iPhone converts

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I spent most of my weekend with a few friends who made the switch to S4. It's amazing how much apple has set up on the phone for the user. It's my opinion that it's not a good thing but that's subjective. I can understand someone would want to use ios. It's very simple, smooth, etc. Users are spoiled with not having to figure anything out, everything is mostly done for you. It will be extremely hard for someone to make the switch if they're not at least somewhat tech savy. We will have to be patient and help as much as possible. I also feel you should at least explore the phone some and try to learn as much as they can. It's not like you can break something. All who have made the switch, we welcome you.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: IPhone converts

I spent most of my weekend with a few friends who made the switch to S4. It's amazing how much apple has set up on the phone for the user. It's my opinion that it's not a good thing but that's subjective. I can understand someone would want to use ios. It's very simple, smooth, etc. Users are spoiled with not having to figure anything out, everything is mostly done for you. It will be extremely hard for someone to make the switch if they're not at least somewhat tech savy. We will have to be patient and help as much as possible. I also feel you should at least explore the phone some and try to learn as much as they can. It's not like you can break something. All who have made the switch, we welcome you.

The phone is hard to setup if you want some customization. As it comes stock, the S4 is very easy to use. The differences between it and the iPhone is very minimal on basic features.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm switching from the iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S4, i will see what Apple do tomorrow at WWDC tho. I'm looking forward to making the switch, however i've never used Android before so it will be a new learning curve (which is a good thing, learning something new) I'm a little surprised to see people's reaction when i tell them this, a few of my iPhone and BlackBerry friends have said "Dont do it". personally i feel that Apple are not listening to the customers and i have grown tired of there minor spec bumps and S model phones.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I just left my Galaxy S4 after a little over a month... going to sell it and keep using my iPhone 5.

I can understand. Tough switch for some people. Better for you to be comfortable

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Being an Apple convert, how long do you think it would take to get use to Android and the Samsung S4?

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Being an Apple convert, how long do you think it would take to get use to Android and the Samsung S4?

Everyone is different. My wife has used the Iphone for almost 4 years and 4 weeks ago got the s3. I've used android for awhile now and it took me about a week and a half to show her some of the customization options available. She is still learning but I will give her credit because she has been very patient with it. She knows it's not an iPhone so she doesn't treat it like one. I tell everyone to go into it with an open mind or you will hate the experience.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

If you are open to different ways of doing things and really embrace change, 3 weeks at least to prevent relapse. If just kinda going though the motions, never...they got you. I have had so many friends get android to demonstrate their "faux" disgust at Apple for small screen etc. If you catch yourself saying "but on my iphone, I could do this" more than twice a day, you probably will not make it. LOL! They would all say well I tried Android but I am too locked into iPhone...

I have an iPhone 5 as a work phone and it is just flat out easier to set up and operate. Since I converted to the Captivate from iphone 4, I have never been tempted to go back with my personal phones.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

If you are open to different ways of doing things and really embrace change, 3 weeks at least to prevent relapse. If just kinda going though the motions, never...they got you. I have had so many friends get android to demonstrate their "faux" disgust at Apple for small screen etc. If you catch yourself saying "but on my iphone, I could do this" more than twice a day, you probably will not make it. LOL! They would all say well I tried Android but I am too locked into iPhone...

I have an iPhone 5 as a work phone and it is just flat out easier to set up and operate. Since I converted to the Captivate from iphone 4, I have never been tempted to go back with my personal phones.

I'm open to change and trying something new, i'm looking forward to it but also a little concerned. I'm loving the idea of having more control over my phone and the new features that the S4 has.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Everyone is different. My wife has used the Iphone for almost 4 years and 4 weeks ago got the s3. I've used android for awhile now and it took me about a week and a half to show her some of the customization options available. She is still learning but I will give her credit because she has been very patient with it. She knows it's not an iPhone so she doesn't treat it like one. I tell everyone to go into it with an open mind or you will hate the experience.

Great points

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm definitely willing to learn about the phone and Android, as long as it doesn't crash every 5 minutes and is reliable as my iPhone

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm definitely willing to learn about the phone and Android, as long as it doesn't crash every 5 minutes and is reliable as my iPhone

If you read through these posts it can be concerning. I can say that if you take time to learn and operate the device, you will avoid 95+% of these issues. Most of these issues are operator induced and they blame the device. That is my opinion. The apps are not as refined as iOS. Only use the play store for apps or Amazon and make sure to read reviews when select from apps that do the same thing. Not all apps are created equally. I also recommend only adding a few apps a day or so so if something affects your phone you will know. I have used the sames apps for so long, I know they are stable with my devices.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

If you read through these posts it can be concerning. I can say that if you take time to learn and operate the device, you will avoid 95+% of these issues. Most of these issues are operator induced and they blame the device. That is my opinion. The apps are not as refined as iOS. Only use the play store for apps or Amazon and make sure to read reviews when select from apps that do the same thing. Not all apps are created equally. I also recommend only adding a few apps a day or so so if something affects your phone you will know. I have used the sames apps for so long, I know they are stable with my devices.

