08-31-2013 09:38 AM
203 123 ...
tools
    Looks like we have to wait for the udpate to be pushed out, but once it is, we will be able to move our apps to the SD card again. At least Samsung made good on their promise to help with the storage problem!!! 16GB should now not be a problem!!

Samsung Galaxy S4 update addresses storage complaints with move to SD card feature | The Verge
    06-06-2013 07:38 AM
    Nice find. What are the chances that VZW will decline to allow this feature of the update?
    Robnrbrtsn likes this.
    06-06-2013 08:26 AM
    If that is true then i will be getting the Sgs4 instead of the One. :thumbup:

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    cctpitts01 likes this.
    06-06-2013 08:33 AM
    This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.
    06-06-2013 08:43 AM
    Glad to hear this. Samsung has made my daughter proud....kinda.
    SenseMonkey likes this.
    06-06-2013 08:46 AM
    The reason Google got rid of it was stability and customers complaining apps did not work, either by using cheap cards, or swapping a card out. The carriers pushed for the change and Android happily obliged (per their own forum, they were going to anyway).

For most people, this change will be fine, but for others it is still a net loss of 15gb of storage, compared to a 32gb model.

Per Verizon's own tech support, apps 2sd issues were a big part of their customer support traffic.
    neilsafc, TomsAndroid and Topgonzo like this.
    06-06-2013 08:48 AM
    Nice find. What are the chances that VZW will decline to allow this feature of the update?
    It'll come to Verizon a week after the S5 comes out.
    06-06-2013 08:50 AM
    Per Verizon's own tech support, apps 2sd issues were a big part of their customer support traffic.
    That doesn't surprise me. I found the Android implementation of the SD card iffy at best when it supported it natively. Now that the OEM's have to make their own drivers it hasn't seemed to get much better.

I'll live with my SD card for now but I won't trust it with apps. I'm hoping that in 2 years it will be easy enough to get a phone with 64GB of storage so this won't be an issue anymore.
    heraldo likes this.
    06-06-2013 08:52 AM
    For Verizon, if the same VP that assured a 32gb model was coming is driving this update, good luck on an expedient release

My guess is never for a 32gb and at least two months for apps 2 sd in an update.
    06-06-2013 08:58 AM
    Tough to say, though you know they'll want to test it extensively before rolling it out. Even if they do approve it, I wouldn't expect this to come to Verizon models any time soon.

The reason Google got rid of it was stability and customers complaining apps did not work, either by using cheap cards, or swapping a card out. The carriers pushed for the change and Android happily obliged (per their own forum, they were going to anyway).

For most people, this change will be fine, but for others it is still a net loss of 15gb of storage, compared to a 32gb model.

That doesn't surprise me. I found the Android implementation of the SD card iffy at best when it supported it natively. Now that the OEM's have to make their own drivers it hasn't seemed to get much better.

I'll live with my SD card for now but I won't trust it with apps. I'm hoping that in 2 years it will be easy enough to get a phone with 64GB of storage so this won't be an issue anymore.
    The problem is that many "average" users don't understand the inherent drawbacks to installing *permanent* apps onto *removable* storage. SD cards get removed, unmounted, and sometimes simply fail. It's hard for devs to code for storage locations that may or may not be there (I didn't say impossible). Folks often don't understand why suddenly certain apps and or widget won't run when swap card or mounted their SDCard to the their computer.

Granted, now that Android uses MTP for USB to computer connections, some of those issues may be eliminated, since folks won't lose SDCard access when their device is mounted as removable storage, but it does still present some issues.

I mean, if you're rooted, it's actually quite easy to move apps to SD yourself if you understand how to link the directories (for example, I have Google Music save all my pinned songs to SD) -- but I totally understand why Google/Android wanted to move away from that feature. None the less, it does seem that even with 16GB of storage (or 9GB of *usable* storage), that the need to move apps to higher-capacity removable storage still exists...it would probably just work better if the majority of folks clamoring for it actually understood *why* it may cause issues, and how to mitigate the potential issues themselves. Not necessarily referring to folks here reading this forum, but more the 99% of other folks that don't have as much of a technical interest.
    06-06-2013 09:15 AM
    This is really going to upset those who argue that an SD card is useless. It's good to see that Samsung is actively addressing the needs of their customers.

Tohio it doesn't upset me at all. I'm glad there are still people that understand the inherent drawbacks of SD cards being used for app storage.

I guess it's good that they're doing this, but I bet the first day it's rolled out to a large amount of users we'll have threads pop up about apps not working right.

Not trying to be negative, but scan the topics of these forums real quick and note the people having problems with the SD card.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    bp3dots likes this.
    06-06-2013 09:23 AM
    Release phone with too little storage, get criticized. Rectify said problem with feature that's been absent from Android, get criticized.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    06-06-2013 09:27 AM
    Nice move Sammy. now you wanna call the folks across the street at LG and tell them to do the same

From my LG Optimus G E970
    06-06-2013 09:34 AM
    Its not really being criticised, as much as it is being questioned. There was a reason it was removed from the android features. It really did cause problems. If you ever had an sd card go corrupt, you know what I'm talking about. While it is great that Samsung is addressing their userbase's concerns and trying to amend them, it needs to be known that it could potentially cause more problems than it fixes.
    Habiib likes this.
    06-06-2013 09:37 AM
    Umm... you really need to read this through, guys... Yes, there's an update available that brings back the App-2-SD capability BUT it has to be enabled by the app dev, so this won't mean that you'll be able to move just any app. Anyone wanna bet how many devs will take the trouble of coding this in? Considering the 'vast amount' (sarcasm) that implemented secondary downloads (i.e. game data) to SD, which is possible with the current implementation, I'd say not many...

