S4 Sales Lower Than Expected

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
S4 is selling less than expected per WSJ

As suggested, the 80 million number from Samsung seemed aggressive and pushing 10 million devices into channels so quickly can create more than expected inventory. This is a contrast to the S3 that sold out for a few weeks in some channels and the 32GB also was hard to get (they pushed less devices into global channels at once and offered more 32GB allocations). Considering Samsung's fix for moving apps (data will apparently stay in internal storage) will not help too much, maybe the sales issue will increase efforts to offer more size models (by working with carriers and retailers)? You never know. Well, a chance at least...

The promotion of other S4 variants like the "Active" so close to launch period probably did not help either.

This will probably also impact Verizon sales projections, so they will be "forced" to offer the 32GB Yeah right :( Still again a chance though! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That's a blessing and a curse. The reason s4 sales is down besides more competition from HTC this year is the fact that the s3 and note 2 was and or is so good some people didn't find the need to upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I did not see this and posted a thread as well. Doh!

I am hoping this spurs more desire to push 32gb versions. Futile, perhaps.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ha Ha, poor Samsung, looks like they are losing market share to themselves:

"Samsung has been shifting its focus to cheaper smartphones as it compete with Chinese manufacturers. However, analysts said that such moves would put pressure on profit margins and slow growth momentum for its high-end models including the Galaxy S4. "Sales of high-end handsets are lagging behind expectations, while low-to mid-end handsets are selling briskly worldwide," said Kim Young-chan from Shinhan Investment Corp."

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

"Samsung has been shifting its focus to cheaper smartphones as it compete with Chinese manufacturers. However, analysts said that such moves would put pressure on profit margins and slow growth momentum for its high-end models including the Galaxy S4. "Sales of high-end handsets are lagging behind expectations, while low-to mid-end handsets are selling briskly worldwide," said Kim Young-chan from Shinhan Investment Corp."

This isn't about marketshare, it's about company value.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You missed a key phrase in there: shifting its focus to cheaper smart phones.

Even if Samsung is losing market share to themselves (which they aren't) they're actually making significantly less money on those sales.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There are really a lot of awesome android phones out there... samsungs competition was never apple... it was all the other manufacturers...
you have LG selling a few million Nexus 4 here, millions of optimus g there. you have sony experia Z and outside of US you have lenovo and other makers...
and i almost forgot you have htc one and selling 5 million quick and seem to be ramping up production where samsung orders are declining...
and then you have new phones coming up at end of year like moto x or the next nexus.... it all adds up and takes away from samsung.
at this point the chips, lcds available and quality of jelly bean... anyone can make a good quad core, 2gb, 1080 screen, 32gb jelly bean phone.
android makers just killing each other. maybe this will solidify samsungs plan to go tizen and jump off android.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
There are really a lot of awesome android phones out there... samsungs competition was never apple... it was all the other manufacturers...
you have LG selling a few million Nexus 4 here, millions of optimus g there. you have sony experia Z and outside of US you have lenovo and other makers...
and i almost forgot you have htc one and selling 5 million quick and seem to be ramping up production where samsung orders are declining...
and then you have new phones coming up at end of year like moto x or the next nexus.... it all adds up and takes away from samsung.
at this point the chips, lcds available and quality of jelly bean... anyone can make a good quad core, 2gb, 1080 screen, 32gb jelly bean phone.
android makers just killing each other. maybe this will solidify samsungs plan to go tizen and jump off android.

HTC didn't sell 5 million ones. That was debunked today. More like 2 million. The article being discussed today is about potential future sales and not how the S4 is selling now.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
HTC didn't sell 5 million ones. That was debunked today. More like 2 million. The article being discussed today is about potential future sales and not how the S4 is selling now.

The 5 million number was not debunked. One analyst claims it was lower, but he's just guessing. At this point the only thing that will debunk the 5 million number from HTC is another number from HTC.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This is what happens when analysts overestimate and put unrealistic numbers out there and then the company still have great sales but fall short of those same estimates. Happened to apple and happening here as well. Each year they talk about how apple will finally start seeing decline yet they put these aggressive sales figures and then Apple always pass the opening sales of the previous release but fall short of those exaggerated estimates.

It's also about perspective too. When apple sold 5 million iPhone 5s in the first weekend they talked about how big a disappointment it was but when Samsung hit 10 million S4s in 2 months the same firm talked about how great that was. Yeah.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

Can you post a link as I would be interested to read about that. Thanks.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It seems that some folks are playing semantics games, since the key point of the article is S4 sales are lower than expected.

Rubes like me simply hope this will compel Samsung and carriers to collaborate and offer at least 32gb options to help add to sales.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
the article doesnt debunk estimates that they sold over 5 million... if you google htc one sales you wont find it... most of the articles will say they sold over 5 million... but what they are saying that sales look to have peaked for them.

i'm just saying that there are many excellent android choices that werent there when the s2 and s3 were selling so they are not going to be as dominant... htc one alone you are talking over 5 million phones to date that might have gone mostly to samsung and even if htc sales peaked out and you're still selling a million a month... those are millions that would have gone to samsung. And then you have LG selling millions and all the others. And IOS7 will be announced soon creating momentum for the 5S announce later in the year.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

And this is where it started. Out of all the things that you quoted you chose to focus on the One. The point of the post you quoted was to show that Android is thriving and selling like crazy.

More to the point, the article is about how much money Samsung is or isn't making, not market share or anything else. I mean it should be obvious. If your average revenue per unit goes down obviously you're either going to have to compensate by selling a higher volume or see your total sales in dollars go down.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta