Samsung Update!! Moving apps to SD card now possible!!

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
True. As many have said, I think 32GB should be the minimum sizes right now and of course they will increase going forward. Maybe Samsung is hearing it since they are trying to help the 16GB models with this update. If they would start at 32GB, it would solve many issues. I would rather have all my apps on internal storage as opposed to APP to SD. Internal storage is so much faster and reliable in my opinion.

"I think 32GB should be the minimum sizes right now," as soon as you said that it became invalid. i think storage space is like money, one can't never have too many..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Didn't google get away from sd card because they wanted people to use cloud storage system instead?

That is only a small portion of the idea behind it. Sure Google would love to see everything on cloud storage but it's not a perfect solution either. Lots of different variables come into play on the sdcard issue. Filesystem types being a big part.

The post and link included in the post describes it best.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2841582

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else find it ironic that the Nexus 4 had sold millions with 16GB (12.5GB) and no SD card...just a different end user I guess. I can remember posting to threads in that forum with owners of the 8 GB model defending that as plenty of space...of course the prices helped I am sure.

I sure hope the Nexus 5 has 32GB!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
"I think 32GB should be the minimum sizes right now," as soon as you said that it became invalid. i think storage space is like money, one can't never have too many..

How much are you willing to pay for your phone then?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else find it ironic that the Nexus 4 had sold millions with 16GB (12.5GB) and no SD card...just a different end user I guess. I can remember posting to threads in that forum with owners of the 8 GB model defending that as plenty of space...

I sure hope the Nexus 5 has 32GB!

I think it sells more for the Google Experience (Fast Updates, Google Features) than the lack of SD Card

Hest88

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I really hope this comes to the U.S. version. I had two prior Android phones and never had a problem with my SD card.Google's arguments for removing App2SD were always specious in my mind. Anyone consumer who might not understand the ramifications of moving apps to their card probably won't bother seeking out a large SD card anyway. The rest of us appreciate having choices.

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm bummed that I was past my exchange time right when the 32GB came out for just 50 bucks more. I know this is different for everyone, but honestly for me app storage hasn't been a problem because I decided not to install any big 3D games onto my phone other than Real Racing (use the N7 for games). It seems like other than games apps are pretty small, and I use the SD card for media. I always look forward to OTA updates though for optimizations, and any bug fixes!

Plus I maybe wrong, but I think this feature wont help much for games anyways since it moves the app, and not the data the game downloaded which is what takes a gigabyte or more correct?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.

Doesn't upset me at all.

Because Android is open and allows for this level of customization.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Me? not much. i have other priorities, but i'll take as much as i can get(storage that is).

If you're not willing to pay much then don't complain about the amount of onboard storage you get. Higher amounts of storage cost more.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I really hope this comes to the U.S. version. I had two prior Android phones and never had a problem with my SD card.Google's arguments for removing App2SD were always specious in my mind. Anyone consumer who might not understand the ramifications of moving apps to their card probably won't bother seeking out a large SD card anyway. The rest of us appreciate having choices.

Their reasons weren't specious at all.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree, 2 partions that add up to 32Gb is a no go.. :thumbdown:

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

Well its not like you HAVE to use the SD Card option, but I don't see why they would completely remove it
I personally don't agree with Google's reasoning, and I don't think I can be convinced otherwise lol

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Though this makes no sense, a person has apparently already tested the new firmware and apparently you can only move the app core and NOT the data. This would mean the smallest fraction of the app can be moved to sd and the biggest part of the app stays internal. This would be pure stupid and mean that it would only help people that mainly use small apps with little to no data files. Those people would not have trouble with 9GB in the first place.

Epic fail is a burned out term, but if this is correct, this is an epic fail for the app storage issue and back to square one- root if you want to truly displace apps from internal. Again, this makes no practical sense, so hopefully the poster got it wrong. The only other reason could be the framework changes made to Android made this Samsung's only option (doubtful, since the app core would be the protected part). Point would still be it is near pointless.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Though this makes no sense, a person has apparently already tested the new firmware and apparently you can only move the app core and NOT the data. This would mean the smallest fraction of the app can be moved to sd and the biggest part of the app stays internal. This would be pure stupid and mean that it would only help people that mainly use small apps with little to no data files. Those people would not have trouble with 9GB in the first place.

Epic fail is a burned out term, but if this is correct, this is an epic fail for the app storage issue and back to square one- root if you want to truly displace apps from internal. Again, this makes no practical sense, so hopefully the poster got it wrong. The only other reason could be the framework changes made to Android made this Samsung's only option (doubtful, since the app core would be the protected part). Point would still be it is near pointless.

Could you supply the source of this information?