How soon will the S4 be updated?

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
So I am verrryyy use to the way apple rolls out updates, in other words, when its released everyone gets it. I know Android is not the same. I have heard that the HTC One will be getting 4.3 JellyBean pretty much when it is released.. And of course the google nexus products as well. But is there an amount of time the s4 owners will have to wait?

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
So I am verrryyy use to the way apple rolls out updates, in other words, when its released everyone gets it. I know Android is not the same. I have heard that the HTC One will be getting 4.3 JellyBean pretty much when it is released.. And of course the google nexus products as well. But is there an amount of time the s4 owners will have to wait?

From what I hear about Samsung updates. A long time.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If the S3 is to be taken as the example, it is about 6-7 months behind the curve of Nexus devices. This puts it out there as one of the fastest updating mainstream flagships around.

It started getting Jelly Bean 4.1 in December/January, varying by carrier. 4.1 was released in June 2012.

As of April 2013, the speculation for the S3 getting 4.2.2 was "soon, maybe". 4.2.2 was released in February. There was a 4.2.1 leak in March, but nothing came of it.

If 4.3 comes out in June, I'd expect the S4 to get it during 2013, probably late Q3 or in Q4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The 4.2.2 update for the HTC One and the 4.3 update for Nexus devices are rumored to have similar timing. I honestly wouldn't expect 4.3 on an HTC device until this fall.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The One is getting 4.2.2 in June, 4.3 is rumored to be released in June. The One will not see 4.3 this year, but to be fair neither will any other phone other than a Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20