What I don't like about the S4. What's your list?

PaulWog

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Here's a little compilation of things I don't like about the S4. Don't get me wrong, I have a large list of things I love about the phone. However, some of the downsides (for me) may sway me toward a new phone in 2 years, or even 1 year from now.

All the same, it's a great phone. I could go on about the things I love about it, but here's most of the stuff I've noticed I don't like about the phone.

What have you found to be a pain?

The big downsides:
- The touchscreen is *TOO* sensitive, even with the ultra-sensitivity feature turned off. It will go off sometimes when I am just off from the keyboard instead of touching it, causing text messages to result in sloppy typing. Swiping is fine, but sometimes I prefer thumb-typing with the autocorrect on Swiftkey.
- Battery life is not good. The 2600mah battery, which seems great on paper, ends up being torn apart by the screen.
- The screen is *way* too dim in sunlight. It has to be maxed out (resulting in terrible battery life) to even slightly see it on a sunny day.
- I live in an area with poor reception. When I'm down in my basement and wake up in the morning, sometimes I have to reboot the phone or else it won't access my network (even if I drive out into areas with good reception). It can go into a mode where it says there's no signal found, which is odd and very annoying.

The little downsides:
- The camera cannot be customized to have favorite settings side-by-side. I want to be able to switch between panorama, HDR, and automatic quickly without wheeling through the other settings. Often times I'll want an HDR shot, and then I'll want to switch to automatic. Sports mode is also very useful (sometimes automatic doesn't work too well for high motion and sports mode tends to work out well), and it would be nice to have that at easier access.
- The sound settings are all over the place. I can toggle my sound down to vibrate, and then if I open up a game it'll blast at full volume. Having to manually ensure the sound is muted on each setting is a pain.
- The sound issue extends into the alarm clock. If my sound isn't up, my alarm clock won't go off. However, I like going to sleep without sounds going off on me at night.
- The automatic setting for the alarm clock (which can't seem to be changed) is to use an alarm sound which is too melodious and easy to sleep through. This default alarm setting has to be changed manually. So, when I double-click to enter into S-Voice and set my alarm for 7AM, I'd like to be done with it there rather than manually click through my phone to edit that alarm's settings.
- Notifications and alarms turn on the screen, and often leave the screen on until they are dealt with. This is an issue, since batteries die!!
- Certain features just aren't intuitive, and require customization to be all that useful. Some of the customization required can't be done even with apps, so it leaves me with a "highly customizable phone" that isn't really able to be made that convenient in a pinch.
- Boot times aren't absolutely ideal.
- S-Voice could definitely be better, and have more features built in.
- "Drive" mode could use some improvements. It really isn't helpful when driving a lot of the time.
- The signal strength in poor signal areas on the S4 is significantly worse than even cheap blackberries, or any 4S or iPhone 5. Consistently.
- The camera is pretty terrible in low-light shots. The difference between daylight and low-light shots is ridiculous. There isn't a lot in the way of competition as far as night-shots go with a camera-phone, but still!.

Silly picky things:
- I've noticed some glitches when unlocking the phone after turning the screen off while using the camera. Half the screen will do a weird blip thing and then return to normal.
- Where the screen panel meets the metallic-like plastic, dirt can slightly wedge itself in there.
- There could be more unlock effects provided.
- Would be nice to have some darker wallpapers provided. It's hard to find decent wallpapers (saves some battery life).
- Unlocking the phone using a num-pad password requires "ok" to be clicked after entering the code. It should simply unlock automatically once you've entered the correct code, or at least have an option to allow for this.

Personal:
- I've found that a 5-inch screen is slightly too bulky for me. It fits in my pocket, but ideally I might go for something more along the lines of 4.5 inches, or even 4 inches... that's what I'd call ideal.
- The headphones that are included with the phone suck. That's fine. However, they're designed to seal to your ear (which is meant to boost bass and seal out noise), and I'd much prefer a sit-in design which is easier to put in, and can be used with one earpiece in while driving, etc.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I found most of your comments about the S4 to be about spot on as I also own the S4. I gave it to my daughter and picked me up the stealth black One and couldn't be happier.

Armifera Fatum

May 18, 2013
Visit site
A little obsessive compulsive if you ask me..why make a thread about what you don't like about the phone? It's your responsibility from day one to go through the settings and features and customizations of the phone before you make that 2 year commitment, hence the demo units available to you in the store, as for your 5in bulky comment..you should have known what the phone looked like and felt like before you bought it a tad late to complain now.. In conclusion Samsung or any cellphone manufacturer for that matter can't and won't bend over for everyone's quirky needs and wants because NOONE will ever be satisfied even if they got everything the wanted in their phone..should have done a little more research before making your purchase.. Not to sound like a jerk ;) just tired of everyone complaining that these manufacturers don't always give you what you want..tough love people tough love. As for me I'm still an IPhone 4S user BUT I've been in and out of the store checking out the S4 making sure it's something I want for the next 2 years before I make the commitment :)

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I too agree with your dislikes, but as you stated, there is much to love about the S4. Even with the downsides you list, I'm very happy with the S4 so far.

