Galaxy S4 with no voicemail notifications

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Can I do this with my current cell number or do I have to give people a new number?

Works fine with your current cell number. People call my regular cell number and are taken to the Google Voicemail if I don't answer. It works exactly the same way as the iPhone visual voicemail once you set it up correctly (more difficult on Verizon but not rocket science)

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Works fine with your current cell number. People call my regular cell number and are taken to the Google Voicemail if I don't answer.

As a long time Google Voice user I?d like to qualify that just a bit. The above is using GV *just* for visual voice mail. Basically point call fwd if busy, call fwd no answer and call fwd unreachable (phone off or no service) to the GV number. Then set GV itself to not forward the call anywhere else. GV will then take the message instead of the carrier VM. Used like that then only you and your phone knows GV is involved--people still call your cell number.

GV can also serve as a "one number" service where it forwards the call to whereever you want--cell, home, office etc. Used for that purpose then GV needs to be the FIRST number called, ie NOT your cell phone. That's when you either have to give out your GV number instead of your cell number OR port your cell number to GV and get a new number for your cell that you don't give out. Sprint users don't have to manually do that-- Sprint officially supports GV and will do that automatically if you choose the "use your cell number" option. Us AT&T users don't have that luxury :-D

anon6111202

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
BRAVO! This fix worked for my Galaxy s3 too!
I spent an hour with Verizon tech where they wanted to upgrade my software causing who knows what to my well functioning phone

I simply needed the voicemail icon on my notification bar.
Follow fix above or to reiterate:
Go into your voicemail, select personal setting option (number 4),
Now be sure you choose to turn "message waiting indicator ON "which means clicking number 1 until the automatic voice prompt confirms that your setting is ON -not OFF

Call your cell phone, leave a message. About 3 seconds later the icon notification appears on your phone.
Voila! a voicemail indicator appeared! I've been without it for a few years now.

To make it go away:
Swipe down to show your notifications list; click on the voicemail notifier, it then automatically dials your voicemail; Listen to your voice mail and delete or save the message on your voice mail.
It is gone. Ready for the next message.
Thank you android central for your great community!!

Important note: in the Verizon voicemail app, via settings-applications manager-ALL-voicemail,the 'show notifications' box is stilled greyed out..... Now not a problem:)

Molly McEvoy

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I just ran into the same issue and called Verizon support. They had me call my voicemail and choose 4 for "personal options". I got a prompt asking if I'd like to turn voicemail notifications on. Once turned on, I now see a number in the top right corner of my voicemail app corresponding to the # of new messages waiting in my inbox. Hope this works for you.

mmagin35

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I too have been missing the voicemail icon on my Galaxy S4 for quite some time. Been missing VM and it's been a real pain. Don't know how it disappeared but after following your advice, it is BACK! Thanks!!!:D