Anyone know how to charge the phone using usb cable plugged to car usb outlet. I have used before same cable with Galaxy s3 and never had problems to have notification bar blinking connecting to media. Any ideas how to finally have my usb cable connect to my car usb port and other end to phone and charge my phone

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    06-02-2013 12:52 AM
    Your phone may say its connected as a media device, but it should still charge. If not, try turning media device thing off, or turning the phone off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    speed13 likes this.
    06-02-2013 01:14 AM
    Is your car's USB output 1.0amp or less? Buy a cig. lighter charger with 2.0 or 2.1amp and use the OEM S4 charger cable. I've tested it myself using different combinations of OEM S4 charger, after market charger, OEM cable and non-OEM cable and found out non-OEM charger/cable combo takes noticeably longer to charge than OEM charger/cable combo.
    06-02-2013 02:53 AM
    Is your car's USB output 1.0amp or less? Buy a cig. lighter charger with 2.0 or 2.1amp and use the OEM S4 charger cable. I've tested it myself using different combinations of OEM S4 charger, after market charger, OEM cable and non-OEM cable and found out non-OEM charger/cable combo takes noticeably longer to charge than OEM charger/cable combo.
    I have Hyundai Sonata 2013, I don't know if is 1 or 2amp?

06-02-2013 10:32 AM
    Your phone may say its connected as a media device, but it should still charge. If not, try turning media device thing off, or turning the phone off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    How to turn off media off?

06-02-2013 10:36 AM
    I had couple of old car chargers (1.0amp max output) I used to charge my iPhone and it wouldn't charge my S4. Your best bet is to get a 2.0amp car charger adapter and use OEM USB cable. I bought both from eBay and they're pretty cheap.
    speed13 likes this.
    06-02-2013 03:00 PM
    I tried my original usb cable and still have issues. It's showing connecting to media and constantly randomly blinking notification bar blinking

06-04-2013 12:18 AM
    I thought USB in the car was only for playing music. No charging.

John

- - - Updated - - -

I thought USB in the car was only for playing music. No charging.

John
    06-04-2013 07:54 AM
    The issue with iPod/iPhone chargers is they use a different mechanism to let the device know it can charge faster than 0.5A. If you want faster charging with those chargers on a Samsung phone (or anything that isn't also iPod/iPhone compatible) you'll need a special cable that is different from the one Samsung provides. The one Samsung gives you is just a normal USB cable. You'll need one with the data lines tied together, which means it won't work for data transfer.

I think thehatguy might be on to something. You may want to check your car's manual to see what exactly the USB port can do.
    06-04-2013 09:19 AM
    The issue with iPod/iPhone chargers is they use a different mechanism to let the device know it can charge faster than 0.5A. If you want faster charging with those chargers on a Samsung phone (or anything that isn't also iPod/iPhone compatible) you'll need a special cable that is different from the one Samsung provides. The one Samsung gives you is just a normal USB cable. You'll need one with the data lines tied together, which means it won't work for data transfer.

I think thehatguy might be on to something. You may want to check your car's manual to see what exactly the USB port can do.
    Thanks for your input, but I never had issues with charging with same usb cable. Example I had galaxy s2, galaxy s3 and both of the phones work great and charging, so what would cause s4 not charging no idea?
    See photo and the notification constantly flashing. Is there way to disable media in the phone?

06-04-2013 09:46 AM