07-08-2013 07:36 AM
77 1234
tools
    I just switched from the iphone, as did my boyfriend. I had the exact same concerns as you, having been a loyal apple consumer since the first iPhone. Android does take a bit of getting used to, it took me about 2 weeks but I know feel like a pro haha. The way I see it, is you have so much more control of the experience you get on android, rather then being limited on experience and customization on the iphone. I found that for almost every app I used on iphone, there is the same app on android or an equivalent. I looked at lots of videos comparing the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 before making my decision, and it was really a no brainer.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-02-2013 05:46 PM
    Advice from a long-time Android user: the reason people don't worry about in-OS visual voicemail is that US residents have access to something much cooler -- Google Voice.

You can use it for many, many things but the simplest is just as VVM *plus automatic transcriptions*. I don't even listen to my voice mail any more, because Voice transcriptions are good enough to get what you need to know.

By the way, if you switch, don't forget to turn off iMessage beforehand.
    boozeman27 likes this.
    06-02-2013 05:54 PM
    I switched over from Iphone 5. This is my first Android. Previous smartphones were Palm - pre, Iphone 4, I phone5.

1. I haven't had any problems with my Galaxy s4. I had many problems with Kies. Program absolutely is horrible.
    2. I transferred my I cloud contacts to my gmail account. It was actually pretty easy. I then downloaded all of my music from Icloud. I then transferred them to a micro sd that is in the S4 as we speak. I have been listening to all my music without a glitch.
    3. I amstill learning to tweak and i am constantly playing with it learning all the ins and outs. Battery life seems to be the same but I can't tell because I am using this phone so much more now.
    4. Can't comment on the durability. I have a Spiegen hybrid case around mine. Makes it seem big but I can hold it securely and gives me peace of mind if I drop it.

I love mine . Making the switch has been fun and enjoyable.
    06-02-2013 06:15 PM
    Thinking of switching back to iPhone 5 this week from S4. I just think IOS is more solid...pretty...even on the apps that have an Android version, the iPhone ones look better. Two hesitations I have are back button and large screen. le sigh
    06-02-2013 07:51 PM
    1) Yes. Time will tell on longevity but absolutely no reason to believe otherwise.
    2) Depends. Many 3rd party apps exist to facilitate music transfer, including Google Music itself which I prefer. Note that if you bought songs off iTunes that are DRM protected, Apple won't let you transfer that content to ANY other platform. Blame Apple directly for that complication.
    3) Excellent. 15 to 20 hrs with 3 to 5 hrs screen time. YMWV.
    4) Polycarbonate is as durable as aluminum and is more impact resistant. Just ask a materials engineer. Materials selection comes down to preference. I always run with a case so the issue is moot. If feel is important, buy an aluminum back plate or case. However, these could interfere with NFC and signal (still haven't seen confirmation).

It seems most making the shift need a few weeks to settle in. Once they're comfortable, they usually wonder why they waited to switch.

Posted via Android Central App
    3-5 hours screen time is excellent? My iPhone 5 does 10-12 hours of actual screen time usage with over 20 hours stand by. I was considering grabbing the s4 as a second phone but that battery will not last long enough for me

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    06-02-2013 09:06 PM
    One of the great benefits: get a spare battery. Never worry again. Cost maybe $20.00 with charger. One of the big reasons I still roll with Galaxy series.
    06-02-2013 09:28 PM
    Went from the original Motorola Droid to HTC Incredible to iPhone 4, and now back to Android on the S4.
    06-02-2013 09:31 PM
    One of the great benefits: get a spare battery. Never worry again. Cost maybe $20.00 with charger. One of the big reasons I still roll with Galaxy series.
    I like the fact that I don't need a spare battery at all because my battery life is excellent less to carry around .

LTE all day today from 8 am it's now 9:30 and I still have 50 percent left

And there is also cases with batteries built in if I really needed it but so far I'm not impressed in hearing how poor the battery life in the s4 is.. I'm a heavy user I want a second phone so I can have android as well

06-02-2013 09:32 PM
    Thinking of switching back to iPhone 5 this week from S4. I just think IOS is more solid...pretty...even on the apps that have an Android version, the iPhone ones look better. Two hesitations I have are back button and large screen. le sigh
    I have both and every time I pick up my iPhone 5 I can not imagine going back to that screen every again. I will probably sell off my iPhone 5 soon and just use my iPad for development.
    06-02-2013 11:58 PM
    This is one thing I don't understand about Apple. There are MANY who feel this exact same way. Why not produce two screen sizes? A 4" and a 5" (or similar that have the same screen ratio and resolution)? I'm not a developer, so maybe I'm thinking too simply, but wouldn't identical ratio/resolutions allow for single apps to perform on both screen sizes? Again, I'm not a developer, so I might be VERY wrong. Regardless, Apple could diversify and still retain a high degree of "non-fragmentation", which they covet.
    06-03-2013 08:16 AM
    The Mrs. has an iPhone 5. She cannot get over 5 hrs of screen time (typical use, light gaming and browser) with brightness at 50%. Her friends, also with iPhone 5's have similar results. They can generate similar standby (as can I on my S4) as you mention, but never these results together. Care to share your secret? I'll pass it along.

