For those of you using Google Now, how is your battery life?

The reason I ask, is that this weekend I finally decided to give Google Now a try. I enabled it and played around a bit (set some reminders, etc.)

Normally I loose about 3% or so of my batter life per hour (if I am not using the phone at all). I noticed with Google Now active, I was loosing about 10% an hour.

I looked at my usage info and Google Services had suddenly been very active and used a LARGE part of my battery.

I turned off Google Now and my battery usage went back down to normal.

Just wondering if this was normal for Google Now?
    06-04-2013 08:26 PM
    Now will be active while it gets to know you
    06-04-2013 08:28 PM
    I'm using Google Now and haven't experienced any excessive battery drain. I've been pretty impressed with battery life.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-04-2013 09:11 PM
    I'm using Google Now and haven't experienced any excessive battery drain. I've been pretty impressed with battery life.

Same here.

06-04-2013 09:11 PM

The reason I ask, is that this weekend I finally decided to give Google Now a try. I enabled it and played around a bit (set some reminders, etc.)

Normally I loose about 3% or so of my batter life per hour (if I am not using the phone at all). I noticed with Google Now active, I was loosing about 10% an hour.

I looked at my usage info and Google Services had suddenly been very active and used a LARGE part of my battery.

Yes, that is normal for Google Now. There have been tons of complaints about this since it came out on many different devices.

I found that disabling the Background location reporting, Location sharing and Location history along with disabling all cards that might use location fixed it but still allowed the cards that use your Gmail and search history to work. I haven't tried enabling just the cards and leaving that other stuff disabled, though. Other people, including thegrants82, have reported that the SnapDragon Battery Guru app seems to allow you to both use all the Google Now features and get good battery life, though. I'm on my last day of learning so it will be a few days before I have any decent results of trying that out.
    06-05-2013 09:35 AM
    Yes, I've got the same issue here. Yesterday morning, after a full charge I've enabled Google Now (will tell you the reason later), at 8pm battery was on 1% and it died! Charged again before sleep to 100%. Killed all running apps, turned off WiFi and mobile data, enabled 'Power saving mode', albeit doing all these, this morning at 8am the battery was on 18%. When i've checked my battery usage graph in the morning it was draining battery for 42% only on "Dveice idle". That's ridiculous. Anyways I've disabled Google Now, including its location services.

PS: Ok, the reason that I've enabled Google Now, was that Android default Weather widget wasn't reliable in many ways, so it was only to use the weather card o Google Now. Does anybody have any comment on that? Is there a better alternative to the weather widget? I've tried Yahoo widget and it was awful too.
    07-09-2013 06:41 PM
    I used Google now, and found that map is alway running to keep you up to date on traffic, so I turned off Google now and now my battery lasts for two days.
    07-09-2013 07:31 PM
    Google Now constantly polls for your location (if you enable it) and THAT'S what drains your battery (GPS On or not, it still polls for your location). But that's exactly how it works it's magic. You may disable it like some posts suggest, but then what's the point of having Google Now, right?

In my case, Google Now is crappy crap on a cracker where I live (as in outside the US); the only information it gives me is really inaccurate traffic information, trying to send me home from work in the middle of the day (and don't tell me 'it'll learn eventually', I used it for a month), weather info and my calendar information. Since I have widgets for all that, and I trust Waze's information more, I eventually turned it off. And guess what? My battery life nearly doubled. LITERALLY.

BTW, if you decide to disable Google Now, REMEMBER to go to the Mapps app, go into Settings, and disable the "Automatically Report Location from this Device" option that Google Now, for some reason, leaves enabled.
    07-10-2013 03:42 AM
    Other people, including thegrants82, have reported that the SnapDragon Battery Guru app seems to allow you to both use all the Google Now features and get good battery life, though. I'm on my last day of learning so it will be a few days before I have any decent results of trying that out.
    I'm not sure if it's BatteryGuru (I doubt it is) but for the past few weeks I've had Google Now on with all cards enabled, location reporting and location history enabled, but the rest disabled in Maps settings, and my battery life has been much better. One thing I did do was uninstall updates for Maps and that seemed to help with no real down side. I'm not sure what specifically I did to get better battery life, but it's probably some combination of Now being less active after a "learning" phase, BatteryGuru not letting all apps wake up the processor all the time and uninstalling the updates from Maps.

