Top Level Domain Name Problem: Samsung Keyboard

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I am having one issue with my S4, when clicking & holding ".com" when typing in a URL to go to a site, I get the UK domains, how do I fix that..?!

The only us domains I get are '.com', '.org', '.edu', '.gov'; there's no ".net", nor any Canadian domains. The British domains I get are '.co.uk', '.org.uk', '.ac.uk', '.gov.uk'. So, what the hell is going on..?!

procol

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I think your language and input setting is set to English (United Kingdom) instead of English (United States). Better check My Device tab of Settings.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Is this on a certain browser?

Have you tried Chrome and the default "Internet" browser by Samsung? Let me know -- could be a browser or keyboard issue.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, it might be an issue with samsung's keyboard. I never use it so I couldn't tell you anything about it. =/
Settings --> My device --> Language and Input --> Samsung Keyboard settings (the little graphic on the right) --> Reset

Hopefully that works.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I think your language and input setting is set to English (United Kingdom) instead of English (United States). Better check My Device tab of Settings.
Sounds like he needs an English (Canada) option.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, it might be an issue with samsung's keyboard. I never use it so I couldn't tell you anything about it. =/
Settings --> My device --> Language and Input --> Samsung Keyboard settings (the little graphic on the right) --> Reset

Hopefully that works.

That didn't work.

Sounds like he needs an English (Canada) option.

Canadian English is only slightly different than american English.

The keyboard shouldn't be showing British TLDs when using English (united states).

Does anyone know of a keyboard that is similar to the Samsung one, that has the ".com"-type button with ".net", ".org" as options?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard shouldn't be showing British TLDs when using English (united states).

Does anyone know of a keyboard that is similar to the Samsung one, that has the ".com"-type button with ".net", ".org" as options?
SwiftKey has . Com, .Net, .Org and .Tv. I haven't found a place to customize them though as they also have preset @ domains for email, but not ones I need.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll look into SwiftKey.

I really have no idea why Samsung didn't look into this obvious problem at least in regards to the S4 in Canada!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Could it be a redirect issue with the webpage?

I mean, if you are typing it in, does it show up as .com then change to the uk address upon loading?

Also, you say that you tap and hold. All you need to do is tap the .com button, and .com will be inserted. Works on all of my keyboards on my Galaxy S4 and Note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't looking to use '.com', I was going to go to:

neowin.net (while holding down the button, you get a popup -- so to speak -- with the other TLDs on it, just not the one I needed)

When I noticed the British TLDs. Samsung has said ".net" & ".ca", etc. should be there in place of the British TLDs, it's obvious they were wrong and screwed something up!

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I guess I didn't get that from the original post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't looking to use '.com', I was going to go to:

neowin.net (while holding down the button, you get a popup -- so to speak -- with the other TLDs on it, just not the one I needed)

When I noticed the British TLDs. Samsung has said ".net" & ".ca", etc. should be there in place of the British TLDs, it's obvious they were wrong and screwed something up!
I was playing with an S4 at Best Buy and thought I'd see what happened when I tried it. The first thing I noticed was that the phone was set on UK English. Then after I changed it, it still showed your same options. Here's my theory. The phone was set up with UK English, so changing it later doesn't fix it. It's that possible in your case? Maybe there's another setting somewhere that has to be changed.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The phone was never touched by anyone else, it was new in sealed box, I was the first person to set it up, and I put it on English (us), and I was getting the UK TLDs, I even recently factory reset it, and that didn't do a thing, still UK TLDs.

Turns out I have tried SwiftKey, last year on my Galaxy Nexus, there was one other one I tried -- not Swype -- but cannot remember the name of it.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, like I said, it was like that at the store and I'm sure those were right out of the box as well. I would still check in your regular phone settings to be sure it doesn't have language set incorrectly. Good luck. Kii and A I are good keyboards too but I don't know if they have this feature.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX