06-11-2013 04:35 PM
163 12345 ...
tools
    The only thing i consider in the current "units sold" argument.

Samsung has pockets full of money so they can make a load of phones to meet the immediate needs of their customers. If they dont sell a many as they anticipate its not as damaging to them.

Htc on the other hand has to keep it tight seeing as money is much more of an issue currently. For them they have to make enough to just stay in front of the game. I'll be interesting to see how the supply meets the demand when Verizon launches The One given the size of Verizon. First will there be a big demand. Second can htc supply fast enough so there are no major order delays?
    Good points. But you sort of made the argument for being cautious about buying a phone from a company that is in financial difficulty and has production problems. Is a company with those problems going to be able to provide frequent updates and customer support like a company that has "pockets full of money?"
    06-08-2013 10:31 AM
    It is all anecdotal based on channel fill data and whatever sell through data to real customers the analysts can get from data mining. Are they exact, heck No. Are they close enough for actual performance direction, a subjective Yes. These people make their money being at least credible. No credibility, no revenue for their "expertise".

It seems obvious the 80,000,000 was an overreach and stuffing 10,000,000 into channels so soon was as well. There is plenty of inventory out there, based on input from Best Buy, Verizon corporate reps and the rate of sales estimates. Those estimates would have to be incompetently off to not indicate the direction of sales is not adhering to the expected sales curve telemetry expected.

All a bunch of goop to me, since just hoping the apparent sales issues result in a shiny Verizon 32g S4 Me thinks though Samsung's near worthless apps 2 sd "fix" will give all carriers a sense of ignorant bliss and perhaps not ever stock anything but the 16gb. Heck, AT&T might just stop selling the 32gb themselves
    06-08-2013 10:34 AM
    Good points. But you sort of made the argument for being cautious about buying a phone from a company that is in financial difficulty and has production problems. Is a company with those problems going to be able to provide frequent updates and customer support like a company that has "pockets full of money?"
    Yes i agree. I think this is an area where Samsung excels. There a huge company riding great success on a large scale of products. I mean look at Samsung tv's for example They look great and next to Sony would be one of my top pics. My intent was praise seeing as their doing so well.

I dont worry about htc personally. I think they need to be aggressive. If they dont put out timely updates and continued support for their devices than the future looks a bit bleak. They're betting the farm on the Htc One so they need to do all they can to support it. Will they? I cant answer that but i put my vote in with my purchase of The One
    tohio likes this.
    06-08-2013 10:57 AM
    Samsung is also copying Apple's iPhone sales decline sigh.....
    06-08-2013 11:00 AM
    I heard that if information is on the internet it has to be true...

tohio, Aquila and swarlos like this.
    06-08-2013 11:16 AM
    i did my best but i really couldnt find any official quotes... just that all recent articles whether techincal or business dont seem to mind using the 5 million number. we probably wont know until next earnings call and maybe we wont hear first month numbers at all and they give total quarter numbers... again it probably wasnt as great as it could with the parts shortage/delay.

This article may give a little insight whether htc has been successful with their one and how it may be a little part people revising sammys forecast by 30%.

HTC reports highest sales in 11 months - Taipei Times

Please find a source besides the original anonymous source that all the 5 million sales claims come from. So far all the claims stem back to the original claim which htc refused to confirm.

Posted via Android Central App
    madlaw1071 and tohio like this.
    06-08-2013 11:35 AM
    Perhaps the original sales estimates did not take in to account all of the S4 variants like the S4 mini, S4 active, S4 Zoom, S4 Google Edition. Hard to imagine these other variants not affecting the OG S4 sales even if only announced and not out yet. Or maybe the estimates did include them to be added to the S4 franchise as one big number? In any event they are selling a bunch of S4's. Not sure why the comparison to the HTC One comes up. Just about anyone who follows this business knew the S4 would easily outsell the HTC One. Maybe they are both over performing or underperforming who really knows.

In one regard to comments made. I had my Seidio Surface combo in hand when my S4 arrived at my door. That is the result of buying a top seller. I can remember having to wait a few weeks with my SII to get the case I wanted. Samsung has done a lot to get android in the door with accessories and not just every i device.
    06-08-2013 11:52 AM
    Samsung is also copying Apple's iPhone sales decline sigh.....
    When has iPhone sales declined? IPhone profit growth is what has declined.
    06-08-2013 12:39 PM
    06-08-2013 12:49 PM
    I can't believe we circled back around to arguing about "fake" sales numbers.

I am disappoint.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-2013 01:49 PM

I am disappoint.

