08-31-2013 09:38 AM
203 ... 56789
tools
    I want 32 to 64 int mem. Then a slot for another 64. I change my phones less these days because I have zero desire for anything different. The fact is sd cards are a challene at best for manufacturers. The sentiment here is that it is not possible without issues? That is so 2009. I am sure it will work for samsungs customers, and that is a o k with many. Just let it be lol. Opinions are so overrated.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    06-07-2013 06:23 AM
    True. But at least the option is there, which is something that was looking to be 0% possible 24 hours ago.
    Which can end up causing even more problems, if the option provided is half-baked and doesn't work properly. Without the option, at least your data was safely segmented between your internal storage and sd-card.

That's the theory behind the paradox of choice. More options, greater chance of making a poor one.

For whatever it is worth, I hope Samsung had thought this one through thoroughly and taken the time to code it properly. Lest we see the next wave of complaints by people experiencing problems when they try to do exactly this.
    06-07-2013 06:31 AM
    If the firmware is already out and about, looks like they shot from the hip to get something out there fast. This would suggest there is high sensitivity to the space issue. Perhaps this will force Samsung to be more desirous of getting 32GB options into channels. Unless they think this (from a result standpoint) half baked solution is the greatest thing since the discovery of fire.
    06-07-2013 06:39 AM
    Though this makes no sense, a person has apparently already tested the new firmware and apparently you can only move the app core and NOT the data. This would mean the smallest fraction of the app can be moved to sd and the biggest part of the app stays internal. This would be pure stupid and mean that it would only help people that mainly use small apps with little to no data files. Those people would not have trouble with 9GB in the first place.
    If that winds up being all there is, my excitement is officially gone.

Re: other issues, if you pick and choose apps carefully, namely, big ones designed to run off of a card, I don't think it is a huge issue. At this point the only apps I'd move to a card would be things like Trip Advisor's fully downloaded city guides which can make up some 150 megs. I understand the stability issues--but I ran lots of stuff off of a card before including Kindle, Power Amp and others, and never had any particular problems for years of use with one card.

It is a nice advantage to have if carefully thought out and used only when you need it. At the moment, I don't, and will leave things to default to internal. But if at some point I'm desperate, it's a tool in the toolbox. Because the only other option would be uninstalling the app entirely.

What??? Isn't this why they SHOULD include a memory card???
    If they are tired of seeing OEMs include a lot of space while people are still running out, a SD Card would help that by allowing people to put their music on an external storage while using the internal storage for apps. One big block of storage is WORST than 2 separate storages. If that one storage goes bad, you're pretty much fcuked

The only problem is the bloatware which Carriers and OEMs seem to be using to fill the rest of the internal space
    Darn right. Bloatware is a major issue and they don't even let you uninstall, which is the bigger problem. I don't mind being offered duplicate services.But I'm forced to keep them.

Plus, I want my media files and ebooks on a card. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that files like that have to be in main memory. And if you're going to take away my SD card slot, you'd better start making reasonably priced 128gb machines. Even then--experience dictates, if the space is there people will find things to use if for. I always want the option. I travel a lot. Streaming is not always a good answer. Plus it uses lot of battery power--the typical big complaint about these phones. I'm a media junkie. I have uses for a card.

Cards also make files easy to backup, bring a spare, and you don't always have to have your device connected to a computer. (Obviously, I won't buy a device without a SD card slot.)
    06-07-2013 07:18 AM
    HTC has already rapidly released one update in direct response to customer feedback and are including almost every customer feedback requested in their soon to be released 4.2 update. HTC also officially supports unlocking their bootloaders now in direct response to community feedback. I'm not seeing what you're implying.
    All of a sudden now right. What about 1, 2+ years ago?!?! Too little to late, for me personally. Samsung has been giving 'ME' what I expect from my device from years now. Thats why I stick with them. The day they don't provide me with what I expect is the day I start looking for another manufacturer.
    tohio likes this.
    06-07-2013 07:46 AM

They need to unbundle their bloatware and put it on the market for only their supported phone models. That will solve much of the issue.
    That's the best idea to change how OEMs handle their bundled ware I've ever read
    06-07-2013 07:53 AM
    Another interesting tibit, will S4 nexus support sd card?
    Wait, are you saying that there might not be such a thing as "pure" Android?!?!

