08-31-2013 09:38 AM
203 12345 ...
tools
    Only in an AC forum would someone post a positive article about a phone and others would immediately tell you to be cautious, it might not work, developers won't support it, your SD card will fail etc, etc. It isn't even available for the US yet! Sounds like sour grapes to me. Let's see if people in Germany start seeing their S4s bursts into flames or they are injured by their SD cards flying out of their phones before we trash the update and good product support.
    Lol. Exactly, it's like telling iphone people, don't use android phones because they're fragmented and potential for viruses.
    06-06-2013 01:19 PM
    No one is "trashing" the update.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    06-06-2013 01:24 PM
    You must be new here.

And I'd have to say since some people are having trouble saving on SD the regular way, they'll be some lost souls regardless of how it's implemented. But yeah, I'm interested to see if it's different.

If I happen to have time I might work up enough courage to flash this update when it's posted and tell everyone how it is.
    Doesn't look that difficult to me

06-06-2013 01:49 PM
    How about not calling us "HTC fans" and realize that we are truly just interested in the outcome of this? There is nothing wrong with speculation. It not like we are telling you that Samsung sucks and nothing can revive this DOA phone (which we all know isnt true.) The s4 is a great phone and Samsung is doing a wonderful thing for its user base that will make the device an even greater one. Any manufacturer could stand to learn from that example. A word of caution does not equal bashing a phone

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    So true, I remember a lot of trashing going down after Sammy/AT&T released JB for the S3. It had and still has some bugs in it. Overall the update was great but not completely bug free. I'm sure the next won will be no different.
    orion575 likes this.
    06-06-2013 02:54 PM
    Tohio it doesn't upset me at all. I'm glad there are still people that understand the inherent drawbacks of SD cards being used for app storage.

I guess it's good that they're doing this, but I bet the first day it's rolled out to a large amount of users we'll have threads pop up about apps not working right.

Not trying to be negative, but scan the topics of these forums real quick and note the people having problems with the SD card.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I've already noticed some posts with SD cards problems, including random ejecting after trying several different SD cards. I mean this is a start so I'll give them credit for trying at least, but the saga between Samsung phones and sd card issues is a long and sordid tale. I'll stick with 32+ internal storage on my phones.
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
    06-06-2013 02:58 PM
    I mean this is a start so I'll give them credit for trying at least, but the saga between Samsung phones and sd card issues is a long and sordid tale.
    My experience has been that it's been that way with all Android phones. Of the 5 Android phones we've owned between the wife and I (2 original Droids, 2 Droid X2s and 1 Galaxy S4) I think only one of them hasn't had some sort of issue with the SD cards not wanting to stay mounted 100% of the time. I've used dozens of devices at work using the same brand SD cards that I do in my cell phones (no Android devices, though) with none of the same issues.
    06-06-2013 03:06 PM
    Smooth4lyfe,

Nice!!! You updated it via Kies or do you live in Europe and got the update OTA?

Also, I see that the "Move to SD card" button is grayed out. So, not all apps can be moved to the sdcard?
    06-06-2013 03:10 PM
    I think the most important line in this article (the AC one, here: International Samsung Galaxy S4 updated with apps-to-SD support, visual changes | Android Central) is, "(Update: We're also noticing significantly improved responsiveness and less animation lag in this new S4 firmware.)" That's HUGE!

Don't care about apps2SD, that isn't the problem with SD storage but this definitely, assuming it's executed flawlessly, going to alleviate many of the threads about people asking why their SD card "doesn't work". Now we just need it to automatically show up as a separate drive when the device is connected via USB and for people to only buy Samsung branded cards.

