so I haven't had much experience with stock launcher.
    4. Bloat bloat bloat bloat! My God! Verizon stuffed it with crap (especially apps) I never intend to use and I can't even uninstall them.... yeah yeah I know they can be frozen.

Anyway, I can't wait for the Google Edition ROM to come out for Verizon so I can flush it. I basically bought this phone for the HW and this was my intent. Will disable the capacitive buttons to make it like true Nexus with SW buttons and this will be my phone for the next 2+ years.
    I LOVE the simplicity but yet flexibility and cleanliness of the stock Android.
    06-02-2013 06:11 PM
    Couldn't find this app. Found an app called Network Refresher (trial, lite, & pro versions). Is that the one?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums
    Sorry you know how it is with apps, the app itself sometimes has a different name when it's downloaded under the icon. It's called network signal speed booster.
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    06-02-2013 06:33 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks it's okay in sunlight? Then again I avoid the sunlight most of the time.
    06-02-2013 06:41 PM
    Sorry you know how it is with apps, the app itself sometimes has a different name when it's downloaded under the icon. It's called network signal speed booster.
    All it does is toggle Airplane mode,which can be done without this app.
    06-02-2013 06:43 PM
    All it does is toggle Airplane mode,which can be done without this app.
    Yup! That's true, you don't need an app to do something you can do easily on the phone.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
    06-02-2013 08:34 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks it's okay in sunlight? Then again I avoid the sunlight most of the time.
    No, I have no problem reading the screen in a bright sunlight too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-03-2013 11:07 PM
    This phone is too half-baked for my liking
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-04-2013 11:13 AM
    I hate the fact I can no longer S beam music like I could with the S3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    You should be able to...why can't you?
    06-04-2013 12:43 PM
63 123