06-17-2013 02:57 PM
68 123
tools
    Installing now.

This app correct?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...snapdragon.app

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    06-05-2013 04:00 PM
    I should add that I suspect it will work well because it worked well when I had those location history/sharing and many of the Google Now cards shut off. I had Tasker on and my battery life still improved a lot. The only potential issue I could see is if the Battery Guru for some reason decided not to update my position as often as Tasker wants and that would cause those profiles to change slower than I want.
    06-05-2013 04:04 PM
    First full charge on Guru... Taken right as it ticked to 82%. Like what I see so far! I also downloaded Wakelock detector. Turns out Messenger and Voicemail are big offenders! No idea how to lessen Voicemail (cleared cache/data, unsubbed from VVM trial), but I uninstalled Messenger.

06-05-2013 07:41 PM
    Eversince I turned off Google Now, my battery has been BETTER than with Google Now. I had a feeling Google Now took a lot of battery
    06-05-2013 08:12 PM
    First full charge with Guru. Pretty good so far. 13+ hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Awesome S4 Battery-uploadfromtaptalk1370542787811.jpg   Awesome S4 Battery-uploadfromtaptalk1370542769250.jpg   Awesome S4 Battery-uploadfromtaptalk1370542780675.jpg  
    06-06-2013 01:20 PM
    Irony. What could Guru be doing that would make it drain my battery like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Awesome S4 Battery-screenshot_2013-06-06-20-26-16.jpg   Awesome S4 Battery-screenshot_2013-06-06-20-23-20.jpg  
    06-06-2013 07:33 PM
    Irony. What could Guru be doing that would make it drain my battery like this?
    Would have to be something location based. Try turning off Wifi management and see if that helps.

Also, a screenshot of breaking 3:00 at 50%. Finally content with the battery on this device. Thanks to Guru, I guess. As well as a few other tweaks.

06-07-2013 10:28 AM
    Day one of having Battery Guru going while leaving Google Now and background location reporting/history on and I haven't been impressed. It appeared to be slightly better than before, but I could have also used my phone less than before. I haven't been scientific enough with keeping screenshots to be sure. Last night I was at about 40% at the end of the day with <2h of screen time. I'm going to give it some time like this to see if Google Now starts to take less battery. I may end up just living with it becasue don't normally use my phone all that much, anyway, and the Google Now features can be pretty useful, but it's nice to know what I can do to get better battery life if needed.

As a side note, I did realize this morning that I had some motions and gestures turned on that I don't use so I turned them off this morning. I'm not expecting a big increase off of that, but I guess you never know.
    06-07-2013 10:39 AM
    Would have to be something location based. Try turning off Wifi management and see if that helps.

Also, a screenshot of breaking 3:00 at 50%. Finally content with the battery on this device. Thanks to Guru, I guess. As well as a few other tweaks.

http://i.imgur.com/OlYCB38.png
    That's what I'm talking about. This what my battery stats look like.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-07-2013 10:41 AM
    Been using snapdragon battery guru for awhile but I'm only getting 4 hours screen time/:

Any suggestions? Btw I have power saver on and auto brightness

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Awesome S4 Battery-uploadfromtaptalk1370662487282.jpg   Awesome S4 Battery-uploadfromtaptalk1370662503986.jpg  
    06-07-2013 10:35 PM
    Been using snapdragon battery guru for awhile but I'm only getting 4 hours screen time/:

Any suggestions? Btw I have power saver on and auto brightness

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    Anyone??

