From iPhone to Samsung Galaxy S4

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
1. Yea me to except I have the 4S, and yea I have a lot of music that I've brought from iTunes
2. What I meant by reliable was, apps not crashing, the phone freezing up and needing a restart, horrible lag, tho are the type of things I meant
3. That's good, means I will be able to copy music over easily then, if I use a SD card will I be able to listen to my music from the card rather than downloading the music onto the phone? Reason I ask is because I've heard that the 16GB S4 doesn't have a lot of user memory

I've had the 16 GB S4 for 5 or six weeks now and have not had any problems with memory. I have about 40 APPS downloaded in addition to the software that came on the phone. I have a 64 GB SD card that I use for music and photos. No memory problem at all (except for my own memory). Of course you can get the 32 GB phone if you want.

briankbart1

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I gotta tell you. I have had every iPhone ever produced and I am happy to have made the switch to the galaxy s4

Posted via Android Central App

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I gotta tell you. I have had every iPhone ever produced and I am happy to have made the switch to the galaxy s4

Are you happy with OS and the phone overall? Also what do you think of customization? This as already been answered above but different opinions are welcome :)

anon(5421739)

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The customization is amazing. If you decide you don't like touchwiz, you can download a different launcher that will allow you to make your phone look like stock Android, or download different icon packs. There's lots of widgets avaliable for download. Also if you want, you can root and flash custom ROMS. The possibilities are endless.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
1. Yea me to except I have the 4S, and yea I have a lot of music that I've brought from iTunes
2. What I meant by reliable was, apps not crashing, the phone freezing up and needing a restart, horrible lag, tho are the type of things I meant
3. That's good, means I will be able to copy music over easily then, if I use a SD card will I be able to listen to my music from the card rather than downloading the music onto the phone? Reason I ask is because I've heard that the 16GB S4 doesn't have a lot of user memory

Yes you can download music to the sd card which will save your internal space for apps. If you go that route you need not use google pay music as the S4 has a fairly good stock music player. If you did use google play music, you could keep your songs on the cloud and download them as wanted or needed but having a SD card is simplest.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from the iphone, as did my boyfriend. I had the exact same concerns as you, having been a loyal apple consumer since the first iPhone. Android does take a bit of getting used to, it took me about 2 weeks but I know feel like a pro haha. The way I see it, is you have so much more control of the experience you get on android, rather then being limited on experience and customization on the iphone. I found that for almost every app I used on iphone, there is the same app on android or an equivalent. I looked at lots of videos comparing the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 before making my decision, and it was really a no brainer.

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Advice from a long-time Android user: the reason people don't worry about in-OS visual voicemail is that US residents have access to something much cooler -- Google Voice.

You can use it for many, many things but the simplest is just as VVM *plus automatic transcriptions*. I don't even listen to my voice mail any more, because Voice transcriptions are good enough to get what you need to know.

By the way, if you switch, don't forget to turn off iMessage beforehand.

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I switched over from Iphone 5. This is my first Android. Previous smartphones were Palm - pre, Iphone 4, I phone5.

1. I haven't had any problems with my Galaxy s4. I had many problems with Kies. Program absolutely is horrible.
2. I transferred my I cloud contacts to my gmail account. It was actually pretty easy. I then downloaded all of my music from Icloud. I then transferred them to a micro sd that is in the S4 as we speak. I have been listening to all my music without a glitch.
3. I amstill learning to tweak and i am constantly playing with it learning all the ins and outs. Battery life seems to be the same but I can't tell because I am using this phone so much more now.
4. Can't comment on the durability. I have a Spiegen hybrid case around mine. Makes it seem big but I can hold it securely and gives me peace of mind if I drop it.

I love mine . Making the switch has been fun and enjoyable.

Last edited:

iamchanel

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of switching back to iPhone 5 this week from S4. I just think IOS is more solid...pretty...even on the apps that have an Android version, the iPhone ones look better. Two hesitations I have are back button and large screen. le sigh

noaim

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
1) Yes. Time will tell on longevity but absolutely no reason to believe otherwise.
2) Depends. Many 3rd party apps exist to facilitate music transfer, including Google Music itself which I prefer. Note that if you bought songs off iTunes that are DRM protected, Apple won't let you transfer that content to ANY other platform. Blame Apple directly for that complication.
3) Excellent. 15 to 20 hrs with 3 to 5 hrs screen time. YMWV.
4) Polycarbonate is as durable as aluminum and is more impact resistant. Just ask a materials engineer. Materials selection comes down to preference. I always run with a case so the issue is moot. If feel is important, buy an aluminum back plate or case. However, these could interfere with NFC and signal (still haven't seen confirmation).

It seems most making the shift need a few weeks to settle in. Once they're comfortable, they usually wonder why they waited to switch.

