display quality issues

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have fixed my other issues however if you look at a white or light gray background it kinda looks like darker lines going straight down on the screen. Is this just the way pentile screens look or is my display messed up. Now its not something that sticks out at first glance but it almost looks like a shadow of lines (not real noticeable to most people). this is my first amoled screen outside my old gs3 but I dont remember it having this problem. Unless I just didnt notice.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You probably saw many more glitches on the Gawd Awful GS3 screen... (Sorry, but all those dotted pixels when showing white or light colors really made me think that screen was crap). That being said, I think you may have a defective unit. Mine doesn't show what you're describing and it certainly isn't how Pentile would look like at this pixel density level.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The S4 still has a bit of 'grain' to the image (because it's still PenTile), but no where near as bad as the S3 was. If your seeing something different, its probably a defect. Get it swapped where you bought it for another new one.

I will say though, I had a Droid DNA and I could see light diagonal lines when looking at the display close up, and it was only really noticeable on light colors. Nobody on the forums seemed to notice it, but I observed it on 4 different DNA's. I think the lines I saw had something to do with how the digitizer was made. You very well could be seeing that.

If you replace your S4 and still see it, my bet would be on seeing the digitizer. Either way, post back with the outcome.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So whats the digitizer? Yes im seeing diagonal lines but theyre really hard to see and even harder to see if u turn on full brightnss. I really dont want to return it again cause this is my 3rd phone already (2 htc ones and now this).. they may tell me no since its so hard to see

anymoose

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine had yellow jagged lines in random configurations and yellowy shadows no matter what was on the screen - it was more obvious with light backgrounds. It was definitely defective and the seller swapped it out for another with no problem.

srt05wv

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Mines nothing like that. Its barely even there but bugs me cause I know its there. Ill look at my dads gs3 later and see If his is the same. Mine just had 2 lines maybe a slight shade darker going straight down but not near as noticeable on full brightness.

ill probably just keep it cause they will look at me like an ***** because I doubt they will see it.

orion575

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have fixed my other issues however if you look at a white or light gray background it kinda looks like darker lines going straight down on the screen. Is this just the way pentile screens look or is my display messed up. Now its not something that sticks out at first glance but it almost looks like a shadow of lines (not real noticeable to most people). this is my first amoled screen outside my old gs3 but I dont remember it having this problem. Unless I just didnt notice.

I got the same thing on screen of my AT&T S4, but it doesn't bother me cause I can barely see it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Mines nothing like that. Its barely even there but bugs me cause I know its there. Ill look at my dads gs3 later and see If his is the same. Mine just had 2 lines maybe a slight shade darker going straight down but not near as noticeable on full brightness.

ill probably just keep it cause they will look at me like an ***** because I doubt they will see it.

I can't see what you are seeing but..

I know I am the type of person that if there is something in the back of my head driving me nuts about a device I have, I would return it too.

For your mental health maybe take it back and swap it out for another one. Or ask at your carrier if they have one you can handle to see if that problem exists in the demo too. Maybe it is defective.