Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not criticizing either (though I do think more carriers should have the 32GB option). Still though, here's the thing...

For those that do criticize that phone was released with too little storage, the point is that allowing apps to SD isn't necessarily the solution thy were looking for...the *real* solution to the problem would be to make higher capacity models more readily available for those that want/need them.

I think most would agree that allowing this functionality is a good thing for those with storage concerns, but only if it is implemented in a way that doesn't create more problems than the issues is attempting to address.

Higher capacity models isn't going to help people stuck in a 2 year contract with the 16g version.

I'm glad to see them doing this but I must admit, as a "lighter" user, I'm much more interested in the other goodies possibly coming with this update.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
This is great. For me it's not a big issue since i don't game on phone and with all my apps installed i still have 7.95 available space.
What i really like is that they're addressing this problem.
In reply to spookdroid.. I'm sure A LOT of devs are going to enable this :).. That's the power of being the most sold android. A little extra code could mean a little extra $$ for the dev's

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Its not really being criticised, as much as it is being questioned. There was a reason it was removed from the android features. It really did cause problems. If you ever had an sd card go corrupt, you know what I'm talking about. While it is great that Samsung is addressing their userbase's concerns and trying to amend them, it needs to be known that it could potentially cause more problems than it fixes.

At the risk of sounding like I'm defending a company that doesn't even know I exist, I don't understand the premise of "questioning" it either. It's there for those that don't have the 32GB option and need more memory outside of what they already do with the SD. The N4 comes in 8 & 16GB flavors and their users are just fine with using cloud storage, well that same option is available to the S4 as well. The fact of the matter is a memory constraint is no longer an excuse to not own a Galaxy S4 and that was the biggest con about the S4, and that's what Samsung wanted fixed.

Is there the possibility of some headache to come from this, probably, if it's exactly how it was back when the option was standard. But this is nothing but good news. Samsung could've said "Screw you, we already have your money, get stuck with what you have." But they're offering this, fixing the annoying smearing issues, and improving legibility for what I'm assuming to make the phone better to see in sunlight, and there's still some reaching going on to find complaints or some questions.

Maybe the people who don't actually have a Galaxy S4 are comfortable with scoffing at this news, but for someone who has one and uses it part time, this thing is heaven sent. The 32GB model isn't available everywhere and for the places it isn't this is the next best thing.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like I'm defending a company that doesn't even know I exist, I don't understand the premise of "questioning" it either. It's there for those that don't have the 32GB option and need more memory outside of what they already do with the SD. The N4 comes in 8 & 16GB flavors and their users are just fine with using cloud storage, well that same option is available to the S4 as well. The fact of the matter is a memory constraint is no longer an excuse to not own a Galaxy S4 and that was the biggest con about the S4, and that's what Samsung wanted fixed.

Is there the possibility of some headache to come from this, probably, if it's exactly how it was back when the option was standard. But this nothing but good news. Samsung could've said "Screw you, we already have your money, get stuck with what you have." But they're offering this, fixing the annoying smearing issues, and improving legibility for what I'm assuming to make the phone better to see in sunlight, and there's still some reaching going on to find complaints or questions.

Maybe the people who don't actually have a Galaxy S4 are comfortable with scoffing at this news, but for someone who has one and uses it part time, this thing is heaven sent.

I am not scoffing at anything. I think it is absolute great news that Samsung is giving their users this option, as I stated before. But everyone is always happy with new updates until it doesn't work out how its supposed to. That is all that I've mentioned.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I could have predicted that the HTC boys would be the first to dump on this positive move by Samsung. I'll bet if Samsung said they were releasing a 128 GB phone Some HTC supporters would be telling us how it was a bad idea and be careful about the consequences. :D

Edit: To those in this thread, I was not referring to posts by the moderators. Really!

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I am not scoffing at anything. I think it is absolute great news that Samsung is giving their users this option, as I stated before. But everyone is always happy with new updates until it doesn't work out how its supposed to. That is all that I've mentioned.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

True. But at least the option is there, which is something that was looking to be 0% possible 24 hours ago.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I could have predicted that the HTC boys would be the first to dump on this positive move by Samsung. I'll bet if Samsung said they were releasing a 128 GB phone Some HTC supporters would be telling us how it was a bad idea and be careful about the consequences. :D

Edit: To those in this thread, I was not referring to posts by the moderators. Really!