International Samsung Galaxy S4 updated with apps-to-SD support, visual changes | Android Central
    BigDinCA and Habiib like this.
    06-06-2013 09:46 AM
    Release phone with too little storage, get criticized. Rectify said problem with feature that's been absent from Android, get criticized.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    I'm not criticizing either (though I do think more carriers should have the 32GB option). Still though, here's the thing...

For those that do criticize that phone was released with too little storage, the point is that allowing apps to SD isn't necessarily the solution thy were looking for...the *real* solution to the problem would be to make higher capacity models more readily available for those that want/need them.

I think most would agree that allowing this functionality is a good thing for those with storage concerns, but only if it is implemented in a way that doesn't create more problems than the issues is attempting to address.
    skiner5246 and irishleo like this.
    06-06-2013 09:46 AM
    That summation is a tad simplistic and not mutually inclusive as far as darned either way.

The storage issue would be mitigated out of the gate if Samsung did not want to expedite the launch and minimize production of 32gb models. Samsung created the supply constraint due to their mass roll out rather than regional as last year.

Apps 2sd is an unstable feature for obvious reasons to a lot of people in these forums. Android killed it and now an OEM is bringing it back due to their own decisions for the 16 model free storage and the constrained supply of 32 models.

Samsung is hardly a victim here.
    06-06-2013 09:50 AM
    If we are on att can we root and get this update early

sent from my galaxy s4
    06-06-2013 09:51 AM
    If you root you can install the App2SD hack and not have to wait for the update at all...
    westpatsfan likes this.
    06-06-2013 09:54 AM
    Main reason why I stick with them! They give me a device that allows me to do whatever the hell I want with it! Screw your walled gardens and aluminum cases!!
    tohio likes this.
    06-06-2013 10:03 AM
    I'm not criticizing either (though I do think more carriers should have the 32GB option). Still though, here's the thing...

For those that do criticize that phone was released with too little storage, the point is that allowing apps to SD isn't necessarily the solution thy were looking for...the *real* solution to the problem would be to make higher capacity models more readily available for those that want/need them.

I think most would agree that allowing this functionality is a good thing for those with storage concerns, but only if it is implemented in a way that doesn't create more problems than the issues is attempting to address.
    Higher capacity models isn't going to help people stuck in a 2 year contract with the 16g version.

I'm glad to see them doing this but I must admit, as a "lighter" user, I'm much more interested in the other goodies possibly coming with this update.
    06-06-2013 10:04 AM
    This is great. For me it's not a big issue since i don't game on phone and with all my apps installed i still have 7.95 available space.
    What i really like is that they're addressing this problem.
    In reply to spookdroid.. I'm sure A LOT of devs are going to enable this .. That's the power of being the most sold android. A little extra code could mean a little extra $$ for the dev's
    tohio likes this.
    06-06-2013 10:23 AM
    Its not really being criticised, as much as it is being questioned. There was a reason it was removed from the android features. It really did cause problems. If you ever had an sd card go corrupt, you know what I'm talking about. While it is great that Samsung is addressing their userbase's concerns and trying to amend them, it needs to be known that it could potentially cause more problems than it fixes.
    At the risk of sounding like I'm defending a company that doesn't even know I exist, I don't understand the premise of "questioning" it either. It's there for those that don't have the 32GB option and need more memory outside of what they already do with the SD. The N4 comes in 8 & 16GB flavors and their users are just fine with using cloud storage, well that same option is available to the S4 as well. The fact of the matter is a memory constraint is no longer an excuse to not own a Galaxy S4 and that was the biggest con about the S4, and that's what Samsung wanted fixed.

Is there the possibility of some headache to come from this, probably, if it's exactly how it was back when the option was standard. But this is nothing but good news. Samsung could've said "Screw you, we already have your money, get stuck with what you have." But they're offering this, fixing the annoying smearing issues, and improving legibility for what I'm assuming to make the phone better to see in sunlight, and there's still some reaching going on to find complaints or some questions.

Maybe the people who don't actually have a Galaxy S4 are comfortable with scoffing at this news, but for someone who has one and uses it part time, this thing is heaven sent. The 32GB model isn't available everywhere and for the places it isn't this is the next best thing.
    06-06-2013 10:23 AM
    At the risk of sounding like I'm defending a company that doesn't even know I exist, I don't understand the premise of "questioning" it either. It's there for those that don't have the 32GB option and need more memory outside of what they already do with the SD. The N4 comes in 8 & 16GB flavors and their users are just fine with using cloud storage, well that same option is available to the S4 as well. The fact of the matter is a memory constraint is no longer an excuse to not own a Galaxy S4 and that was the biggest con about the S4, and that's what Samsung wanted fixed.

Is there the possibility of some headache to come from this, probably, if it's exactly how it was back when the option was standard. But this nothing but good news. Samsung could've said "Screw you, we already have your money, get stuck with what you have." But they're offering this, fixing the annoying smearing issues, and improving legibility for what I'm assuming to make the phone better to see in sunlight, and there's still some reaching going on to find complaints or questions.

Maybe the people who don't actually have a Galaxy S4 are comfortable with scoffing at this news, but for someone who has one and uses it part time, this thing is heaven sent.
    I am not scoffing at anything. I think it is absolute great news that Samsung is giving their users this option, as I stated before. But everyone is always happy with new updates until it doesn't work out how its supposed to. That is all that I've mentioned.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    06-06-2013 10:26 AM
    I could have predicted that the HTC boys would be the first to dump on this positive move by Samsung. I'll bet if Samsung said they were releasing a 128 GB phone Some HTC supporters would be telling us how it was a bad idea and be careful about the consequences.

Edit: To those in this thread, I was not referring to posts by the moderators. Really!
    orion575 likes this.
    06-06-2013 10:27 AM
203 123 ...