3-5 hours screen time is excellent? My iPhone 5 does 10-12 hours of actual screen time usage with over 20 hours stand by. I was considering grabbing the s4 as a second phone but that battery will not last long enough for me

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

tyklip

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
One of the great benefits: get a spare battery. Never worry again. Cost maybe $20.00 with charger. One of the big reasons I still roll with Galaxy series.

noaim

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
One of the great benefits: get a spare battery. Never worry again. Cost maybe $20.00 with charger. One of the big reasons I still roll with Galaxy series.

I like the fact that I don't need a spare battery at all because my battery life is excellent :) less to carry around :).

LTE all day today from 8 am it's now 9:30 and I still have 50 percent left ;)

And there is also cases with batteries built in if I really needed it but so far I'm not impressed in hearing how poor the battery life in the s4 is.. I'm a heavy user I want a second phone so I can have android as well

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of switching back to iPhone 5 this week from S4. I just think IOS is more solid...pretty...even on the apps that have an Android version, the iPhone ones look better. Two hesitations I have are back button and large screen. le sigh

I have both and every time I pick up my iPhone 5 I can not imagine going back to that screen every again. I will probably sell off my iPhone 5 soon and just use my iPad for development.

easyrun99

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

This is one thing I don't understand about Apple. There are MANY who feel this exact same way. Why not produce two screen sizes? A 4" and a 5" (or similar that have the same screen ratio and resolution)? I'm not a developer, so maybe I'm thinking too simply, but wouldn't identical ratio/resolutions allow for single apps to perform on both screen sizes? Again, I'm not a developer, so I might be VERY wrong. Regardless, Apple could diversify and still retain a high degree of "non-fragmentation", which they covet.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The Mrs. has an iPhone 5. She cannot get over 5 hrs of screen time (typical use, light gaming and browser) with brightness at 50%. Her friends, also with iPhone 5's have similar results. They can generate similar standby (as can I on my S4) as you mention, but never these results together. Care to share your secret? I'll pass it along.

Last edited:

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The Mrs. has an iPhone 5. She cannot get over 5 hrs of screen time (typical use, light gaming and browser) with brightness at 50%. Her friends, also with iPhone 5s have similar results. They can generate similar standby (as can I on my S4) as you mention, but never these results together. Care to share your secret? I'll pass it along.

Yeah, I'd like to know also. My two daughters have iPhones and they are lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of screen time before the phone dies.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Haha, nobody is getting 10-12 hours screen on time with an iP5. Sorry, it just ain't happening.

For all the iOS users looking to make the switch, don't worry about battery life. I run 100% brightness with LTE & GPS on 24/7 and I NEVER have to think about charging my S4, regardless of usage.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from the iphone, as did my boyfriend. I had the exact same concerns as you, having been a loyal apple consumer since the first iPhone. Android does take a bit of getting used to, it took me about 2 weeks but I know feel like a pro haha. The way I see it, is you have so much more control of the experience you get on android, rather then being limited on experience and customization on the iphone. I found that for almost every app I used on iphone, there is the same app on android or an equivalent. I looked at lots of videos comparing the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 before making my decision, and it was really a no brainer.

Yea I've been a long time Apple user, I have an iPad which I also use for University. I'm more worried about getting use to andriod, and the Samsung Galaxy S4 phone because I have never had a Samsung phone before. The reason I want to switch is because I feel Apple are not doing anything innovative at the moment, and I want more contour over my phone, more customisation of the home screen, widgets, Live wallpapers and so on. I'm willing to take the time to learn Andriod I'm just a little apprehensive with bring an Apple iPhone user since the 3GS.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been thinking about switching to the Galaxy S4, however a couple of things consern me, 1- is the S4 as reliable as my iPhone as been? 2- How easy is it to switch over (I have a lot of content on iTunes). 3- Hows the battery life? And 4- Do you find the plastic of the S4 more durable? I would appreciate any advice as I'm unsure if I should switch or not! I have not used Andriod before.
Of all the Android devices out right now, the nexus 4 is what I would recommend for former i-Users. Simply because it has a very smooth UI that is comparable to an iPhone and always get updates first. With the possible exception of the HTC One, most Android devices will look laggy to some degree compared to the iPhone. That being said:

1 - I would say yes. If you can get used to Touchwiz, it should be as reliable as an iPhone. The OS is pretty solid. I have a lot of complaints about Touchwiz, but reliability isn't one of them.

2 - I do not let iTunes manage my music and I recommend you don't either. Android allows you to manage files directly instead of forcing you to "sync". I still buy music on iTunes (it does have a massive library and the pricing is good), but I immediately convert them to MP3 and sever ties with iTunes. There are apps that will still sync iTunes if you can't let go; I have heard that Doubletwist is awesome. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oubleTwist.androidPlayer&hl=en&token=axJcN7wV

3 - Battery life is probably decent, but even if it was not it would not matter...you can upgrade it. I can tell you from personal experience that upgradable batteries are just awesome. Being able to go through 2 days on a charge without having to turn anything down or off is such a luxury.

4 - I definitely think the S4 is more durable. The plastic body may not be pretty, but it is a lot less likely to break.