16 gig may be deal breaker. :(

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely LOVE this phone. Coming from a IPhone 5, it's everything I want. The major issue for me is the 16 gig storage. I had a 32g I-5 and had plenty of storage. I have next to nothing on my S4 and have 6 gigs left? Can someone explain how I find out if my iTunes (102 songs) transferred to my device storage or my memory card. Sorry for the dumb question.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely LOVE this phone. Coming from a IPhone 5, it's everything I want. The major issue for me is the 16 gig storage. I had a 32g I-5 and had plenty of storage. I have next to nothing on my S4 and have 6 gigs left? Can someone explain how I find out if my iTunes (102 songs) transferred to my device storage or my memory card. Sorry for the dumb question.

Use Kies. It will show you what is on your internal memory and SD card. You can get it here iCan't: 5 Things Android Users Take For Granted and iPhone Users Just Can't Do

Also look at this thread for more information How do I get downloaded music onto my SD card instead of my device?

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
if you go to the my files app, and hit all files, it will show you sd memory card, and device storage, and you can then look through the files to see if theres any music on the device itself. mine has a music folder that is empty, since i have it on my sd card

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Given that a 64GB SD card is less than $50, I wouldn't worry about the phone's internal memory being limited to 16GB. Granted, I don't use iTunes, and Apple does some pretty strange stuff with their music files, but I have to imagine there's a fairly painless way to get them to the SD card.

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a Verizon S4 with 16GB of ram and a 64GB Samsung microSD card. Card has 2500 mp3 song and four very long movies at 1080p.

The only people who have any basis to complain about the 16GB version are the gamers. For them, it's a real concern.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a Verizon S4 with 16GB of ram and a 64GB Samsung microSD card. Card has 2500 mp3 song and four very long movies at 1080p.

The only people who have any basis to complain about the 16GB version are the gamers. For them, it's a real concern.

You know what? This SHOULDN'T have to be a concern if the developers weren't so lazy. Android may have taken away the ability to install MAIN app files onto SD cards, yes. It is a controversial decision that MOST users hate, yes. BUT the OS does allow developers to store secondary data files (like all those extra Gigs that download for a game after you install it) onto an SD card! Do the devs implement this? For the vast majority of them, no. Spotify, for instance, just did that a couple of updates ago, although their 'automatic selection of the best storage location' does not let you specifically select the SD card, it will usually default to it if you have one...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you do not game, or use some of the funky social cloud media apps that load a bunch of data to internal storage, the 9gb in the 16 model should be fine. Just don't go "all gamer" all of the sudden ;)

kladysandroid

May 31, 2013
Visit site
If you do not game, or use some of the funky social cloud media apps that load a bunch of data to internal storage, the 9gb in the 16 model should be fine. Just don't go "all gamer" all of the sudden ;)

Do you mind telling me which "funky social cloud media apps" to avoid? I'm stuck with the 16B because if I return within my 14 day window I won't have a phone until the 32G comes out. I'm not a gamer, so I think with the Samsung 64G SD card I should be fine, but DH and I plan to start using a cloud service for backup and to share. I'd like to know which ones to avoid if they are going to use up precious internal storage. Thanks.

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not gamer at all. I just noticed that with all my songs and pictures saved to my massive card, I still only have 6 gigs internal left. It wouldn't be such big deal if they would've have told me that the device was a 16 gig device. It's not at all even close. Hopefully I created the right music file so they start to save on my sd card. Pretty frustrating really.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Most of the cloud oriented social apps that use media will cache to the internal storage. Not sure if that can be changed. I do not use cloud content, so not appreciating the dynamics involved. I am not a fan of relying on cloud, so use my sd card for all media.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have about 25-30 games on my s4 and I still have 4gb left over so far I see no issue with the 16gb version

sent from my galaxy s4

Karlzweb

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you mind telling me which "funky social cloud media apps" to avoid? I'm stuck with the 16B because if I return within my 14 day window I won't have a phone until the 32G comes out. I'm not a gamer, so I think with the Samsung 64G SD card I should be fine, but DH and I plan to start using a cloud service for backup and to share. I'd like to know which ones to avoid if they are going to use up precious internal storage. Thanks.

I am currently trying the Copy cloud service highlighted here recently, and so far so good. I am still trying it out but keep my important files on google drive until I trust it. If you follow my referall link, we noth get an addition 5 gigs. After installing the app, you would already have 20 gigs!

Here is the referral link. [link removed by moderator]

Posted via Android Central App on my S4

Last edited by a moderator:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have about 25-30 games on my s4 and I still have 4gb left over so far I see no issue with the 16gb version

sent from my galaxy s4

It obviously depends on the games ;)

If you played either of the GTA games or any of the newer EA or Gameloft games, you would be out with four to five games. Not counting any other apps.

Not to mention Android needs 500mb to 1gb free to update apps and for some to work correctly. Again, depends on the size of the apps.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If they would've have? Maybe you should know the specs of the phone YOU are buying

You could use that same point of argument for any thread asking nearly any question in regards to a device. The premise of the thread is the storage might be too little and there was an example of someone having 30 or so games and still about half the space left. Point is that is subjective, and can not be treated as an objective point. Apps vary too much in size to presume everyone else would be fine applied to the same weighted standard for apps and total space remaining.

The most objective thing from this thread is consider the average game size you might play and if not a gamer, not many worries. Games as a category take up the most space with internal storage.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Sixteen gigabytes of ram? There is not a phone that has that much yet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
1. Buy Micro SD
2. Root Galaxy S4
3. Download GL to SD from play store
4. Move games to SD
5. Enjoy using internal space for phone contacts and SD for media

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Or get a 32gb model and not deal with all that on a device paid about $600 (in one way or another). Most people are not going to root. The solution though is adequate for some in the bubble of this forum. Key word being some.

Simple solution is the carriers afford the options that At&t has. The inventory is not even on their books, or even paid for until devices ship to customers for on- line orders or shipped to stores. The risk is minimal to the carriers. This is the case for Verizon at least.