Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I've already noticed some posts with SD cards problems, including random ejecting after trying several different SD cards. I mean this is a start so I'll give them credit for trying at least, but the saga between Samsung phones and sd card issues is a long and sordid tale. I'll stick with 32+ internal storage on my phones.

You make it sound as if this is a brain surgery. I'm not a software guy, in fact far from it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it couldn't be too far from using usb on a computer. I'm sure there are more things involved than this for the sd card to work flawlessly in a smartphone. But problems that are much more complicated and sophisticated than this have been solved.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
You make it sound as if this is a brain surgery. I'm not a software guy, in fact far from it. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it couldn't be too far from using usb on a computer. I'm sure there are more things involved than this for the sd card to work flawlessly in a smartphone. But problems that are much more complicated and sophisticated than this have been solved.

I never made it sound like anything, I was pointing out what others have written not what I had written.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So you stick to your "32GB+" phone and i'll stick to my 48GB+ phone

I think 48GB+ goes in quotes too, since it's actually around 38-40ish depending on card brand, formatting, etc. This leaves between approximately 79% and 83% for the end user.

To compare, Sense + pre-loading seems to take up around 5GB so their 32 is around 27. This leaves about 84% of the space to the user on the 32GB, on the 64GB they retain about 92% of the space.

Edited spelling issue.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So you don't feel confused
I used 16GB that comes on the S4 + 32GB SD card
Only reason i used 16GB and not 9GB is because you seem to think your HTC has 32GB of storage
All clear? ;)

Nice try. I think what you meant to say was "I thought I could get away with making it sound more in my favor but now that you caught me I'm back pedaling and trying to make it look like you're dense so I can save face"

Yep, quite clear, thanks.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Try pointing out things you've experienced... Not what you read somewhere

you mad? OK then I guess every single article I've read on AC was first reported and experienced here by the writers too. Seriously? Is that all you can resort to is petty bickering over really stupid things? Don't be ridiculous.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this is one of those threads now. Cya bye.

Nice job Sammy, this gesture goes a long way with some of your customers and I hope it's executed well and supported.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I really don't care LOL
it was a simple 16GB+ (phone) + 32GB Card compared to 32GB phone.

I think 48GB+ goes in quotes too, since it's actually around 38-40ish depending on card brand, formatting, etc. This leaves between approximately 79% and 83% for the end user.

To compare, Sense + pre-loading seems to take up around 5GB so their 32 is around 27. This leaves about 84% of the space to the user on the 32GB, on the 64GB they retain about 92% of the space.

Edited spelling issue.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Smooth4lyfe,

Nice!!! You updated it via Kies or do you live in Europe and got the update OTA?

Also, I see that the "Move to SD card" button is grayed out. So, not all apps can be moved to the sdcard?

Lol No its a screenshot I found on SamMobile....I don't have it yet

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this is one of those threads now. Cya bye.

Nice job Sammy, this gesture goes a long way with some of your customers and I hope it's executed well and supported.

I pointed out the exact same thing that Kevin did but since he's a moderator and I'm not, mister braveheart up above feels safer to attack me instead. Not my fault mate, sorry.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
you mad? OK then I guess every single article I've read on AC was first reported and experienced here by the writers too. Seriously? Is that all you can resort to is petty bickering over really stupid things? Don't be ridiculous.

Actually, the writers for the blog of AC make certain that what they are posting is not fictitious. That's why they very seldom, if ever, post rumors, but instead wait until it is verified. And we have a great team that goes hands in with all of the devices that they write about :thumbup:

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the writers for the blog of AC make certain that what they are posting is not fictitious. That's why they very seldom, if ever, post rumors, but instead wait until it is verified. And we have a great team that goes hands in with all of the devices that they write about :thumbup:

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

I know and agree, which is what I was pointing out.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think the most important line in this article (the AC one, here: International Samsung Galaxy S4 updated with apps-to-SD support, visual changes | Android Central) is, "(Update: We're also noticing significantly improved responsiveness and less animation lag in this new S4 firmware.)" That's HUGE!

I'd say so. For the highest clocked processor on the market there is no reason for it to perform like it is.

One thing that's been overlooked by the SD talk is the new camera firmware in the update. I wonder if it'll make the camera perform on even ground with the One in lowlight. That could be huge.

orion575

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
HTC has already rapidly released one update in direct response to customer feedback and are including almost every customer feedback requested in their soon to be released 4.2 update. HTC also officially supports unlocking their bootloaders now in direct response to community feedback. I'm not seeing what you're implying.

It seems it doesn't matter how many times these two moderators have pointed out that nobody is trashing it, they're simply being rational and reasonable about the pros and cons, you just want to be angry.

LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd say so. For the highest clocked processor on the market there is no reason for it to perform like it is.

One thing that's been overlooked by the SD talk is the new camera firmware in the update. I wonder if it'll make the camera perform on even ground with the One in lowlight. That could be huge.

I'm actually quite surprised and a little dismayed that a UI fix and camera improvement would be overshadowed by people for apps to sd . I'd rate those as more significant improvements

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Safer to attack you? LOL bro it's a forum only...who is Kevin? I jumped to the last page saw your post and replied...simple lol
I pointed out the exact same thing that Kevin did but since he's a moderator and I'm not, mister braveheart up above feels safer to attack me instead. Not my fault mate, sorry.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure most major app developers will take advantage of this App2SD, so I don't think people should worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure most apps have it in their code already

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital