07-08-2013 07:35 PM
46 12
tools
    Suda. Thank you. You nailed my situation. I am with Verizon and they only offer the 16 gig version. I would never buy the smallest version of any device. My point is simple. Samsung and Verizon both advertise this device as a 16 gig phone when in all actuality it is 7 at best. It would be the same as a car dealer telling you that a SUV they have is an 8 passenger vehicle and then you buy it and they fill 4 of the seats with non removable crap that you don't want and didn't buy but you're still stuck with it. Don't list it as 16 gig when you're only allowed half. Just my opinion
    To be fair, that's how they've been advertizing computer storage for decades now; pretty much as long as PC's have come with hard drives. It's also how they advertize car seating. The driver always takes up one of the seats.
    irishleo likes this.
    06-06-2013 08:38 AM
    16 GB may not be such a big deal anymore if you can move APPS to SD card Samsung Galaxy S4 update addresses storage complaints with move to SD card feature | The Verge
    06-06-2013 08:47 AM
    16 GB may not be such a big deal anymore if you can move APPS to SD card Samsung Galaxy S4 update addresses storage complaints with move to SD card feature | The Verge
    The problem with that is that Samsung hasn't really said when we'll be getting it in North america, and yes, I know, it's down to the carrier for that!
    07-06-2013 04:45 PM
    I absolutely LOVE this phone. Coming from a IPhone 5, it's everything I want. The major issue for me is the 16 gig storage. I had a 32g I-5 and had plenty of storage. I have next to nothing on my S4 and have 6 gigs left? Can someone explain how I find out if my iTunes (102 songs) transferred to my device storage or my memory card. Sorry for the dumb question.
    With 11GB of accessible memory from the start and then throwing in a 64GB card (on Amazon for less than 50.00), you are looking at PLENTY of memory.
    07-06-2013 06:13 PM
    With 11GB of accessible memory from the start
    What the hell are you smoking, the phone only has just over 8-9GB usable from the get-go!
    07-06-2013 06:27 PM
    What the hell are you smoking, the phone only has just over 8-9GB usable from the get-go!
    Maybe the Active is different than the regular S4, but I had just about 11 (maybe 10.something, more close to 11 than 10) when I started.
    07-06-2013 06:29 PM
    Well, then you should've mentioned you have the Active, because your post makes it seem like you've got the regular S4
    07-06-2013 06:41 PM
    Well, then you should've mentioned you have the Active, because your post makes it seem like you've got the regular S4
    Hmmm maybe the AVATAR CLEARLY MARKED AS AN ACTIVE was too hard to figure out. Not to mention the device labeled under my profile. Who woulda thunk it?!
    07-06-2013 06:52 PM
    Hmmm maybe the AVATAR CLEARLY MARKED AS AN ACTIVE was too hard to figure out. Not to mention the device labeled under my profile. Who woulda thunk it?!
    From the Android Central Forums app there is no indication any where of you having an active. The snarkiness is not needed, please tone it down a bit. There are numerous ways to access the forums, not everyone is on desktop. Thanks.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Droid DNA
    S-off, boot loader unlocked
    illusion CM10.1
    07-06-2013 06:56 PM
    Lololol

GS4 Love
    07-06-2013 07:08 PM
    You know what? This SHOULDN'T have to be a concern if the developers weren't so lazy. Android may have taken away the ability to install MAIN app files onto SD cards, yes. It is a controversial decision that MOST users hate, yes. BUT the OS does allow developers to store secondary data files (like all those extra Gigs that download for a game after you install it) onto an SD card! Do the devs implement this? For the vast majority of them, no. Spotify, for instance, just did that a couple of updates ago, although their 'automatic selection of the best storage location' does not let you specifically select the SD card, it will usually default to it if you have one...
    JINX! I just said the same thing about lazy developers on another thread. And its not just the garage office developers. Samsung won't let you change the default location for S-Memo or S-Notes. Kobo, Kindle and Nook apps demand that the ebooks be on "sdcard" which is internal, with no option to push them off to the card. This needs to be changed. If you have such an app, write to the developers and ask for this feature. Post evaluations and short them one star for not doing this critical feature. It's kind of understandable since a lot of devices before did not have external cards to begin with. But its time to educate developers on making this feature part of their apps.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    07-06-2013 10:06 PM
    That is my issue with the sd card. You can basically store music and photos there and not a whole lot else.