If Samsung ever took away MicroSD Cards, I'd be sending 100 letters of hate anonymously to them
    That's a lot of letters, I'd start now. I don't think it will be all that long before uSD cards aren't included on any phones. Internal storage is getting cheaper and SD cards are difficult to deal with on many levels and there's no signs of it getting easier to implement. If anything it's getting harder.

My view is that Samsung is a bit behind the curve on storage. They should be offering 32GB and 64GB versions only with no uSD card slot. People that need more than 64GB are probably way fewer than those that are OK with only 16GB and everything is easier to design both hardware and software wise with just internal storage. They probably made more work and expense for themselves than they would have had they just made 32GB standard.

Though I can see where they're coming from. I'm a user that considers 16GB and 32GB to be pretty much the same. Both are more than enough to hold my apps, data and pictures (especially with cloud storage), but neither are enough to hold all my music (~30GB worth). Without unlimited data streaming my music from the cloud isn't an option and I can't guarantee that I'll have service at the most crucial times I'd want music (e.g. on a plane). If it all went down the way it is now, most people would only have the 32GB option with no way to expand. They'd have to either wait for their carrier to stock the 64GB version or just accept that if they have any sort of music collection that it won't all fit. At least this way us in that situation can throw it all on a 64GB card even if it doesn't mount correctly 100% of the time. It's not the best solution but it's better than nothing.

It all seems obvious now, but imagine having to make this decision a year or two ago when they were coming up with the initial specs. It's not as straight forward as it may seem now.

As I said before, I think this will all be done with in a couple years. If I can get a 64GB internal storage device with no SD card slot I can have all the storage I want and the mechanical advantages they designers will have will potentially allow for new features or a larger battery.
    06-07-2013 08:48 AM
    Again, you seem to be applying your standard of usage to everyone. There are about 15% of users that do want more than 32 or 64gb models, if no sd slot.
    06-07-2013 09:18 AM
    I have recently got the s4 after 3.5 years with the nokia n97 32gb. I've never filled the hd but came close once. 16(9)gb is not enough (as we all are saying) with an app to sd all we need is an ' I accept there could be problems' button to push. Most of the time we can reinstall without purchasing again. Just backup. App makers should make app to dload to sd but (game,excel, cad)etc go to an internal hd save option
    06-07-2013 10:01 AM
    If you're not willing to pay much then don't complain about the amount of onboard storage you get. Higher amounts of storage cost more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    I wasn't complaining about the amount of storage onboard. I was just making a joke, that you can never have too much storage space.
    06-07-2013 10:30 AM
    Again, you seem to be applying your standard of usage to everyone. There are about 15% of users that do want more than 32 or 64gb models, if no sd slot.
    I wish we could see sales data to back any of these speculative numbers up. We can use Apple as an example, though, and your number is WAY high. The 32gb S3 sold so little that they never released the 64gb. The demand just wasn't there. This is why, when people say they want something, they need to speak with their wallet and get it. That's the only way to really make manufacturers listen. That also applies to Developer Editions and the Google Editions that are on their way.
    06-07-2013 10:59 AM
    I wish we could see sales data to back any of these speculative numbers up. We can use Apple as an example, though, and your number is WAY high. The 32gb S3 sold so little that they never released the 64gb. The demand just wasn't there. This is why, when people say they want something, they need to speak with their wallet and get it. That's the only way to really make manufacturers listen. That also applies to Developer Editions and the Google Editions that are on their way.
    If you were talking ipods....32 gigs is not much. I think enough people like to be able to store large data. No matter how ideal you opinion is, demand sets production. There will be plenty for all. Can you imagine if one opinion were the way it should be for everyone? That would blow. Why people minimize a product because it isnt available in their precious brand is beyond me. Let it be. It is neat and cool for many users. Lol at this silly thread ans the justification of whatever opinion is next ha ha

06-07-2013 11:41 AM
    If you were talking ipods....32 gigs is not much. I think enough people like to be able to store large data. No matter how ideal you opinion is, demand sets production. There will be plenty for all. Can you imagine if one opinion were the way it should be for everyone? That would blow. Why people minimize a product because it isnt available in their precious brand is beyond me. Let it be. It is neat and cool for many users. Lol at this silly thread ans the justification of whatever opinion is next ha ha

Demand determined that they didn't need the 64gb version of the S3....

