Samsung Galaxy S4 charging issues - can only charge when phone is off.

LadyTravel

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 charging issues - can only charge when on car charger in car.

I've had this same problem, I just checked mine and I don't see anything bent. I am not willing to pay to have it repaired. They will have to replace my phone.

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have found that you can not use any other charging cords except OEM cords. For some reason the Samsung galaxy S4 pulls more electricity. So unless it is an authentic cord mine won't charge either. There are times when I plug it in and it doesn't recognize the plug so I have to restart, then it will work. I can not use it in my Pruis "Entune" program because it keeps pulling more amperage so it shuts the program down. Also it won't charge that well when it is plugged into a USB in a car.

Kay Rellims

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I just had the same problem, but I wanted to let everyone know what the solution, and what the possible problems WERE.

My phone's only 6-8 weeks old, and I didn't get the insurance, so this was stressing me out. LOL

Last night, during the rainstorm, my phone slipped out of my jacket pocket, into a puddle and was submerged for like, 2 seconds.
I immediately wiped it completely off, hoping it was going to survive (which it did, thank god)... but my battery was low (I charge my phone overnight every day), and when I put it to charge, it wasn't realizing that it was plugged in. 0.0

When I wiggled the cord around, trying to make it pick it up, it eventually did say that the charger wasn't compatible to my phone......... which pissed me off.
It wouldn't charge AT ALL. ALL night.

I tried again this morning, and instead of using it in the wall, I plugged it into my computer, and after wiggling it again a lot, it finally picked it up, and it charged (very slowly, of course, since it was charging through the computer) a few percents, but then it stopped. And then the only activity I could get out of it was the "this charger isn't compatible with this phone" so I brought it to work with me just now, looked up on Google "Galaxy S4 charging problems" and found this forum.

Quickly skimming through answers, I found the idea to gently adjust that tiny silver piece inside the phone, in case that makes the charger take it.
IT DID WORK. I uncoiled a small paperclip and used the tip to wedge (GENTLY) the silver piece up a little ((so it's more centered than toward one side---- but not completely centered)), stuck my charger in again, and it ******* works! It's charging right now, and this literally happened less than 5 minutes ago.

So good luck to you guys!
((If you have a heavy hand, or are unable to be extremely gentle, then have a girl do it for you, if she's that way.--- You really don't want to **** this up. It's like playing Operation.))

Eduardo Casiano Sr

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
i have better luck with 1900 battery charger i got from amozon they send you 2 batteries and the charger so you can charge one battery while you use the other one it even has a usb port one the side where can charge them both at the same time other wise the phone works fine

OG_Sasquatch

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Re: how do I charge my Samsung Galaxy S4 from my dell computer

woohoo! Thanks thanks thanks. I looked at the mini USB connector on my Note 4 (verizon) and sure enough it looked to be pushed completely up toward the screen. I took a screwdriver and "gently" forced it down and carefully plugged in the charger and it is charging fine. This may not be the fix for everyone, my phone worked fine as long as I didn't have a charge cable plugged into it, eg it turned on and off normally using the power button, but every time I tried a charger (and I tried many) it would, if turned on, do nothing, and if turned off, it would blink like it was gonna charge, then start that vibrate for a second every few seconds over and over. For me the power button had nothing to do with the problem, the usb contacts were getting pushed up and over the cord contacts instead of them being hooked together. I hope this helps some ppl, I have been sweating bullets for days trying to figure this thing out, and was just about to tear it down to check a power button that I pretty much knew was fine. Be gentle. I will be replacing this phone as once it was bent up and I bent it back down, it probably started a crack and eventually it will break for good, unless it's easy to replace the charger port (guess I need to check into this lol, was so excited to see it charging I had to scream it out for others). Anyway, good luck folks, may you fix yours as well, w/o having to deal with your provider or tearing the phone apart or paying for a new phone when you have a nice one already.