TomsAndroid likes this.
    06-03-2013 09:13 AM
    The Mrs. has an iPhone 5. She cannot get over 5 hrs of screen time (typical use, light gaming and browser) with brightness at 50%. Her friends, also with iPhone 5s have similar results. They can generate similar standby (as can I on my S4) as you mention, but never these results together. Care to share your secret? I'll pass it along.

Yeah, I'd like to know also. My two daughters have iPhones and they are lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of screen time before the phone dies.
    06-03-2013 09:15 AM
    Haha, nobody is getting 10-12 hours screen on time with an iP5. Sorry, it just ain't happening.

For all the iOS users looking to make the switch, don't worry about battery life. I run 100% brightness with LTE & GPS on 24/7 and I NEVER have to think about charging my S4, regardless of usage.
    TomsAndroid and orion575 like this.
    06-03-2013 09:19 AM
    I just switched from the iphone, as did my boyfriend. I had the exact same concerns as you, having been a loyal apple consumer since the first iPhone. Android does take a bit of getting used to, it took me about 2 weeks but I know feel like a pro haha. The way I see it, is you have so much more control of the experience you get on android, rather then being limited on experience and customization on the iphone. I found that for almost every app I used on iphone, there is the same app on android or an equivalent. I looked at lots of videos comparing the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 before making my decision, and it was really a no brainer.
    Yea I've been a long time Apple user, I have an iPad which I also use for University. I'm more worried about getting use to andriod, and the Samsung Galaxy S4 phone because I have never had a Samsung phone before. The reason I want to switch is because I feel Apple are not doing anything innovative at the moment, and I want more contour over my phone, more customisation of the home screen, widgets, Live wallpapers and so on. I'm willing to take the time to learn Andriod I'm just a little apprehensive with bring an Apple iPhone user since the 3GS.
    06-03-2013 10:50 AM
    I have been thinking about switching to the Galaxy S4, however a couple of things consern me, 1- is the S4 as reliable as my iPhone as been? 2- How easy is it to switch over (I have a lot of content on iTunes). 3- Hows the battery life? And 4- Do you find the plastic of the S4 more durable? I would appreciate any advice as I'm unsure if I should switch or not! I have not used Andriod before.
    Of all the Android devices out right now, the nexus 4 is what I would recommend for former i-Users. Simply because it has a very smooth UI that is comparable to an iPhone and always get updates first. With the possible exception of the HTC One, most Android devices will look laggy to some degree compared to the iPhone. That being said:

1 - I would say yes. If you can get used to Touchwiz, it should be as reliable as an iPhone. The OS is pretty solid. I have a lot of complaints about Touchwiz, but reliability isn't one of them.

2 - I do not let iTunes manage my music and I recommend you don't either. Android allows you to manage files directly instead of forcing you to "sync". I still buy music on iTunes (it does have a massive library and the pricing is good), but I immediately convert them to MP3 and sever ties with iTunes. There are apps that will still sync iTunes if you can't let go; I have heard that Doubletwist is awesome. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idPlayer&hl=en

3 - Battery life is probably decent, but even if it was not it would not matter...you can upgrade it. I can tell you from personal experience that upgradable batteries are just awesome. Being able to go through 2 days on a charge without having to turn anything down or off is such a luxury.

4 - I definitely think the S4 is more durable. The plastic body may not be pretty, but it is a lot less likely to break.
    sooner7, Dural and orion575 like this.
    06-03-2013 11:30 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Over the last 18 months I have begun getting tried of Apple and there small updates in regards to phones (3Gs then the 4, 4S and now the 5) rumours have it that the iPhone 5S will be nothing but a small update and nothing major. Over the last month or so I have been thinking about switching to the Galaxy S4, however a couple of things consern me, 1- is the S4 as reliable as my iPhone as been? 2- How easy is it to switch over (I have a lot of content on iTunes). 3- Hows the battery life? And 4- Do you find the plastic of the S4 more durable?
    I would appreciate any advice as I'm unsure if I should switch or not! I have not used Andriod before.

