Why is my Galaxy S4 only charging with certain chargers?

LukeCarter1978

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy S4 only charging with certain chargers

Hello, Im a newbie to this forum but it has helped me a few times when ive done general searches. Ive registered now and I need to ask a question.

My S4 charges normally with its own charger and USB, it charges from my old HTC charger, no problems. Now I've used my old in car charger (used for the HTC) to charge it fine, I brought a solar panel charger for when im fishing over a weekend and the first time the internal battery had been charged by the sun i plugged it into my S4 and it charged it to 100% in about 2 and a half hours. Ive tried to do it again and nothing?? so i thought that the solar battery might npot be charged so in order to test it I plugged my wifes S3 in and bingo it started charging. Ive brought a new in car cradle kit that comes with a small cigarette lighter plug with a USB socket to attach the kits USB cable into. Again it worked one but since hasnt yet does work on my wifes S3?????? because of this I tried my old HTC one in the car which is the old style giant plug in cigarette charger and bingo it charged my phone????. So now im confused, can anyone help with this as Ive spent the last 2 hours looking online at different conflicting problems and solutiions although please bear in mind i'm not electronically minded.

Many Thanks

Luke

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 only charging with certain chargers

Wow, that does seem odd... It does sound, however, that it might be a hardware issue (as in take-it-in-to-repair-or-get-warranty-replacement). I charge mine with a car charger, an old BlackBerry charger at work, the original charger at Home, and I even use a friend's Moto charger when I'm at his house. I did use a solar-powered battery once but it was crap (the battery, anyway).

So, here's what I'd try frist:

1) Clean the USB port in your phone with a soft, dry brush. Maybe some dirt is interfering.

2) Car USB chargers are usually 0.5A in output power; your original charger is 2A. Try to find a wall charger that's 0.5A and see if THAT works.

I guess only number 1 could help, number 2 is kinda just debugging your problem... In any case, if it continues to fail, I'd better take it to Samsung or your carrier for repair/replacement.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My car charger doesnt charge it either. In fact if I plug it in it drains the battery faster. My wife's works though. Maybe try another.

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I have same problem with usb charging in my Sonata. Only with Galaxy S4 but I tried multiple other phones and charging without problems and I using usb port in the car only showing and random blinking connecting to media. All other galaxy phones charging with no issues. I was wondering if there is way to disable media connection and instead charge the battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

LukeCarter1978

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for replying so quickly guy's. The strange thing about the car charger was one works and one doesn't??? and the fact the solar charger did it's job once and hasn't since yet it charges my wifes S3 each time. Is there any difference in power to make a difference in these 2 phones??

awong305

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

you need to get a 2.0 amp charger if not it will not charge the phone.....search amazon "2 amp galaxy s4 car charger"

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I think it might... I've had issues with the USB port in Samsung phones before, so it wouldn't surprise me. What happened to "Speed13" about it sometimes charging and sometimes wanting to connect to media is exactly how it all began, then S-Voice started popping up on its own until finally it stopped charging. A quick trip to Samsung repair and the phone was fixed.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

My car charger doesnt charge it either. In fact if I plug it in it drains the battery faster. My wife's works though. Maybe try another.

Most car chargers which are the type you plug a USB cable into will not supply enough amps to the phone. They are keyed to work with the iPhone which is not standard. I went through a few of those 2 amp chargers before figuring that out. Instead I bought a 2 amp charger which has the cable built in. That one works just fine. I'm using an original note which would drain faster than it would charge until I got the new charge.

This is the one I got. It charges both my Note and my wife's iPhone at the same time.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/de...pid=1218221913668&ep=pv-2.2.8,rc-av,av-0,rk-1

Posted via Android Central App

AZChaos

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Samsung, or at least the S4 is looking for a code on the USB cable attached to your phone. If the charger is official, this code gets sent and your phone will be in fast charge mode. If not, the phone will only get about 350mA of power. That is less than the USB off your computer. Its another way for Samsung to make money. I've tested it. I have 2 unofficial 2Amp 12V chargers and I always get the warning asking me to use the official charger. Its silly. This article explains more.

After digging further, it is the middle 2 wires. D+ and D- must be shorted (connected) and then the phone will think it is an official charger. Found here.

Nikole Gregory

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I've had this same issue!!! My s3 always charged just fine. Only certain chargers work with the s4. For example right now I'm using the white one that came with the phone and I'm LOSING battery. The ONLY chargers that new meet be gave me one issue are the original black HTC chargers that came with my evo. Have had them for years with no issue.

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry to come so late to the party, but I want to note that the actual problem may be in the cable. Some micro-USB cables are actually 5-pin cables, and some are 4-pin cables (however many pins they seem to have, only 4 are working). Some of the cheap cables are 5-pin cables; some of the premium cables are 4-pin cables. The fifth pin is a device-identification line, and some devices require that. (Trying a series of 4-pin cables won't resolve this problem.)

Tom Dauria

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Don't blame the chargers. The usb in my wife's ford escape charges iphones and windows phone just fine. I don't recall having any issue with my htc one x either. It's just this piece o crap S4. Probably from all that junk samsung software that I don't want and can't get rid of.

NathanMcguire

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Hello, Im a newbie to this forum but it has helped me a few times when ive done general searches. Ive registered now and I need to ask a question.

My S4 charges normally with its own charger and USB, it charges from my old HTC charger, no problems. Now I've used my old in car charger (used for the HTC) to charge it fine, I brought a solar panel charger for when im fishing over a weekend and the first time the internal battery had been charged by the sun i plugged it into my S4 and it charged it to 100% in about 2 and a half hours. Ive tried to do it again and nothing?? so i thought that the solar battery might npot be charged so in order to test it I plugged my wifes S3 in and bingo it started charging. Ive brought a new in car cradle kit that comes with a small cigarette lighter plug with a USB socket to attach the kits USB cable into. Again it worked one but since hasnt yet does work on my wifes S3?????? because of this I tried my old HTC one in the car which is the old style giant plug in cigarette charger and bingo it charged my phone????. So now im confused, can anyone help with this as Ive spent the last 2 hours looking online at different conflicting problems and solutiions although please bear in mind i'm not electronically minded.

Many Thanks

Luke

It is pretty confusing indeed.. Hope you would have find some solution..I am considering solar charging system but not I will wait for some more time..

Avgvstvs

May 6, 2014
Visit site

It's the base. It might be supplying less than 2A. All Galaxies after the S4 need at least 2A.

Verizon S4 using Tapatalk

Avgvstvs

May 6, 2014
Visit site

That's why the S3 charger base doesn't work with the S4 and newer.

Verizon S4 using Tapatalk