Thank you for the advice it is helpful :) as i don't really know that much about Android. So i can download Apps from Amazon as well as Google PlayStore? that would be good because i have an account with Amazon. I wouldn't install a massive amount of apps a day, i only use a few at the moment anyway, Facebook, twitter, Temple Run, Zombie, Amazon, Ebay, Mail online and a couple of other apps. I was more hoping to be able to customise the S4, Live wallpapers, maybe change the theme, add some widgets and stuff like that to make it how i want it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for the advice it is helpful :) as i don't really know that much about Android. So i can download Apps from Amazon as well as Google PlayStore? that would be good because i have an account with Amazon. I wouldn't install a massive amount of apps a day, i only use a few at the moment anyway, Facebook, twitter, Temple Run, Zombie, Amazon, Ebay, Mail online and a couple of other apps. I was more hoping to be able to customise the S4, Live wallpapers, maybe change the theme, add some widgets and stuff like that to make it how i want it.

Yes Amazon has an app store for android. You would need to install the apk on your phone from the Amazon web site. Very easy to do and like the play store it will keep your apps for you either on the cloud when not downloaded on your phone. They also have a paid app for free every day. Some are great but others are not. Just another option. One thing we do not have yet is the Amazon Prime instant video app that iOS has. As you may be aware the Kindle also uses android so we do not have the app to avoid competing with the kindle. If you have netflix, that app works very well on the S4.

I do not use facebook or twitter but the Amazon, ebay apps run well on the S4. I do not play games on my phone but temple run 2 runs fine on my Nexus 7.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes Amazon has an app store for android. You would need to install the apk on your phone from the Amazon web site. Very easy to do and like the play store it will keep your apps for you either on the cloud when not downloaded on your phone. They also have a paid app for free every day. Some are great but others are not. Just another option. One thing we do not have yet is the Amazon Prime instant video app that iOS has. As you may be aware the Kindle also uses android so we do not have the app to avoid competing with the kindle. If you have netflix, that app works very well on the S4.

I do not use facebook or twitter but the Amazon, ebay apps run well on the S4. I do not play games on my phone but temple run 2 runs fine on my Nexus 7.

I think my main worry is my music, I have a libary of music that I've brought on iTunes and would like to carry over if possible. Yes I have Nextfil as well, it will be interesting to see how many apps there are for the S4, Apple tend to have a habit of saying they have the most and the best apps. I'm trying to hold out on buying the S4 until they release more colors over hear in the UK, such as the blur or brown one.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

I was opposite. I had been an android fan since the HTC Hero. I got an s3 and traded it in on an iPhone 5 but that only lasted me a few months then I came back to my senses and got android again. Love the customizable interface and it just works for me.

I believe there is an app to get your music from iTunes to android but I could be wrong since I never bought music on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I think my main worry is my music, I have a libary of music that I've brought on iTunes and would like to carry over if possible. Yes I have Nextfil as well, it will be interesting to see how many apps there are for the S4, Apple tend to have a habit of saying they have the most and the best apps. I'm trying to hold out on buying the S4 until they release more colors over hear in the UK, such as the blur or brown one.

If you bought them from itunes I do not know if they are still DRM protected or not. I buy my music on Amazon then I can move them anywhere including itunes for my i devices. I did use the google play music app to transfer them all to Google Play music. You can transfer up to 20,000 songs from itunes. Again since mine where originally from Amazon, they all transferred without issue. I only did that because I tried out the Nexus 4 with limited storage but on my S4 all of my music is on my SD card. Maybe someone with a lot of iTunes stuff can answer on itunes purchased music.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

If you bought them from itunes I do not know if they are still DRM protected or not. I buy my music on Amazon then I can move them anywhere including itunes for my i devices. I did use the google play music app to transfer them all to Google Play music. You can transfer up to 20,000 songs from itunes. Again since mine where originally from Amazon, they all transferred without issue. I only did that because I tried out the Nexus 4 with limited storage but on my S4 all of my music is on my SD card. Maybe someone with a lot of iTunes stuff can answer on itunes purchased music.

Ok, so you own the S4? Can I just ask a couple of questions. I'm planning got getting the S4 so speaking to someone who has one would be helpful.

1. Does it lag much?
2. Do you find that you use the features (airview, smart scroll e.g) in everyday life?
3. What is battery life like? Is it better than the iPhone battery?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

If you just use the phone stock and do normal setup its pretty basic. Even setting up widgets and apps on the home screen is pretty easy.

Sent from my HTC One

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site

I think both platforms have their pros and cons. I currently use an iPhone, but I really do like Android, and had Android phones previously. I am actually the one that shows people I know the cool things they can do with Android, because most are unaware of the platform?s potential use.

I don?t have much time to fiddle and customise these days as used to have in the past. Time is of essence usually for me, so I need something to just work, and I tried (after having been with WebOS and Android) and liked the iPhone in that respect.

I know that many like other to choose and defend one platform. I can?t. I love tech, I love iOS and Android. I listen to iMore and Android Central, I have a lot of Apple stuff so using and iPhone with it all is an easy affair. But I will always think Android is cool, in someways better in terms of versatility than iOS. I am thinking about getting an Android tablet to tickle my Android need. Just don?t know which to get.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance