08-31-2013 09:38 AM
203 1234 ...
tools
    I am not scoffing at anything. I think it is absolute great news that Samsung is giving their users this option, as I stated before. But everyone is always happy with new updates until it doesn't work out how its supposed to. That is all that I've mentioned.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    True. But at least the option is there, which is something that was looking to be 0% possible 24 hours ago.
    SlatanicWH likes this.
    06-06-2013 10:27 AM
    Samslung <~~~yes fo life

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    tohio likes this.
    06-06-2013 10:28 AM
    I could have predicted that the HTC boys would be the first to dump on this positive move by Samsung. I'll bet if Samsung said they were releasing a 128 GB phone Some HTC supporters would be telling us how it was a bad idea and be careful about the consequences.

Edit: To those in this thread, I was not referring to posts by the moderators. Really!
    Nah, nobody is saying it's a bad move. I think the point is that it needs to be done right so that it doesn't cause more issues than it solves. Nothing worse than buying a phone for a particular set of features only to have one of those features make your phone not function properly. Not saying it's a guarantee, but it can happen. With any phone that has SD cards, not just Samsung (Sony had some serious issues also with screens going dead).

Sometimes I wish people would stop thinking that anyone is attacking anything. There are positives and negatives to everything. Geez
    karsdroid likes this.
    06-06-2013 10:43 AM
    What i really like is that they're addressing this problem
    I think that's the big thing to take away from this as well. I think it would be a nice bonus if they made their SD card interface more robust at the same time to help accommodate this change, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    06-06-2013 10:52 AM
    AMAZING!!! Need this update QUICK!!
    06-06-2013 10:54 AM
    Huh? You guys(htc fans) are saying it's going to create more problems than answers, and "nobody is saying it's a bad move." Guys how about waiting until update comes out, before complaining about Samsung. We don't know it's going to create major problems or not.
    06-06-2013 11:02 AM
    How about not calling us "HTC fans" and realize that we are truly just interested in the outcome of this? There is nothing wrong with speculation. It not like we are telling you that Samsung sucks and nothing can revive this DOA phone (which we all know isnt true.) The s4 is a great phone and Samsung is doing a wonderful thing for its user base that will make the device an even greater one. Any manufacturer could stand to learn from that example. A word of caution does not equal bashing a phone

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    06-06-2013 11:07 AM
    Btw, on Engadget they said that the update also slims down the Samsung software by 0.8 GB. So we'll get some extra storage out of the gate.

Source: Galaxy S 4 software update enables moving apps to SD card, HDR video recording and more
    Kevin OQuinn and BigDinCA like this.
    06-06-2013 11:11 AM
    This is indeed good news for those with the 9GB model. Personally, I have no problem with not being able to move apps to sd because I opted for the 24GB model (yes, I know they are 16GB/32GB, respectively). The apps to sd issue is the same as if Microsoft had released Windows 8 available only preinstalled on a 160GB hard drive and you could not use a slave drive for additional apps, just your pics, music and videos. Android is decent, but it has its major flaws which include the destructively restrictive carriers.
    06-06-2013 11:13 AM
    Huh? You guys(htc fans) are saying it's going to create more problems than answers, and "nobody is saying it's a bad move." Guys how about waiting until update comes out, before complaining about Samsung. We don't know it's going to create major problems or not.
    How about not calling us "HTC fans" and realize that we are truly just interested in the outcome of this? There is nothing wrong with speculation. It not like we are telling you that Samsung sucks and nothing can revive this DOA phone (which we all know isnt true.) The s4 is a great phone and Samsung is doing a wonderful thing for its user base that will make the device an even greater one. Any manufacturer could stand to learn from that example. A word of caution does not equal bashing a phone

I agree with Jennifer, i love htc devices but have had 2 Sammy devices (Gs3 & Gn2), both of which only had 16Gb which was sucky, but i will switch back to Sammy if indeed this update does go well. I'd love to be able to have more than 16(9Gb) available on a device. :thumbup: I use an Sd card on my Lte evo and would gladly switch over to a Gs4 to make full use of it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    06-06-2013 11:15 AM
    You must be new here.

And I'd have to say since some people are having trouble saving on SD the regular way, they'll be some lost souls regardless of how it's implemented. But yeah, I'm interested to see if it's different.

