My 4G Speedtest Travel Diary [Ongoing]

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I am in a different city/state nearly every day, so I figured that I would create a thread that would help others see what the random Verizon Wireless 4G speeds are in various areas of the country. I will be using the same Galaxy S4 for all tests. I will update the thread periodically with new screenshots with the date and location of each test.

Greeley, CO. 05/30/13 @ 5:47 PM
Screenshot_2013-05-30-17-47-03.png

Atlanta, GA 06/02/13 @ 2:52 PM
Screenshot_2013-06-02-14-52-52.png

Last edited:

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Forrest City, AR 06/07/13 @ 10:57 AM
Screenshot_2013-06-07-10-57-46.png

Memphis, TN 06/07/13 @ 3:09 PM
Screenshot_2013-06-07-15-10-00.png

Nashville, TN 06/07/13 @ 6:19 PM
Screenshot_2013-06-07-18-20-00.png

I'm not sure what's up with the upload speeds today, but they are much slower than usual.

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Winchester, VA 06/08/13
Screenshot_2013-06-08-17-15-21.png

I am finding that choosing the right server makes a huge difference, and the closest one isn't always the fastest. For instance, there is one in Winchester which is where I was when I ran the test above, but I could only get 7.64 down/ 1.92 up. When I switched to the server in Manassas which was 54 miles away, it was able to get the results above.

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
impressive

Agreed. Some of those results are faster than my cable internet, lol. I am very pleased with VZW's LTE speed and coverage so far. I've been with them for a long time, but this is my first 4G device.

Sent from my VZW GS4 via the Android Central Forums app

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Some of those results are faster than my cable internet, lol. I am very pleased with VZW's LTE speed and coverage so far. I've been with them for a long time, but this is my first 4G device.

Same here on all points.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Damn, Verizon's 4G is impressive! I'm in the Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area of Dutchess county NY, which isn't exactly a rural area, but it's not a big city area like NYC or Albany either. Poughkeepsie is only a few miles away from Newburgh, right across the Hudson river, which I see you were in. I'm getting quite a bit of 4G in this area, none at my house though, which is fine since I have cable internet and WiFi at home. I've just been pleasantly surprised since getting my GS4, my first 4G device, two weeks ago. 4G is everywhere in my area and it's fast, even with a weak 4G signal.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You should consider creating a custom map using Google Maps and adding the test speeds and information using the Google Maps app while you're mobile. Not only would it be an efficient way for us to look through the information, but pretty soon this list of screenshots is going to take a while to load. :)

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You should consider creating a custom map using Google Maps and adding the test speeds and information using the Google Maps app while you're mobile. Not only would it be an efficient way for us to look through the information, but pretty soon this list of screenshots is going to take a while to load. :)

Well, I have looked all over Google Maps and can't figure out how to create a custom map. I've looked through the app as well as the browser versions (both WAP and desktop modes). I don't have access to a laptop or desktop as I am rarely home. If it requires turning on location reporting and sharing I really don't want to do that because it will be constantly using a ton of unnecessary resources.

As a moderator, would you prefer that I start posting thumbnails instead of full-sized screenshots? That would be more of a strain on your server, but wouldn't flood the pages with large screenshots. That wouldn't be as easy for the members to browse through though.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have looked all over Google Maps and can't figure out how to create a custom map. I've looked through the app as well as the browser versions (both WAP and desktop modes). I don't have access to a laptop or desktop as I am rarely home. If it requires turning on location reporting and sharing I really don't want to do that because it will be constantly using a ton of unnecessary resources.

As a moderator, would you prefer that I start posting thumbnails instead of full-sized screenshots? That would be more of a strain on your server, but wouldn't flood the pages with large screenshots. That wouldn't be as easy for the members to browse through though.

Oh haha no worries, what I said was just an idea; you don't need to change it. :) Sorry, probably should have clarified that.. and don't worry about the MN server load. ;)

Last edited:

Michael Sparr

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
After looking at all your results if I told you I was consistent my getting 6 Mbps down and 3 up would you think it was a bad area or the phone?

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
After looking at all your results if I told you I was consistent my getting 6 Mbps down and 3 up would you think it was a bad area or the phone?

I doubt it is the phone. I have been in many areas that have 5 bars of 4G and can only get single digit speeds like you are getting. It is most likely either the area you are in, the server choice in the Speed Test app or a combination of both.