I don't think you are going to see updates to apps to let you store things on a card when google seem to be discouraging sd cards.
    07-06-2013 10:23 PM
    Samsung is pushing SD cards. They have the dominance to win this one.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD
    07-07-2013 09:11 AM
    @Dimsdale...you are soooo right about only gamers having complaints about the 16gb model. I am a gamer and I just couldn't buy a 16gb model so I got the 32gb model and really wish that they had a 64gb or even 128gb model since I also have music and tons of eBooks on my phone. As it stands, I've been very selective about which games I downloaded and what songs/albums as well. Also...I have limited my reading library as I found that my GS3 suffered tremendous lag when I got down to only 1gb of storage left. I'm gonna try and not go below 5gb...but it's tough with 2 "must have" large games coming out next Q....(Deus Ex and Modern Combat 5). It's really silly that a 40 yr old man has games on his phone...but they're real stress relievers for me...and I don't like games enough to purchase a dedicated game platform. Plus...the easy controls remind me of when I was a kid and joypads only had 3 buttons and a D-pad! And I love the fact that I don't need a Kindle or a Nook to read all my books these days as the screen at 5" is plenty large enough....just have to change "pages" more often. And having 100s of songs is a plus outside of listening to Pandora. It's hard to believe that only a few years ago I thought my Palm Treo was the cat's meow!!
    Anyway...does anyone think Samsung will ever release a larger storage unit? I've bought the last 3 Galaxy S-series phones (S2-S4) and have decided to stop that trend and wait out my 2 yr. contract this time as I am going to learn how to root my phone and not worry about space issues because there's really not much to improve upon with this latest iteration of the Samsung Galaxy. Anyone agree?
    07-07-2013 10:09 AM
    I have no idea what the Active looks like, I just see a phone under your username on here, also, I don't go to people's profiles, what's the point.
    07-07-2013 10:11 AM
    I'll save my $100 keep the 16 gig and use micro sd (music) and the cloud (pics and videos) all day long. When I get a new phone it's effortless.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-07-2013 10:18 AM
    Not trying to hijack here but does the galaxy s4 have the sd card failure like the s3 I am wanting at least 32gb for storage mostly for movies and music. .thank you
    07-07-2013 11:22 AM
    I have no idea what the Active looks like, I just see a phone under your username on here, also, I don't go to people's profiles, what's the point.
    Well there is your first mistake. Don't make assumptions. You could have easily asked me a bit more to find out the differences rather than asking me "what I was smoking". Now you know what an Active looks like. Essentially the same phone but with some minor differences. A great phone for those that have kids or are accident prone.
    07-07-2013 11:45 AM
    Let's keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks.

Sent from my SGSIII
    07-07-2013 11:47 AM
    Let's keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks.

Sent from my SGSIII
    I am doing just that. There was nothing meant by my last post other than pointing out an error. Back on topic...roger that.
    07-07-2013 11:49 AM
    @Dimsdale...you are soooo right about only gamers having complaints about the 16gb model. I am a gamer and I just couldn't buy a 16gb model so I got the 32gb model and really wish that they had a 64gb or even 128gb model since I also have music and tons of eBooks on my phone. As it stands, I've been very selective about which games I downloaded and what songs/albums as well. Also...I have limited my reading library as I found that my GS3 suffered tremendous lag when I got down to only 1gb of storage left. I'm gonna try and not go below 5gb...but it's tough with 2 "must have" large games coming out next Q....(Deus Ex and Modern Combat 5). It's really silly that a 40 yr old man has games on his phone...but they're real stress relievers for me...and I don't like games enough to purchase a dedicated game platform. Plus...the easy controls remind me of when I was a kid and joypads only had 3 buttons and a D-pad! And I love the fact that I don't need a Kindle or a Nook to read all my books these days as the screen at 5" is plenty large enough....just have to change "pages" more often. And having 100s of songs is a plus outside of listening to Pandora. It's hard to believe that only a few years ago I thought my Palm Treo was the cat's meow!!
    Anyway...does anyone think Samsung will ever release a larger storage unit? I've bought the last 3 Galaxy S-series phones (S2-S4) and have decided to stop that trend and wait out my 2 yr. contract this time as I am going to learn how to root my phone and not worry about space issues because there's really not much to improve upon with this latest iteration of the Samsung Galaxy. Anyone agree?
    32 is better for me, so I waited and ordered a Verizon 32 version today with next day delivery. I also have tablets, so will be selective on my games on the S4. I prefer using the micro sd for media only.
    07-08-2013 07:35 PM
46 12