16 gig may be deal breaker. :(

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely LOVE this phone. The major issue for me is the 16 gig storage.

I actually won my S4 from MobileSyrup.com, so I didn't have a choice on the size...I was starting to save up to buy the octa-core S4 outright from overseas, but with this I may start saving for the S5!

Not an iPhone user myself, but this was one of the major issues to me as well -- the other one being that Canada always gets grouped into america, so we got stuck with the quad-core version of the S4 instead of the real octa-core version the rest of the world gets -- with what Samsung installed on the phone only leaves you with about 9GB of space. I threw in an 8GB MicroSD card that I had laying around, got about 7.5GB of '80s music on it. I do plan on getting a 64GB MicroSD card down the road, although I'm not to sure what I'd be using it for!

Last edited:

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Or get a 32gb model and not deal with all that on a device paid about $600 (in one way or another). Most people are not going to root. The solution though is adequate for some in the bubble of this forum. Key word being some.

Simple solution is the carriers afford the options that At&t has. The inventory is not even on their books, or even paid for until devices ship to customers for on- line orders or shipped to stores. The risk is minimal to the carriers. This is the case for Verizon at least.

Seeing as only one carrier is even carrying the 32GB model there's a 75% chance he has a 16GB model. Since small memory prompted him to make this thread in the first place (that and he says he has 6GB left with hardly anything on it) I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the chances of him settling with 16GB because his carrier didn't carry the 32GB are nearly 100%. That is of course, dismissing that he's an AT&T customer and chose the 16GB and saved money, which is a possibility. Most people don't root or jailbreak, but that's the only option there is unless the carrier he's with starts carrying 32GB S4s. It's easier to do a workaround on the actual phone than it is to work his way out of the contract and carrier.

I'm not sure why the others don't carry 32GB but I'm sure it's more than them not being able to "afford the options". Especially Verizon.

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Suda. Thank you. You nailed my situation. I am with Verizon and they only offer the 16 gig version. I would never buy the smallest version of any device. My point is simple. Samsung and Verizon both advertise this device as a 16 gig phone when in all actuality it is 7 at best. It would be the same as a car dealer telling you that a SUV they have is an 8 passenger vehicle and then you buy it and they fill 4 of the seats with non removable crap that you don't want and didn't buy but you're still stuck with it. Don't list it as 16 gig when you're only allowed half. Just my opinion

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Poorly worded by me, since the point is get a device with 32gb, which in turn could mean waiting. The word afford means more than monetary references. I this case, offer it as part of their product mix. Will stick with my 32gb S3 until if ever a 32 S4 is offered.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
this is why i switched to at&t. because verizon treats you like a second class citizen. not only do they not offer every phone, but they give you gimped versions of every phone they do release. not to mention, i wanted the 32gb, because like op, i didnt want to run out of room somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Suda. Thank you. You nailed my situation. I am with Verizon and they only offer the 16 gig version. I would never buy the smallest version of any device. My point is simple. Samsung and Verizon both advertise this device as a 16 gig phone when in all actuality it is 7 at best. It would be the same as a car dealer telling you that a SUV they have is an 8 passenger vehicle and then you buy it and they fill 4 of the seats with non removable crap that you don't want and didn't buy but you're still stuck with it. Don't list it as 16 gig when you're only allowed half. Just my opinion
To be fair, that's how they've been advertizing computer storage for decades now; pretty much as long as PC's have come with hard drives. It's also how they advertize car seating. The driver always takes up one of the seats.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely LOVE this phone. Coming from a IPhone 5, it's everything I want. The major issue for me is the 16 gig storage. I had a 32g I-5 and had plenty of storage. I have next to nothing on my S4 and have 6 gigs left? Can someone explain how I find out if my iTunes (102 songs) transferred to my device storage or my memory card. Sorry for the dumb question.

With 11GB of accessible memory from the start and then throwing in a 64GB card (on Amazon for less than 50.00), you are looking at PLENTY of memory. :D

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, then you should've mentioned you have the Active, because your post makes it seem like you've got the regular S4

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, then you should've mentioned you have the Active, because your post makes it seem like you've got the regular S4

Hmmm maybe the AVATAR CLEARLY MARKED AS AN ACTIVE was too hard to figure out. Not to mention the device labeled under my profile. Who woulda thunk it?!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm maybe the AVATAR CLEARLY MARKED AS AN ACTIVE was too hard to figure out. Not to mention the device labeled under my profile. Who woulda thunk it?!

From the Android Central Forums app there is no indication any where of you having an active. The snarkiness is not needed, please tone it down a bit. There are numerous ways to access the forums, not everyone is on desktop. Thanks.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA
S-off, boot loader unlocked
illusion CM10.1

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
You know what? This SHOULDN'T have to be a concern if the developers weren't so lazy. Android may have taken away the ability to install MAIN app files onto SD cards, yes. It is a controversial decision that MOST users hate, yes. BUT the OS does allow developers to store secondary data files (like all those extra Gigs that download for a game after you install it) onto an SD card! Do the devs implement this? For the vast majority of them, no. Spotify, for instance, just did that a couple of updates ago, although their 'automatic selection of the best storage location' does not let you specifically select the SD card, it will usually default to it if you have one...

JINX! I just said the same thing about lazy developers on another thread. And its not just the garage office developers. Samsung won't let you change the default location for S-Memo or S-Notes. Kobo, Kindle and Nook apps demand that the ebooks be on "sdcard" which is internal, with no option to push them off to the card. This needs to be changed. If you have such an app, write to the developers and ask for this feature. Post evaluations and short them one star for not doing this critical feature. It's kind of understandable since a lot of devices before did not have external cards to begin with. But its time to educate developers on making this feature part of their apps.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That is my issue with the sd card. You can basically store music and photos there and not a whole lot else.

I don't think you are going to see updates to apps to let you store things on a card when google seem to be discouraging sd cards.

chicagocouch

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
@Dimsdale...you are soooo right about only gamers having complaints about the 16gb model. I am a gamer and I just couldn't buy a 16gb model so I got the 32gb model and really wish that they had a 64gb or even 128gb model since I also have music and tons of eBooks on my phone. As it stands, I've been very selective about which games I downloaded and what songs/albums as well. Also...I have limited my reading library as I found that my GS3 suffered tremendous lag when I got down to only 1gb of storage left. I'm gonna try and not go below 5gb...but it's tough with 2 "must have" large games coming out next Q....(Deus Ex and Modern Combat 5). It's really silly that a 40 yr old man has games on his phone...but they're real stress relievers for me...and I don't like games enough to purchase a dedicated game platform. Plus...the easy controls remind me of when I was a kid and joypads only had 3 buttons and a D-pad! And I love the fact that I don't need a Kindle or a Nook to read all my books these days as the screen at 5" is plenty large enough....just have to change "pages" more often. And having 100s of songs is a plus outside of listening to Pandora. It's hard to believe that only a few years ago I thought my Palm Treo was the cat's meow!!
Anyway...does anyone think Samsung will ever release a larger storage unit? I've bought the last 3 Galaxy S-series phones (S2-S4) and have decided to stop that trend and wait out my 2 yr. contract this time as I am going to learn how to root my phone and not worry about space issues because there's really not much to improve upon with this latest iteration of the Samsung Galaxy. Anyone agree?

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea what the Active looks like, I just see a phone under your username on here, also, I don't go to people's profiles, what's the point.