With regard to your alarm issue, you might want to try Timeriffic (free in the Market). I use it to mute everything at scheduled times, then adjust specific volumes at specific times. You can set up multiple profiles by day(s)and time(s).

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
For camera modes, do you want something like this?

yse5equp.jpg

Also what notifications turn the screen on other than calls and and alarms?

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with some on your list. However I'm pleasantly surprised with battery life. I've gotten close (and probably could have exceeded in some cases) 5 hours of screen time. I consider the battery life to be fantastic. Maybe signal strength comes into play here.

My biggest peeve is the small amount of room at the bottom of the screen for the buttons and that the home is a physical button.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The things that made me give it up after only a week were the small screen, less than stellar battery performance and the sometimes noticeable lag.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to reboot your phone to pick up a better signal. I don't have that problem only at certain places, sometimes in a restaurant and I use the app "Fresh Network" works like a charm, refreshes network quickly and gives me best signal. I disabled svoice, I find it useless. Nothing else really seems to bother me at all. If you hate the phone that much maybe you should look into the HTC one. We all have different needs with phones.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to reboot your phone to pick up a better signal. I don't have that problem only at certain places, sometimes in a restaurant and I use the app "Fresh Network" works like a charm, refreshes network quickly and gives me best signal. I disabled svoice, I find it useless. Nothing else really seems to bother me at all. If you hate the phone that much maybe you should look into the HTC one. We all have different needs with phones.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the recommendation of "Fresh Network"!

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic comments. You should be reviewing phones for a blog - such as this one perhaps.
Very happy to see your comment about the screen sensitivity. I noticed that just breathing on the screen results in a "touch" (slight exaggeration.)

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll agree it has some stuff wrong, I own both the s4 and the one, as of now the one is much more solid of a daily driver for me, some reasons are no lag, and screen easier to see in sunlight, plus better speakers, there's a few others but those are the main, now I do love my s4 and there both great phones, I'm hoping future updates help with lag and my gestures and other sensor related things that only works 25 percent of the time for me, also love having much more internal storage on my one being 64gb, now again both good phones but maybe the one would be a better choice for you

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with just about every part of this as well, I am 100% sure you just recently switched from an iPhone, (as I did) they just work. I am hoping some of these things get resolved with updates, going to stick to it for now. I would switch to the HTC One, but that camera limits me to much, megapixels ARE important if you do alot of photo cropping, which is important. The galaxy s4 camera is incredible in good light, finally one better than the iPhone 5, which rocked.

I have told myself I am going to stick it out with this phone, mainly because I am just bored with IOS. But find myself looking at a Nokia 920 to give windows phone a try as the S4 can be VERY frustrating at times. Consistency is important, this phone is not.

If there was a 4.5 or 5" iPhone i probably would not have switched, but Apple is hard headed some times.

Going to try some custom roms before I give in on this phone, I am hoping they will resolve alot of these issues.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
While you make some good comments that do tend to be annoying, some are also easily remodied, and some are a result of your specific conditions!
In the month now with my S4, I have experienced what I consider VERY good battery life running normally 15-17 hrs off battery with reserve left in the tank with a couple times running 27-28 hrs in a pinch! Normally I tend to run around 3+ hrs of screen time, podcasts/internet and a few calls/texts a day. I have found that I had a lot of apps trying to sinc/run in the backround that I needed to get under control to help with the battery life/data! Once I did a little maintainance, both of these areas increased dramatically!
I also found after a bit of messing around with the camera settings that I could REALLY improve the low-light performance by adjusting a few settings with some advice from a photog buddy...I turn on Night Mode then tweak the the ISO to 400, then turn down the pixel density to 6MP, (If your not blowing up the pics, why collect 13MP of data...at least that is what the HTC One fans say!), and it is amazing what this camera sensor will pic up...it almost turns into a low level night vision!
The point here is, with ANY Android phone, there are going to be little things you don't like, but that is the best part of Android, it can be fixed/tweaked/changed to your liking, and I dare say the GS4 is the most adjustable/tweakable phone every made! There is a setting for practially everything on the phone and given the popularity this phone already has and will continue to generate in the future, there will be apps/fixes for every aspect of this device from Samsung and more importantly developers down the line!
Last note: While we naturally think the S4 is a great device and love it, the fact remains that no one device is the best for everyone! It is much better in the long run that you find the right device for you and your happy then to stick with something that just plain annoys you...that's the great thing about choice!

Cheers

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
something I wanted to add on the battery issue, I recently took a weekend trip to a place that had minimum 4 bars of LTE coverage 100% of the time, the life of my battery improved dramatically, I was shocked. The phone not constantly switching between 4g then to LTE and searching for a signal all the time makes a HUGE difference.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, nothing major. I rarely use the Camera but I also don't give two ***** about it. Not into Photography.

It is slippery.

I forgot, it cost more to unlock.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The things that made me give it up after only a week were the small screen, less than stellar battery performance and the sometimes noticeable lag.

The battery life could be better, but seriously? Small screen? Compared to a phablet, sure but still its one of the biggest screens put there.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So.. you want a smaller, phone, 4" with a much smaller pixel density, better camera for your uses (without having to tweak settings)... I know a company that makes that, but it's not Samsung.