Nah, nobody is saying it's a bad move. I think the point is that it needs to be done right so that it doesn't cause more issues than it solves. Nothing worse than buying a phone for a particular set of features only to have one of those features make your phone not function properly. Not saying it's a guarantee, but it can happen. With any phone that has SD cards, not just Samsung (Sony had some serious issues also with screens going dead).

Sometimes I wish people would stop thinking that anyone is attacking anything. There are positives and negatives to everything. Geez

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What i really like is that they're addressing this problem
I think that's the big thing to take away from this as well. I think it would be a nice bonus if they made their SD card interface more robust at the same time to help accommodate this change, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Huh? You guys(htc fans) are saying it's going to create more problems than answers, and "nobody is saying it's a bad move." Guys how about waiting until update comes out, before complaining about Samsung. We don't know it's going to create major problems or not.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
How about not calling us "HTC fans" and realize that we are truly just interested in the outcome of this? There is nothing wrong with speculation. It not like we are telling you that Samsung sucks and nothing can revive this DOA phone (which we all know isnt true.) The s4 is a great phone and Samsung is doing a wonderful thing for its user base that will make the device an even greater one. Any manufacturer could stand to learn from that example. A word of caution does not equal bashing a phone

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
This is indeed good news for those with the 9GB model. Personally, I have no problem with not being able to move apps to sd because I opted for the 24GB model (yes, I know they are 16GB/32GB, respectively). The apps to sd issue is the same as if Microsoft had released Windows 8 available only preinstalled on a 160GB hard drive and you could not use a slave drive for additional apps, just your pics, music and videos. Android is decent, but it has its major flaws which include the destructively restrictive carriers.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Huh? You guys(htc fans) are saying it's going to create more problems than answers, and "nobody is saying it's a bad move." Guys how about waiting until update comes out, before complaining about Samsung. We don't know it's going to create major problems or not.

How about not calling us "HTC fans" and realize that we are truly just interested in the outcome of this? There is nothing wrong with speculation. It not like we are telling you that Samsung sucks and nothing can revive this DOA phone (which we all know isnt true.) The s4 is a great phone and Samsung is doing a wonderful thing for its user base that will make the device an even greater one. Any manufacturer could stand to learn from that example. A word of caution does not equal bashing a phone

I agree with Jennifer, i love htc devices but have had 2 Sammy devices (Gs3 & Gn2), both of which only had 16Gb which was sucky, but i will switch back to Sammy if indeed this update does go well. I'd love to be able to have more than 16(9Gb) available on a device. :thumbup: I use an Sd card on my Lte evo and would gladly switch over to a Gs4 to make full use of it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

You must be new here.

And I'd have to say since some people are having trouble saving on SD the regular way, they'll be some lost souls regardless of how it's implemented. But yeah, I'm interested to see if it's different.

If I happen to have time I might work up enough courage to flash this update when it's posted and tell everyone how it is.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
You are right, SD update from samsung may cause some problems. But saying it may potentially cause more problems than answers, sounds more like it's going to a bad thing. Who would want an update with more problems than answers?? This doesn't sound like a caution to me.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You are right, SD update from samsung may cause some problems. But saying it may potentially cause more problems than answers, sounds more like it's going to a bad thing. Who would want an update with more problems than answers?? This doesn't sound like a caution to me.

No one would want an update that causes more problems than solutions. Hence the hundreds of threads a week asking how to downgrade from updates that are causing them problems. This needs to quit being taken so personally. It is a device, not a family member. No one is insulting your phone or the manufacturer.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Really?? did I sound personally insulted? Well, i'm not insulted at all. I'm just annoyed.

I didn't mean you personally. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I mean in the forums as a whole. One users, s4 users, LGop, note 2, all of them. If you mention anything that could be perceived as negative, someone gets their feelings hurt, and often times it leads to a very derailed board.