1. I've only had the S4 and Jelly Bean for a week and a half now and while it's a major improvment over Gingerbread, I don't think it's as stable as iOS. If you use an SD card there's a chance you'll see some sort of issue that requires a restart from time to time and you'll get the occasional "force close" on an app, but those issues are minor. So far it's been more like a weekly orrurance rather than a daily one. What you give up in stability you'll gain many times over in customizeability (that's a word now).

2. As others have pointed out, music bought before April of 2009 and all movies/TV shows (AFAIK) have DRM that will need to be stripped. After that you just have to decide if you want to ditch iTunes altogether as your music manager of choice or if you want to get your phone to work with iTunes. If you decide to switch music managers just make sure you have a good way to get your music onto a SD card unless you buy a S4 with more than 16GB of storage. For example, Google Play Music won't let you "pin" songs to an SD card so you're stuck either streaming, not pinning that many songs or manually transferring songs to your SD card. If you're OK with iTunes or are forced to use it then there are apps like iSyncr that will allow you to synch whatever music you want from iTunes to your internal memory or SD card (assuming no DRM). Some of them will let you synch stuff like playlist updates and play counts back to iTunes from you phone. iSyncr does that, it will backwards sync Amazon MP3's you buy on your phone and you can upload photos and videos back into iTunes as well.

3. My wife has an iPhone 5 and after some tweaks (disabling the location tracking stuff) we get pretty similar battery life.

4. IMO the biggest concern is the larger screen. A bigger, thin piece of glass is just easier to break than a smaller one. So in that regard the iPhone is probably more durable, but so is just about any 4.3" screen phone. I've seen aluminum backs for the S4 for sale but I haven't seen any reviews of them.

If you want to see just how customizeable the UI is, check out:

Beautiful Android Themes, Wallpapers, and Homescreens

Nearly every function of you phone can also be replaced with an app that handles things differently. There's also an app called Tasker that will allow you to customize just about everything else. People have replicated S4 features on older phones and created their own voice activated home and A/V control systems using it. If you're a little familiar with programming and/or are willing to learn how to use it it's actually pretty easy to get about whatever you want done.
    06-03-2013 11:30 AM
    If you use an SD card there's a chance you'll see some sort of issue that requires a restart from time to time and you'll get the occasional "force close" on an app, but those issues are minor.
    As an aside...iOS apps also force close all the time. The reason that no one notices is that the OS does not inform you when this happens...it just re-opens the app. Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes

My experience with the Galaxy S3 was that force-closes were very rare. With the amount of RAM these new phones have nowadays, you probably will not see those anymore.
    06-03-2013 11:39 AM
    My experience with the Galaxy S3 was that force-closes were very rare. With the amount of RAM these new phones have nowadays, you probably will not see those anymore.
    Thats what i hoping for :-) I've not owned an Android phone before so i'm unsure on its stability
    06-03-2013 12:55 PM
    Also, JeffDenver nailed it when he said nexus devices would be best for someone transitioning from iOS to android.

Stock android will deliver the UI consistency that iOS does, it also looks really good.
    Updates straight from Google, which is the equivalent of updates pushed from apple.
    The hardware on the current Nexus phone, the Nexus 4, is in the same build quality bracket that the iPhones are in.
    06-03-2013 01:25 PM
    Also, JeffDenver nailed it when he said nexus devices would be best for someone transitioning from iOS to android.

Stock android will deliver the UI consistency that iOS does, it also looks really good.
    Updates straight from Google, which is the equivalent of updates pushed from apple.
    The hardware on the current Nexus phone, the Nexus 4, is in the same build quality bracket that the iPhones are in.
    What would be the difference between that and Samsung Galaxy S4?
    06-03-2013 01:27 PM
    Thats what i hoping for :-) I've not owned an Android phone before so i'm unsure on its stability
    The only reason why there is some unstablness is because of how much is involved.... Samsung > UI > Google > ARM chips > Linux Kernels > Android OS
    But to be honest. They have come a long way and I see more unstableness on my friends Iphone5 vs his S4. The S4 is an amazing phone. But all preference.
    06-03-2013 02:00 PM
    The only reason why there is some unstablness is because of how much is involved.... Samsung > UI > Google > ARM chips > Linux Kernels > Android OS
    But to be honest. They have come a long way and I see more unstableness on my friends Iphone5 vs his S4. The S4 is an amazing phone. But all preference.
    Yea the last i heard about Android Lagging and not being very good was a few years go when it had not long come out. I have seen the Samsung Galaxy S4 on the TV adverts and on Youtube videos, i do like it especially the screen size. I feel that they seem to be innovating more compared to Apple and there iPhone. The open system seems to have some good advantages, from other peoples posts and a few things i have seen online, it seems highly customisable which for me is a plus. As i have mentioned the reason i'm getting fed up with iPhone is because they are doing the same old thing, and i really feel that its getting stale. I want to be able to control my phone rather than being told "You cant do that on an iPhone" especially when spending 529 on a phone.
    06-03-2013 02:15 PM
    3-5 hours screen time is excellent? My iPhone 5 does 10-12 hours of actual screen time usage with over 20 hours stand by. I was considering grabbing the s4 as a second phone but that battery will not last long enough for me