If I happen to have time I might work up enough courage to flash this update when it's posted and tell everyone how it is.
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
    06-06-2013 11:18 AM
    You are right, SD update from samsung may cause some problems. But saying it may potentially cause more problems than answers, sounds more like it's going to a bad thing. Who would want an update with more problems than answers?? This doesn't sound like a caution to me.
    06-06-2013 11:19 AM
    You are right, SD update from samsung may cause some problems. But saying it may potentially cause more problems than answers, sounds more like it's going to a bad thing. Who would want an update with more problems than answers?? This doesn't sound like a caution to me.
    No one would want an update that causes more problems than solutions. Hence the hundreds of threads a week asking how to downgrade from updates that are causing them problems. This needs to quit being taken so personally. It is a device, not a family member. No one is insulting your phone or the manufacturer.

06-06-2013 11:27 AM
    Really?? did I sound personally insulted? Well, i'm not insulted at all. I'm just annoyed.
    06-06-2013 11:38 AM
    Really?? did I sound personally insulted? Well, i'm not insulted at all. I'm just annoyed.
    I didn't mean you personally. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I mean in the forums as a whole. One users, s4 users, LGop, note 2, all of them. If you mention anything that could be perceived as negative, someone gets their feelings hurt, and often times it leads to a very derailed board.

06-06-2013 11:41 AM
    Good point if the update is not the generic move to sd that used to exist. If it is ap app dev issue, there will be some conflict, since direction from Android team is not to use it, hence removed as a feature from the framework and not an official install script option for devs.

Some devs might not want to do it for the same customer service stability issues that got it removed in the first place.

Much cleaner for everyone if Samsung somehow were able to add the feature as a generic option it used to be. Not seeing how that can be done in a stable manner.

Me thinks this update will not be universally accepted and will be a few months down the road.
    06-06-2013 11:53 AM
    Really looking forward more to possible speed, battery life and camera improvements. Oh and some bugfixes.
    06-06-2013 11:58 AM
    Still waiting for a Verizon 32Gb S4. More internal memory bypasses so many problems. There must be truth to the stories of a shortage of NAND internal memory. Why else are the 32Gb and 64Gb models NOT being offered besides by AT&T? Imagine having enough internal memory and not worrying about the SD memory problems ....
    rushmore, planoman and wtherrell like this.
    06-06-2013 12:01 PM
    Do you think that this update will roll out to other Sammy phones like the Note 2? <crossing fingers> It would just make sense to allow this to all compatible phones.
    06-06-2013 12:02 PM
    So the reintroduction of apps-to-SD might alleviate some of these storage issues, but you'll still be relying on app developers to enable apps-to-SD before you're able to use it.
    As was pointed out early by a poster from the article, the above factor will make or break this updates effectiveness. Will developers put the needed time into implementing this properly into current and new apps? Will carriers even allow it, VZW comes to mind unfortunately?

Point being it is good to see that this feature is making a resurgence and Samsung has jumped on board with implementing it on their flagship phone. I also believe the way they are implementing the update is smart, first Germany then a few more markets at a time over the weeks vs. dumping it everywhere all at once.

Regards,
    06-06-2013 12:08 PM
    It'll come to Verizon a week after the S5 comes out.
    Lol

GS4 Love
    06-06-2013 12:55 PM
    This changes everything!
    06-06-2013 12:59 PM
    Only in an AC forum would someone post a positive article about a phone and others would immediately tell you to be cautious, it might not work, developers won't support it, your SD card will fail etc, etc. It isn't even available for the US yet! Sounds like sour grapes to me. Let's see if people in Germany start seeing their S4s bursts into flames or they are injured by their SD cards flying out of their phones before we trash the update and good product support.
    weblou, orion575 and SlatanicWH like this.
    06-06-2013 01:02 PM
    As was pointed out early by a poster from the article, the above factor will make or break this updates effectiveness. Will developers put the needed time into implementing this properly into current and new apps? Will carriers even allow it, VZW comes to mind unfortunately?

Point being it is good to see that this feature is making a resurgence and Samsung has jumped on board with implementing it on their flagship phone. I also believe the way they are implementing the update is smart, first Germany then a few more markets at a time over the weeks vs. dumping it everywhere all at once.

Regards,
    I was about to say the same thing. I was wondering why no one replied to those facts? I just hope that Samsung had enough time to thoroughly test this solution.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-06-2013 01:02 PM
    I don't know why Google took away this option anyway, to me this was one of the best features about android. Moving apps and files to SD is one of the reasons why the SD card is so valuable, it gives us the options, because of the space the is on the device when we but then. A device without an SD card is crazy, this is why I bought the S3 but I later found out that Google had did away with the move to SD feature, now that Samsung has brought it back I would love to see it on the S3 next update. We need this option thank you Samsung.
    06-06-2013 01:07 PM
203 1234 ...