Galaxy S4: music pauses for no reason

Tallie Williams

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I am new here so I am sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong area. I love my s4, but I have been having this annoying problem lately, and I don't know what is causing it. Maybe a setting or fixable bug? Anyway, when I am using the music player, I will have my phone locked and set it on a surface, and after a few songs, it will just randomly pause in mid song for no reason. I have the setting where blocking the screen pauses the music, but it is locked and facing up somewhere where nothing moves in front of the screen or anything. I know this is not like a huge problem, but it is irritating. When my baby has a problem, I want to know the source so we can work through it. Hehe Thank you for any help or insight.

Last edited by a moderator:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: S4 music pauses for no reason

That is pretty strange. Maybe you should try downloading a music app called power amp. Then you can run a test to see if it is the music app or something else on your system. Also, do you have your music stored on the SD card? If so that might be a problem with the SD card.

Posted via Android Central App

Tallie Williams

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I have RealPlayer, so I suppose I could use my Real Player. Some of my music is on my sd card, but I don't know if my newest music is or not. What would you recommend to back up things like pictures and music? I lost all of my pics from my s2 when I switched phones, and I don't want that to happen again. Can I do that with Kies or Google?

j510

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site

I have RealPlayer, so I suppose I could use my Real Player. Some of my music is on my sd card, but I don't know if my newest music is or not. What would you recommend to back up things like pictures and music? I lost all of my pics from my s2 when I switched phones, and I don't want that to happen again. Can I do that with Kies or Google?

Transfer it to your computer with USB cable

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I keep music on the card just so I can back up my organization conveniently from time to time---all the music files are originally stored on my desktop computer. For pics---there are lots of options.

First, Facebook has an automatic upload feature, as does Google+. That's the equivalent of backing up photos.
Second, more comprehensively, Lookout (and I guess similar programs) will back up contacts, call histories, SMS and photos. You should have something like Lookout anyway. Backups are a bonus.

Tallie Williams

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help! I hate the idea of putting all my music on my laptop because I am afraid my computer will crawl to a creeping hault. I do have Lookout so I will have to look into backing up my stuff. And I have been using 8tracks and the music randomly pauses with it too. :(

I don't know whether to be glad to not be alone or scared there is a real bug going on. :/ This is the one bad thing about having new things when they come out.

Last edited by a moderator:

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Have the same issue, just random pauses. Mine is happening in the Audible app as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Maybe just maybe you have that turn over to mute or pause option on? =o

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I don't use the stock player, but there usually is a setting in most music apps that causes music apps to turn off after a certain amount of play time. This is because they are often played in the background with the screen off and it could use up battery power for a long time after the person stopped wanting it to play.

I tend not to worry about that because I have mine set to start/stop when I attach or detach headphones. That takes care of it. But...

You might check that...and see if that setting exists and if so what it is set to.

There are also other possibly relevant settings---for instance, what happens when a call comes in, or you get an audible notification for email? I have mine set to give me the audible notification and then resume music. I believe there is also an option to just stop.

Tallie Williams

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I would understand the mode that would cause it to stop after so long, but it won't even be playing for very long maybe a song or a few and it just stops. I think mine resumes after I get notifications. I do have the turn over to mute thing on, but my phone is locked and is in the same spot, nothing moving around it. I don't know. I suppose I will mess with it and see what it does with other players besides 8tracks and the stock player.

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I would understand the mode that would cause it to stop after so long, but it won't even be playing for very long maybe a song or a few and it just stops. I think mine resumes after I get notifications. I do have the turn over to mute thing on, but my phone is locked and is in the same spot, nothing moving around it. I don't know. I suppose I will mess with it and see what it does with other players besides 8tracks and the stock player.

Mine is totally random as well. Have audible going in the car via blue tooth, 5 min later will pause for no reason. Then maybe it won't again for an hour, or maybe it will 5 more times.... Wtf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Trexwarrior

May 3, 2013
Visit site

I have the same issue completely random and it doesn't matter if it's Pandora one, iheart radio, win amp or the stock play music app. It's annoying and has to be a bug. The phone will be on in the Otterbox dock and just pause in the middle of any random song be it the first the second or the 25th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

You know, as I'm recalling, this used to happen periodically with my HTC. I never found any rhyme or reason for it. I just assumed something was going on in the background that caused it to burp and stop.
Just about 100% of the time, I'd restart it, things were fine. So I gave up trying to find out why.

MRQturbo

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Try turning the voice control off. When I had it on songs would sometimes not play all the way through and it would skip to next song. Hasn't happened since.

Hewe Wongx3_DERP

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

SAME THONG happend to my Galaxy S3, I never have problems with the tunein radio but music player, A lot of Problems.

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

Maybe just maybe you have that turn over to mute or pause option on? =o

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. There is a feature on the s4 that pauses music when u turn the phone over. Try checking if that is switched on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

webstar28

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

I also had this problem.
I was shopping and found a galaxy exhibition in the middle of a shopping centre and asked an engineer (quite lucky to stumble across this) he fiddled around with my phone for a bit, reset the music settings I think he said? I know I disabled Google music also, haven't had the problem since. Recently downloaded the updates for Google music and I'm now using it again with no pauses, as of yet, hope this is any help!

katcasso

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

I also have this problem with audible.com audio books. I have had my Galaxy S4 for about two weeks. I listen to audiobooks every day during my long commute. Everything was going great until yesterday, when the book just started pausing after a few seconds and I can't get it to play. Every time I pick play it pauses. I tried a different book and it does the same thing. I'm guessing it will do the same with my music.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz