Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I never made it sound like anything, I was pointing out what others have written not what I had written.

"Seriously? Is that all you can resort to is petty bickering over really stupid things? Don't be ridiculous."

I think you should listen to your own advice.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Got it Jennifer and Suda I'll move on this provides no value to anyone.

Agreed with smooth4lyfe most dev's probably have some code already.. and if not it shouldn't be to hard to generate. If there's enough demand for it they will do. And with the sales of the S4 im sure their will be

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Folks Android zapped apps 2sd due to stability and tech support costs. Carriers wanted it gone and Android team already warned it was going when ICS came out.

The function was removed from the framework and due to fragmentation, no uniform path definition for devs to write install scripts for it, unless they just do it for the S4, or set up like a file manager.

Seems Samsung will need to modify similar to how the current root apps place data on the external cards, but does not seem to be the case.

Not seeing how a feature that was having issues and pulled for a reason will have a good result on a device that will sell millions.

Also find it interesting there are so many people interested, which suggests demand for more storage us higher than expected.

Still, good they are trying and should be less than several months to see it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This update seriously has at least 3 awesome highlights for S4 owners and prospective buyers. Between this and the evidence that HTC is listening to their customers, + the Google Editions (relatively useless because you can flash your own, but we still need to support it so that they keep thinking down these lines)... this really seems like the first year where they have their ears in the community, rather than in surveys/product reviews. Of course people want more options and smoother interfaces, etc. Nail on the head.

Now, OEMs, lets talk about these freakin' buttons... ;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is nice to see, but given the sdcard problems in the past and present I would utilize this update but I wouldn't bank on its stability.

Google didn't get away from sdcard to be jerks or to "rewrite " the standard, it was done for many reasons one being stability/reliability issues.

Weaser999

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure most major app developers will take advantage of this App2SD, so I don't think people should worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure most apps have it in their code already

Yeah i'm glad The Bard's Tale can be installed on SD. I mean 2GB for one game. Not to mention how much cheaper a 64GB class 10 card would be compared to paying for an extra 16GB of memory. You can easily get 64GB MicroSDXC cards for under 60 bucks. Hell in probably a few months we'll be seeing 128MB MicroSD cards.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
What device do you have that has 32GB+ of storage? if your talking about the ONE.. you have maybe 25GB of available storage out of the box (unless you have the 64GB version?)
I been using an SD card on my phone for over a year and NEVER had an issue. Just like everything else you get what you pay for. 32GB SD card for $30.. is probably better then the one at $7.99 on ebay ;)

So you stick to your "32GB+" phone and i'll stick to my 48GB+ phone

Htc one x+, 64Gb of unpartioned storage. :thumbup::D

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
This is nice to see, but given the sdcard problems in the past and present I would utilize this update but I wouldn't bank on its stability.

Google didn't get away from sdcard to be jerks or to "rewrite " the standard, it was done for many reasons one being stability/reliability issues.

Didn't google get away from sd card because they wanted people to use cloud storage system instead?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Didn't google get away from sd card because they wanted people to use cloud storage system instead?

No, but that's probably part of the reason that they're not heavily pushing 64GB devices. There are a bunch of issues, including security, stability, data integrity, transfer speeds and IP issues with Microsoft.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central

Keep in mind that article was written when 4.2.2 didn't exist. Things moved further away from SD cards when it was released.

EDIT again: I'm sure there's more on this, but that's what came up on Google as the top result for me.

Wait a tic, those reasons are identical to those that I summarized! Jerry and I seem to have common sources.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
To add to that a bit further, those of you that follow Koush and actually read his posts will know that he had to buy a Nexus 10 specifically to get CWM to work with the multi-user functionality built-in to 4.2.2. Imagine the headache of having so many different possible targets for storage if you had to compensate for multiple users (while maintaining security) AND multiple SD card paths that apps can point to.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Plus the uSD card slot is probably a pain in the **** for the hardware designers, too. The mechanical guys have to find a way for you to access it and the PCB guys have to find room to put it.

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it..

"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.

-- Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google"

Basically, they are saying that since users were running out of space for apps and data, they decided to put every thing in one big block of storage that users can use for anything they like. How does that solve limited storage issue?? doesn't make sense to me.

I mean, i understand there are all kinds of side benefits, but I don't understand what Dan Morrill is trying to say??

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it..

"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.

-- Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google"

Basically, they are saying that since users were running out of space for apps and data, they decided to put every thing in one big block of storage that users can use for anything they like. How does that solve limited storage issue?? doesn't make sense to me.

If manufacturers would include adequate storage in their devices, and limited the bloat, they would have enough storage.

Also, I'm not sure you quite understood what he meant. He was saying that manufacturers were partitioning their devices and arbitrarily dictating how much space you had. By removing all support for external SD cards and reformatting how storage was allocated, they were able to give users access to ALL of the on device storage for their content.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What Google should have stated is Microsoft charges an arm and a leg for their patents.

If you are a small developer and you want to make an exchange client, Microsoft wants a 5 figure deposit for royalties upfront.