Posted via Android Central App
    06-09-2013 05:01 PM
    I'm a few days out of learning mode and I went from just under 4 hours to just over 5 hours of screen time and just over a day off the charger. I've never had a smartphone perform that well. I carried extra batteries and had an external charger for both the HTC Thunderbolt and the Rezound. I still will likely pick up an extra battery when the prices drop, but it's not a necessity and the peace of mind is nice. Thanks for everyone's input in this thread, I never would have heard of this app otherwise.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    06-09-2013 06:57 PM
    I was getting worse time with guru. So I just un installed it. I went from going easily throughout the day without having to charge to getting till 4 or 5 and being empty. I'll come back to it if it gets better but for now had to uninstall.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-09-2013 10:18 PM
    I've been running Battery Guru for over a week now and it's seemed to help. I don't have any hard data saved, but I'm also skeptical of how "hard" it really is considering just how many options there are and how differently we all use our phones. I used my phone more than normal during the last week and I'd go to bed at around 50% battery left (~1-2 hours of screen time) rather than at 20% (<1 hour of screen time) like I was seeing before. I have location (net only) based Tasker profiles set up, I'm leaving WiFi on all the time, I have all Google Now cards enabled, I have location history enabled, but the other location sharing options turned off. I have most, if not all of the Samsung extra features turned off. I'm not sure how much of this can be attributed to BatteryGuru, but things have gotten better.

I've heard that after a "learning" period that Google Now starts taking less battery, so that might be contributing.

I uninstalled the updates for Maps once and that took Maps from 15%-20% battery usage down to closer to 5%. Google Services is a larger contributor now, but it combined with Maps is a smaller percent than I saw in the past.

As a side note, I spent a few hours in a place with terrible reception and that sucked the battery really quickly and caused my phone to warm up while I was using it.

I'm not getting super amazing screen time like some are seeing, but it's at least as good as I need and I like the extra, location based functionality I haven't had in the past. If anything that stuff reduces the amount of screen time I actually need.
    06-17-2013 10:57 AM
    Had my S4 for less than a day now and it's really taking me some time to get used to the battery drain.
    It's a friggin beast of a phone, but it does require feeding.
    I did my first full charge overnite and I'm at 62% and 7 hours off charge. Screen is nearly 2 hours.
    That's without this guru app that I might try after a day or so.
    I have all those gimmicks turned off...they didn't work anyway. No data sync, FB/email off. And that's me anyways. I'll check em when I want. I don't like notices popping up except texts. And using that Power Saver mode. No widgets. Weatherbug though running.
    All in all I'm in love with this phone.
    The battery, well...it's not fair because I'm coming from a Maxx that I could go heavy use for nearly 2 days without a charge.
    Thanks for this post, I want to know more about how to conserve battery because:
    This phone is worth the effort.
    Especially cause i can use it to remote my TV.
    p.s. I did read where it's recommended to not leave it on charge overnite. Charge for a couple of hours during the day. Leaving it on to overcharge, they say, can make the battery do weird things. So, charge it when you can see it's 100% and take it off charge. I dunno..just sayn.
    06-17-2013 12:48 PM
    p.s. I did read where it's recommended to not leave it on charge overnite. Charge for a couple of hours during the day. Leaving it on to overcharge, they say, can make the battery do weird things. So, charge it when you can see it's 100% and take it off charge. I dunno..just sayn.
    I don't believe that's an issue. I think that someone read somewhere that overcharging a Li-Ion battery is bad (which it is) and then came up with that advice but they failed to take into account that pretty much every device and/or battery pack has ways of preventing that. 4.2V is normally regarded as the normal, max voltage a Li-Ion pack will take to allow for maximum life without gimping the capacity. Going higher can cause the batteries to wear significantly faster. So the charger just puts out a maximum of 4.2V so it is incapable of overcharging the battery. The batteries like the ones used in cell phones have protection circuitry that prevent them from taking much more than that. So 100% charge doesn't mean you've charged the battery to 100% of it's absolute maximum, it's 100% of the safe maximum. At that point the battery is no longer accepting charge (there's no voltage potential "pushing" charge into it) and your phone is just running off the charger.
    Calidoc likes this.
    06-17-2013 01:07 PM
    The past few days Google Location services is destroying my battery. I'm currently down to 30% with 2 hours of screen time and Google services has used 38% of the battery. Battery guru requires me to leave on location services. Everything was going very smoothly the past week, but now battery life is markedly worse.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    06-17-2013 02:37 PM
    I didn't have good luck with this program. I uninstalled and reset my phone and it's much better now.
    06-17-2013 02:57 PM
68 123