Plus I didn't post a link to back up what I said. So I probably made it up. I'll do a quick Google Search and post the first link that I find that backs up what I'm saying....
    06-07-2013 11:48 AM
    If I could expand my storage with a SD card, I wouldn't buy the 32gb or larger S3.
    06-07-2013 11:57 AM
    I'll admit storage is a great thing but I still believe in good device management/maintenance. I get the whole idea of having your media (pics, videos-movies, music) on your device and a healthy handful of apps but same time do we really need to carry around so much media or apps? My wife was all about getting the S3/32 gb version when it came out. She got it, spent the extra $50 and you know what she barely even makes a dent in the total storage. So she could of gotten away with the 16 gb version and been more than happy. Why? Because I kept on her about routine cleaning and maintenance of her device. Same said for my daughter with her iPhone 4, she complains about storage and I tell her do you really need on a daily basis 100-200 apps? Do you need to carry around couple hundred pictures? Hundred or two songs? I explained she has to plug in every night to charge anyways so make use of the sync apps while charging and spend the 5 mins to swap stuff in and out to keep things neat and clean.

I have survived for 2 years now on a NS4G (16 gb) and GNex (32 gb) and even hauling around a few different ROMs, space hogging backups, some music, tons of pics I really don't use up my space to the point of danger or running out.

Of course this is just me, my experience but maybe some should take a better look at how they maintain their devices. Some normal housecleaning of old apps, pics, etc can do wonders for getting back tons of space and keep your device running smooth at the same time.

So yeah, I welcome the apps to sdcard option again and sdcards in general but its not something I " bank " on, even when I used devices that supported sdcards. Not to mention when more onboard/built in storage equals higher cost then I start to rethink my direction too...
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-07-2013 02:03 PM
    I'll admit storage is a great thing but I still believe in good device management/maintenance. I get the whole idea of having your media (pics, videos-movies, music) on your device and a healthy handful of apps but same time do we really need to carry around so much media or apps? My wife was all about getting the S3/32 gb version when it came out. She got it, spent the extra $50 and you know what she barely even makes a dent in the total storage. So she could of gotten away with the 16 gb version and been more than happy. Why? Because I kept on her about routine cleaning and maintenance of her device. Same said for my daughter with her iPhone 4, she complains about storage and I tell her do you really need on a daily basis 100-200 apps? Do you need to carry around couple hundred pictures? Hundred or two songs? I explained she has to plug in every night to charge anyways so make use of the sync apps while charging and spend the 5 mins to swap stuff in and out to keep things neat and clean.

I have survived for 2 years now on a NS4G (16 gb) and GNex (32 gb) and even hauling around a few different ROMs, space hogging backups, some music, tons of pics I really don't use up my space to the point of danger or running out.

Of course this is just me, my experience but maybe some should take a better look at how they maintain their devices. Some normal housecleaning of old apps, pics, etc can do wonders for getting back tons of space and keep your device running smooth at the same time.

So yeah, I welcome the apps to sdcard option again and sdcards in general but its not something I " bank " on, even when I used devices that supported sdcards. Not to mention when more onboard/built in storage equals higher cost then I start to rethink my direction too...
    Yay for being proactive! Of course we don't have to have 100% of all the media we've ever seen physically in our pocket, and we don't have to stream 100% of the media we do view from the cloud. There is a balance, and a little bit of thinking makes these restrictions incredibly easy to manage for most people. Those people that have extreme cases, obviously require more proactive planning or a different device selection.
    06-07-2013 02:10 PM

I agree with that only when it comes to pictures, because now we have cloud storage and that would be easier to free up space though...I have put a lot of my pictures on DropBox so I can surely free some space off my SD Card