Agreed, the consummate **** waggling over whose multi national sales conglomerate is doing better based on 0 factual sales data seems as pointless and stupid as picking a multi national sales conglomerate as a favorite in the first place. And what does it really matter? For the purpose of owning a phone or xhosing a phone...assigning a valuation to the company you bought it from makes sense only in the respect that maybe you should be concerned if that company was going to be around to support your device in the next two years your locked to it...but despite the financial challenges HTC has faces lately...there's no possibility that they're going anywhere for the lifespan of the device...and its downright laughable to consider that either Samsung or Apple are going anywhere...so yeah....kinda
    ..dumb

06-08-2013 04:52 PM
    Roflmao an anonymous htc exec over someone who works for a major Wall Street investment firm? Oooookkk
    Yes. One has inside knowledge of sales. Another is guessing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-2013 05:59 PM
    Uh htc debunked its own number and ran away from 5 million the same day that rumor came out.
    They didn't, actually.

06-08-2013 05:59 PM
    Please find a source besides the original anonymous source that all the 5 million sales claims come from. So far all the claims stem back to the original claim which htc refused to confirm.

Refusing to confirm is a very different thing than denying that they're accurate. HTC is being very careful about managing expectations, for the reason Samsung is now experiencing.

06-08-2013 06:01 PM

I am disappoint.

Usual suspects, doing their usual thing.

06-08-2013 06:02 PM
    Well considering people are still under contract for the galaxy s III, the 4 wouldn't do as well as they want.

Note the galaxy s 5 on the other hand...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-2013 06:06 PM
    Well considering people are still under contract for the galaxy s III, the 4 wouldn't do as well as they want.

Note the galaxy s 5 on the other hand...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    But shouldn't that be made up for by sales from people switching from the GS2 and the iPhone?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    06-08-2013 06:37 PM
    My cousin works for HTC here in America and he doesn't even know how much they sold. But he has heard rumors .......

06-08-2013 06:39 PM
    What is it with media these days? I mean WSJ, THE WSJ reports bogus 5 mi figure. And now some media reports "S4 Sales Lower Than Expected." Yikes, even tabloids have better standards!
    06-08-2013 07:27 PM
    How is it bogus? Most of the data is paid for and provided by companies that specialize in channels, customers and marketshare data of products. My own company uses the services and pay a bunch of money each year, but still cheaper than having in house staff do it.

Why would WSJ lie about this when they have paid staff that does the data mining for them? Makes sense considering WSJ core competencies. They are not Wall Street Jesters

The data is not free, nor is the analysis and fancy Power Point and flat file csv data they give you. Not everything can be Googled or provided forthright from the companies being assessed.
    06-08-2013 07:37 PM
    R u saying 5mi is not bogus? I said this on another thread, but i'll say it again. HTC themselves reported this year's May revenue, and the revenue was ~3% lower than last year's May revenue. Correct me if i'm wrong, HTC had very bad 2012. So then, this year's revenue is actually worse than last year's revenue, how could they have sold 5 mi. If they had sold anywhere close to 5mi HTC ones, they should've had a banner month.
    06-08-2013 07:43 PM
    R u saying 5mi is not bogus? I said this on another thread, but i'll say it again. HTC themselves reported this year's May revenue, and the revenue was ~3% lower than last year's May revenue. Correct me if i'm wrong, HTC had very bad 2012. So then, this year's revenue is actually worse than last year's revenue, how could they have sold 5 mi. If they had sold anywhere close to 5mi HTC ones, they should've had a banner month.
    You're describing a difference of $29 million year over year. At $600 per phone, that's a difference of about 48,000 phones. How many did they sell last May?
    06-08-2013 07:54 PM
    I don't know how many HTC sold last May. But it's quite obvious (to me anyways) that if HTC had sold their flagship smarphones like S3-like numbers (which was about 5mi per month), they would be standing toe to toe with samsung and apple right now. In fact, last year HTC shipped about 32.7mi smartphones total(all combined smartphones last year) compared to ~40mi S3s.
    06-08-2013 08:03 PM
    One more thing, ~40mi S3 is span of 8 months(May`12~Dec`12), HTC ~32.7mi is span of 12 months.
    06-08-2013 08:15 PM
    One more thing, ~40mi S3 is span of 8 months(May`12~Dec`12), HTC ~32.7mi is span of 12 months.
    Okay, so if we pretended seasonality wasn't a thing and all months were average (we know flagships are much higher than that, but for example), the worst case scenario last year was 2.725 million devices per month. So if April and May were average, HTC should have sold around 5.45 million. We think we know from the revenue numbers that it might be 3% less, or 5.28 million (in two months). Guessing 4-5 million isn't unreasonable, given that the peak months for phone sales are going to be when flagships are released, in this case Q2 for Samsung and HTC.
    ffejjj likes this.
    06-08-2013 08:23 PM
163 12345 ...