06-09-2013 09:43 AM
31 12
tools
    New to android after finally making the switch . I've had my S4 for a few weeks now. Is having an anti-virus app really necessary? I don't download any shady apps or anything is that really what they are used for?
    06-08-2013 07:20 AM
    New to android after finally making the switch . I've had my S4 for a few weeks now. Is having an anti-virus app really necessary? I don't download any shady apps or anything is that really what they are used for?
    Not necessary if you just use common sense. Some of them have antitheft features which can be nice.
    06-08-2013 10:28 AM
    +1^ What FarishK said. The anti theft features provide peace of mind and they can also root out apps that aren't necessarily malicious but cause annoying adware or browser popups. Besides, the basic apps are free and don't tie up a lot of resources.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    06-08-2013 11:28 AM
    My view of security is this: it is a multi-layered process. Do everything you can think of. Even top websites can have a zero hour exploit. So, you don't download shady apps. But on THIS day some person decided to attack THAT website and people downloaded bad stuff as a result that wasn't even the fault of the original programmer. It's the wild, wild west these days. Or you get redirected to some website because you clicked on a tiny url in Twitter and it turns out to be something pushing malware in the background. You should have something like Lookout or AVG, absolutely.

In addition to their malware prevention and URL examinations, they also provide great features for things like finding your phone when it's lost; wiping data remotely from their website if it is stolen. Two-step verification, for instance, in Gmail makes it really hard to hack--unless they steal your phone. Then, you're in trouble. But with these services, you can lock down the phone or even wipe it clean remotely.

Lookout even has the phone camera take a picture if someone mis-enters a security password three times, and emails it to me.

It's not that expensive even for the premium protection. You also shouldn't assume it is 100% foolproof. Nothing is. Continue to exercise caution.
    06-09-2013 08:42 AM
    This thread is getting out of hand quickly....

Posted via Android Central App
    06-09-2013 09:20 AM
    Folks, if we're going to start making insults towards each other and start referring to regions/continents/countries and its population as stupid or any other degrading comments then we will just lock this thread up.

As far as discussion goes about downloading apps, stick to legit sites/stores and support your developers and all is well.

Thanks
    Paul627g
    Forums Moderator

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    monsieurms likes this.
    06-09-2013 09:43 AM
31 12