I would have to disagree when it comes to music though. This could be subjective though because I am a music head, I love music
    Of course I wouldnt put ALL my music on my phone (I have a LOT of music), but I wouldnt put just 4-5 albums. Believe it or not, I have 137 albums on my phone, and YES I listen to all of them (love shuffle mode)...this is where an SD Card is key for me...it would mean easy transfers from one device to another, and easier to organize on my SD Card than on my phone, and also doesn't force me to delete some music a like just to save space for apps

Pretty much it depends on the person, but I am just glad there are choices of phones with SD Card and some without...I'll be damned if every Android phone was to be without an SD Card (or removable battery, but thats another topic)
    06-07-2013 02:30 PM
    But yes, we could figure out ways to get by with less onboard storage. Which means giving up something. Either what we like having available, or the cost of a bigger data plan.
    06-07-2013 02:36 PM
    I just dont see why 128G SD is not supported. Maybe when they run out of old 16G, 32G.

composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    06-07-2013 02:41 PM
    I think we might see other efforts considering sales are not as expected with the S4. I posted in the forum about a WSJ article today. I am hoping this means Verizon will feel compelled to offer a 32GB, since even stores are noting the storage space is a noted point of concern with buyers and the apparent fix is a minor help for the apps that actually take up a lot of space.
    06-07-2013 02:47 PM
    I agree with that only when it comes to pictures, because now we have cloud storage and that would be easier to free up space though...I have put a lot of my pictures on DropBox so I can surely free some space off my SD Card
    Yes Dropbox is a huge plus for pictures or Photobucket. I use both constantly for my personal needs and stuff I share in the forums either public or moderator related. Not to mention kudo's to Dropbox & Photobucket for making such good apps that integrate very well with Android.

I would have to disagree when it comes to music though. This could be subjective though because I am a music head, I love music
    Of course I wouldnt put ALL my music on my phone (I have a LOT of music), but I wouldnt put just 4-5 albums. Believe it or not, I have 137 albums on my phone, and YES I listen to all of them (love shuffle mode)...this is where an SD Card is key for me...it would mean easy transfers from one device to another, and easier to organize on my SD Card than on my phone, and also doesn't force me to delete some music a like just to save space for apps
    Yeah I agree too.. There are people that love their music and well you should darn it! Music is awesome, and that is the hard part to balance with making storage work either built in or sdcard.

When it comes to argument (not referring to you or anyone else specifically) of movies or video I just can't justify that as a " MUST HAVE " for my mobile device. There are other options available in this area like various paid/free music/video streaming services that seem more viable than using up my device space to haul around my movie collection.

Again.. Everyone's usage and habits/lifestyles may vary so that is WHY options are GOOD.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-07-2013 02:49 PM
    Yes Dropbox is a huge plus for pictures or Photobucket. I use both constantly for my personal needs and stuff I share in the forums either public or moderator related. Not to mention kudo's to Dropbox & Photobucket for making such good apps that integrate very well with Android.

Yeah I agree too.. There are people that love their music and well you should darn it! Music is awesome, and that is the hard part to balance with making storage work either built in or sdcard.

When it comes to argument (not referring to you or anyone else specifically) of movies or video I just can't justify that as a " MUST HAVE " for my mobile device. There are other options available in this area like various paid/free music/video streaming services that seem more viable than using up my device space to haul around my movie collection.

Again.. Everyone's usage and habits/lifestyles may vary so that is WHY options are GOOD.
    Yup agreed with Movies...I personally prefer to watch movies on my TV Screen via my PS3 or my PC...I don't think I would ever save movies on my phone, and if I do, only 1 or 2 at the most, then I'd probably delete them when I am finished
    06-07-2013 02:59 PM
    I have installed the update.
    Yes there is an option to move apps to sd card but only the apk not the data.
    For example, you have Asphalt 7 which is about 1.7Gb.
    If you choose the option "move to sd" only the apk will be transfered.
    the data will remain on internal memory.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    06-07-2013 03:40 PM
    Really? Wow thats pretty dumb
    I heard the camera was different...hows that??
    06-07-2013 03:48 PM
    When you moved Apks how much memory did you gain?
    06-07-2013 03:58 PM
203 ... 56789