I'll bet if Samsung said they were releasing a 128 GB phone Some HTC supporters would be telling us how it was a bad idea and be careful about the consequences
    My first response would be, "Great! now where is the 256GB version?"
    MERCDROID likes this.
    06-06-2013 03:12 PM
    This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.
    Main reason why I stick with them! They give me a device that allows me to do whatever the hell I want with it! Screw your walled gardens and aluminum cases!!
    HTC has already rapidly released one update in direct response to customer feedback and are including almost every customer feedback requested in their soon to be released 4.2 update. HTC also officially supports unlocking their bootloaders now in direct response to community feedback. I'm not seeing what you're implying.
    I could have predicted that the HTC boys would be the first to dump on this positive move by Samsung. I'll bet if Samsung said they were releasing a 128 GB phone Some HTC supporters would be telling us how it was a bad idea and be careful about the consequences.

Edit: To those in this thread, I was not referring to posts by the moderators. Really!
    Nah, nobody is saying it's a bad move. I think the point is that it needs to be done right so that it doesn't cause more issues than it solves. Nothing worse than buying a phone for a particular set of features only to have one of those features make your phone not function properly. Not saying it's a guarantee, but it can happen. With any phone that has SD cards, not just Samsung (Sony had some serious issues also with screens going dead).

Sometimes I wish people would stop thinking that anyone is attacking anything. There are positives and negatives to everything. Geez
    How about not calling us "HTC fans" and realize that we are truly just interested in the outcome of this? There is nothing wrong with speculation. It not like we are telling you that Samsung sucks and nothing can revive this DOA phone (which we all know isnt true.) The s4 is a great phone and Samsung is doing a wonderful thing for its user base that will make the device an even greater one. Any manufacturer could stand to learn from that example. A word of caution does not equal bashing a phone.
    Only in an AC forum would someone post a positive article about a phone and others would immediately tell you to be cautious, it might not work, developers won't support it, your SD card will fail etc, etc. It isn't even available for the US yet! Sounds like sour grapes to me. Let's see if people in Germany start seeing their S4s bursts into flames or they are injured by their SD cards flying out of their phones before we trash the update and good product support.
    No one is "trashing" the update.
    It seems it doesn't matter how many times these two moderators have pointed out that nobody is trashing it, they're simply being rational and reasonable about the pros and cons, you just want to be angry.
    06-06-2013 03:12 PM
    What device do you have that has 32GB+ of storage? if your talking about the ONE.. you have maybe 25GB of available storage out of the box (unless you have the 64GB version?)
    I been using an SD card on my phone for over a year and NEVER had an issue. Just like everything else you get what you pay for. 32GB SD card for $30.. is probably better then the one at $7.99 on ebay

So you stick to your "32GB+" phone and i'll stick to my 48GB+ phone

I've already noticed some posts with SD cards problems, including random ejecting after trying several different SD cards. I mean this is a start so I'll give them credit for trying at least, but the saga between Samsung phones and sd card issues is a long and sordid tale. I'll stick with 32+ internal storage on my phones.
    SlatanicWH likes this.
    06-06-2013 03:13 PM
    the ONE.. you have maybe 25GB of available storage out of the box

i'll stick to my 48GB+ phone

Interesting math...
    06-06-2013 03:19 PM
    You make it sound as if this is a brain surgery. I'm not a software guy, in fact far from it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it couldn't be too far from using usb on a computer. I'm sure there are more things involved than this for the sd card to work flawlessly in a smartphone. But problems that are much more complicated and sophisticated than this have been solved.
    06-06-2013 03:20 PM
    You make it sound as if this is a brain surgery. I'm not a software guy, in fact far from it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it couldn't be too far from using usb on a computer. I'm sure there are more things involved than this for the sd card to work flawlessly in a smartphone. But problems that are much more complicated and sophisticated than this have been solved.
    I never made it sound like anything, I was pointing out what others have written not what I had written.
    06-06-2013 03:23 PM
    So you don't feel confused
    I used 16GB that comes on the S4 + 32GB SD card
    Only reason i used 16GB and not 9GB is because you seem to think your HTC has 32GB of storage
    All clear?