I have no idea how much it drains overnight because I leave my phone plugged in at that time and while how much it drains is interesting information, there isn't really a good reason not to charge at that time.
    07-10-2013 08:52 AM
    I normally have Google Now active and Snapdragon Battery Guru. But haven't check on battery life.
    I'll check and report back.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away
    07-10-2013 09:03 AM
    I normally have Google Now active and Snapdragon Battery Guru. But haven't check on battery life.
    I'll check and report back.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away
    Battery Guru shuts down google now until you do a google search
    08-14-2013 07:08 AM
    I did a factory reset last Friday.
    Battery guru isn't install this time, and I think I'm saving more battery without it!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    08-15-2013 11:01 AM
    I did a factory reset last Friday.
    Battery guru isn't install this time, and I think I'm saving more battery without it!

That's how I feel about battery saving apps... They do more harm than good in my opinion :P.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    STARGATE likes this.
    08-15-2013 11:57 AM
    So is the battery pack the best for S4 or is external chargers?
    08-15-2013 12:32 PM
    So is the battery pack the best for S4 or is external chargers?
    Which ever you feel more comfortable with.
    It's all about personal preferences.

08-15-2013 02:51 PM
    wait? but i mean for battery its about the same then?
    08-15-2013 03:18 PM

Google Now constantly polls for your location (if you enable it) and THAT'S what drains your battery (GPS On or not, it still polls for your location). But that's exactly how it works it's magic. You may disable it like some posts suggest, but then what's the point of having Google Now, right?

In my case, Google Now is crappy crap on a cracker where I live (as in outside the US); the only information it gives me is really inaccurate traffic information, trying to send me home from work in the middle of the day (and don't tell me 'it'll learn eventually', I used it for a month), weather info and my calendar information. Since I have widgets for all that, and I trust Waze's information more, I eventually turned it off. And guess what? My battery life nearly doubled. LITERALLY.

BTW, if you decide to disable Google Now, REMEMBER to go to the Mapps app, go into Settings, and disable the "Automatically Report Location from this Device" option that Google Now, for some reason, leaves enabled.
    Yup, for me it's really bad because I work all day in an office where I get crappy cell reception (and it's an internal office, so no GPS either), so every time it would try to update it was draining my battery substantially.
    08-15-2013 03:53 PM
    Yup, for me it's really bad because I work all day in an office where I get crappy cell reception (and it's an internal office, so no GPS either), so every time it would try to update it was draining my battery substantially.
    So disabling Google Now will actually help you by saving battery. I disabled it a while back and I haven't really pay attention but I've notice my battery lasts about 2-3 extra hours, at least.

SilverRocket88 likes this.
    08-24-2013 08:49 AM
    My battery life is fine with Google Now enabled. I lose about three percent of battery per hour when not using the phone. If you have poor reception, that will cause the battery to drain faster. But, that would be the case with any app that pulls data.

08-24-2013 01:57 PM
    It's my understanding that the recent update to Google Play services may have helped reduce how much battery Google Now takes. I'm testing it out now but after one day it seems to take noticeably less battery than before, but still noticeably more than having it off.
    08-26-2013 08:29 AM
    Yeah the latest update to Google Now has helped battery life a lot. I used to waste about 5-7 percent battery life per hour. After the latest update to Google Now it went down to about 4-5. I am now very happy with the battery life on my phone.
    SilverRocket88 likes this.
    08-26-2013 09:35 AM

07-28-2016 01:19 AM
    You just described almost the exact situation with battery use and my first shot at the, 'Google now launcher'. With the use of package disabler, I was able to remove most battery chopping apps and fine tune battery usage down to, if left unattended about 3,4 percent every 6 hours now with Google launcher it's about 10 percent.
    I went through a long learning curve and research into my Android OS to understand exactly which apps, even outside of bloatware I could turn off to get down to those very low percentages in battery use without affecting the way I like to use my Galaxy note or its ability to function properly.
    Until I read your posting, I thought that I had caught a bug or virus and was on the verge of a data reset, which we all know is a horrible pain in the ***.
    So what now? I like my Google launcher but your right, google services use went way up⤴.
    Is there any way to resolve this?I don't believe google launcher is listed in app optimization but if it is, my first move would be to change settings there to, 'always saving power', but beyond that, I've already removed most battery choppers and have no where to go in that aspect.
    So what do I do? Simply deal with it? I don't like that option. Sincerely Arthur
    07-28-2016 01:55 AM