You have to understand 2 things. 1) The screen is an inch bigger on the S4. It requires more battery to power it than the tiny screen on a little iPhone 5. So you have to decide if the benefit outweighs the con.

2) Android does a lot more as an OS than iOS does. So it can tear through a battery much faster. If you're able to get 10-12 hrs of Screen On time with an iPhone 5 (which is miraculous) then I would imagine you could get closer to 7 or 8 with the S4. Everyone I know with the iPhone 5 is not getting anything close to what you're getting. So you must be a light user and that will help with the battery on the S4.
    Dural likes this.
    06-03-2013 02:19 PM
    I like the fact that I don't need a spare battery at all because my battery life is excellent less to carry around .

LTE all day today from 8 am it's now 9:30 and I still have 50 percent left

And there is also cases with batteries built in if I really needed it but so far I'm not impressed in hearing how poor the battery life in the s4 is.. I'm a heavy user I want a second phone so I can have android as well

Something REALLY isn't adding up here. How in the world are you somehow getting absolutely unreal battery life when no one else is getting over half of what you are? What settings are you using, do you have screenshots? I'm so confused.

If the iPhone 5 was getting 10 hrs easily and that's with heavy usage, wouldn't EVERYONE be talking about it?
    tohio and orion575 like this.
    06-03-2013 02:22 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Over the last 18 months I have begun getting tried of Apple and there small updates in regards to phones (3Gs then the 4, 4S and now the 5) rumours have it that the iPhone 5S will be nothing but a small update and nothing major. Over the last month or so I have been thinking about switching to the Galaxy S4, however a couple of things consern me, 1- is the S4 as reliable as my iPhone as been? 2- How easy is it to switch over (I have a lot of content on iTunes). 3- Hows the battery life? And 4- Do you find the plastic of the S4 more durable?
    I would appreciate any advice as I'm unsure if I should switch or not! I have not used Andriod before.

To answer the OP, I too have switched over from Apple to this S4. I knew I wanted something better then my iphone but I wasnt sure what. I usually use my wife as a test subject for phones because she doesnt care what phone she is using as long as it makes calls, sends texts and she can check facebook she is happy. I got her an S3 for 99 Cents and she then hands it back to me and says tell me how to use it.... Uh I had no idea really. So I showed her how to make a phone call and send a text. That was day 1. The following days I read about about it and played with it some more and showed her all kinds of things that made the S3 a great phone. Mind you this was just over a month ago. Playing with that phone made me a lot less nervous about wanting to get the GS4 and sell my iphone. So I did do it. It was fairly easy to get all my contacts, and music over from itunes using kies. I have been working on getting movies done (if anyone has a good itunes movie thingy pm me please). But over all the phone has been fast, the screen is great. It is SOOOOO much bigger then my iphone was. I couldnt see myself going back to a phone with that small of a screen honestly. The battery life is well. I switch out my battery once a day. I bought a double battery Anker set on amazon with some other things for like 20 dollars and it was perfect for me. I use the hell out of my phone and am usually by 30% at lunch time. However my day usually starts at 5am and I dont get home till 5pm. So the extra battery is definetly needed for me. I find the plastic just fine. It feels like a phone mini computer in my pocket. Last time I checked no one ever complained about the plasticy feel of their laptop. So why are they worried about it on their phone. It feels like a phone. I love how customizable the phone is. Lots of people complaining about being not have the Google experience that they expected or that TW sucks or that Sense is overrated. Look thats some techie crap that honestly is peoples personal opinion. There is a huge learning curve coming from iOS. Believe that. I have had my phone for a month now and I felt fully comfortable with it after a couple of weeks of tweaking how I wanted my experience to be. I use Nova launcher and just like it better then the stock one. Over all I am enjoying this phone to its fullest I believe and that is my experience so far.
    06-03-2013 02:24 PM
77 1234