Interesting math...
    06-06-2013 03:24 PM
    Try pointing out things you've experienced... Not what you read somewhere
    I never made it sound like anything, I was pointing out what others have written not what I had written.
    06-06-2013 03:25 PM
    So you stick to your "32GB+" phone and i'll stick to my 48GB+ phone
    I think 48GB+ goes in quotes too, since it's actually around 38-40ish depending on card brand, formatting, etc. This leaves between approximately 79% and 83% for the end user.

To compare, Sense + pre-loading seems to take up around 5GB so their 32 is around 27. This leaves about 84% of the space to the user on the 32GB, on the 64GB they retain about 92% of the space.

Edited spelling issue.
    06-06-2013 03:25 PM
    So you don't feel confused
    I used 16GB that comes on the S4 + 32GB SD card
    Only reason i used 16GB and not 9GB is because you seem to think your HTC has 32GB of storage
    All clear?
    Nice try. I think what you meant to say was "I thought I could get away with making it sound more in my favor but now that you caught me I'm back pedaling and trying to make it look like you're dense so I can save face"

Yep, quite clear, thanks.
    06-06-2013 03:27 PM
    Try pointing out things you've experienced... Not what you read somewhere
    you mad? OK then I guess every single article I've read on AC was first reported and experienced here by the writers too. Seriously? Is that all you can resort to is petty bickering over really stupid things? Don't be ridiculous.
    06-06-2013 03:28 PM
    Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this is one of those threads now. Cya bye.

Nice job Sammy, this gesture goes a long way with some of your customers and I hope it's executed well and supported.
    06-06-2013 03:29 PM
    I really don't care LOL
    it was a simple 16GB+ (phone) + 32GB Card compared to 32GB phone.

I think 48GB+ goes in quotes too, since it's actually around 38-40ish depending on card brand, formatting, etc. This leaves between approximately 79% and 83% for the end user.

To compare, Sense + pre-loading seems to take up around 5GB so their 32 is around 27. This leaves about 84% of the space to the user on the 32GB, on the 64GB they retain about 92% of the space.

Edited spelling issue.
    06-06-2013 03:30 PM
    Smooth4lyfe,

Nice!!! You updated it via Kies or do you live in Europe and got the update OTA?

Also, I see that the "Move to SD card" button is grayed out. So, not all apps can be moved to the sdcard?
    Lol No its a screenshot I found on SamMobile....I don't have it yet
    06-06-2013 03:30 PM
    Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this is one of those threads now. Cya bye.

Nice job Sammy, this gesture goes a long way with some of your customers and I hope it's executed well and supported.
    I pointed out the exact same thing that Kevin did but since he's a moderator and I'm not, mister braveheart up above feels safer to attack me instead. Not my fault mate, sorry.
    06-06-2013 03:31 PM
    you mad? OK then I guess every single article I've read on AC was first reported and experienced here by the writers too. Seriously? Is that all you can resort to is petty bickering over really stupid things? Don't be ridiculous.
    Actually, the writers for the blog of AC make certain that what they are posting is not fictitious. That's why they very seldom, if ever, post rumors, but instead wait until it is verified. And we have a great team that goes hands in with all of the devices that they write about :thumbup:

06-06-2013 03:33 PM
    Actually, the writers for the blog of AC make certain that what they are posting is not fictitious. That's why they very seldom, if ever, post rumors, but instead wait until it is verified. And we have a great team that goes hands in with all of the devices that they write about :thumbup:

I know and agree, which is what I was pointing out.
    06-06-2013 03:34 PM
    I think the most important line in this article (the AC one, here: International Samsung Galaxy S4 updated with apps-to-SD support, visual changes | Android Central) is, "(Update: We're also noticing significantly improved responsiveness and less animation lag in this new S4 firmware.)" That's HUGE!
    I'd say so. For the highest clocked processor on the market there is no reason for it to perform like it is.

One thing that's been overlooked by the SD talk is the new camera firmware in the update. I wonder if it'll make the camera perform on even ground with the One in lowlight. That could be huge.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-06-2013 03:35 PM
203 12345 ...