Charger weirdness (using a Note 2 charger)

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I plug my charger that came with my phone (a VZW S4) into my phone and run the Galaxy Charging Current app (from the Play store).

It shows 1900 every time. I have unplugged it and plugged it back in numerous times and clicked Refresh and it always shows 1900.

Last night, I tried plugging my g/f's charger for her Note 2 into my phone. The first time, my phone said it was charging, but GCC showed 460. I unplugged and replugged a few times and each time after that it showed anywhere from 1600 - 1700, but it never showed 1900. I switched back and forth between hers and mine several times, plugging them both into the same wall outlet. Mine still showed 1900 every time.

I thought maybe it was a different charger that just looks the same, but the part numbers on them are identical. ETA-U90JWS

Each charger was connected via the cable that came with it. I guess I should have tried swapping cables, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Any idea what's up with that? Shouldn't the charger from a Note 2 work just the same as the charger that came with my S4?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the charger from my old Note 2 and the S4 one, all work fine. It could be the USB cable (I did notice the S4's is longer, which is appreciated) or your GF's charger is just defective/older. Both chargers are able to output 2A, so it should work just fine. Just for comparison's sake, I also use a Sony Cybershot USB Charger that also outputs 2A via USB and it works perfectly with the S4...