06-19-2013 11:02 AM
190 ... 5678
tools
    I'd always try out a new platform because im not one of those that is a strict fan of any one particular thing but a fan of the "Best" ..The only way for me to try out an Iphone is if they give me at least a 4.8 inch screen.
    If Apple comes out with a large-screen iPhone, Android marketshare in the U.S. will take a MAJOR hit, IMO.
    06-12-2013 12:35 AM
    Google on the other hand does not give crap about your user experience, you can be using a flagship phone or a ****ty crappy phone, they STILL MAKE THEIR MONEY BY SELLING OR USING YOUR DATA!
    Google does not sell your data. They keep it for their own use.
    Aquila, Ry and TomsAndroid like this.
    06-12-2013 12:38 AM
    As far as the car comparison, you talk about Toyota quality. Maybe you should research their recalls the last 5 years and then talk about their "quality". Obviously we have different opinions of quality. Also, RAM is outselling Ford trucks, and Chevy is on par with Ford's car sales. Especially with the new Cruze. And it's not because they copied Toyota or Honda's standards. They went back to their own standards from the 60's, 70's and even early 80's. Look at the Mustang, Charger, Challenger and Camaro. Those are not following the standards of crap Japanese cars.
    RAM outselling Ford trucks, and Chevrolet on par with Ford sales? Lol, only in a dream world! No truck has outsold the F-Series truck for the past 35 years, and won't start this year.
    Truck sales surge in May - CSMonitor.com
    06-12-2013 01:02 AM
    RAM outselling Ford trucks, and Chevrolet on par with Ford sales? Lol, only in a dream world! No truck has outsold the F-Series truck for the past 35 years, and won't start this year.
    Truck sales surge in May - CSMonitor.com
    You're right. Ford has outsold Ram. What I should have said, was that as of mid 2012, Ram had the highest percent increase of sales of any major truck over the previous year. Their percent increase over the previous year was 20%, Ford was 11%, and Chevy was less than 1%. And just to be sure we're understood, I was referring to Chevy cars. Not the Silverado as being on par with the F series sales.
    06-12-2013 10:10 AM
    WWDC to cars.. Random :P

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    06-12-2013 10:14 AM
    No need to be a jerk. iOS autocorrect is better than swypes. I can say that having used both of them.
    How can you say that to him after how you spoke to me? Let's not be hypocritical in these discussions. And I don't know how some people have been conditioned to type, but I was conditioned to type with my fingers on ASDF and JKL;. And my thumbs on the keyboard.
    06-12-2013 10:18 AM
    If Google cared about user experience, why didn't they bully the oems/carriers in allowing timely updates on Android like Apple is allowed?
    If Google cared about user experience, why did it take 3-4 years before Chrome Browser allow you to change font size?
    If Google cared about user experience, why did they took so long to come out with Project Butter to finally fix most of the lag issues with Android?
    If Google cared about user experience, why don't they force hardware standards for new releases of Android?
    If Google cared about user experience, why they keep releasing different social networks after we get use to one?
    If Google cared about user experience, why did they take out iGoogle?

Google cares about knowing your habits and how they can market and sell those habits for profit.
    Forcing Google to do certain things you list here kind of goes against Android's openness. Seems that for Google to be "more" successful, they should be more strict - like Apple. But it seems like for Apple to be "more" successful, they should be more open - like Google.
    06-12-2013 10:45 AM
    Since innovation keeps getting brought, Apple did innovative with the iPhone 5. (What really??? Yes really!!!). The innovation was not something sexy or stands out directly. It was the custom A5 processor that Apple designed for the iPhone. They made their own instruction set and cpu architecture (off the license from ARM) to be optimized around their operating system. I am sure that their next generation is going to do the same and have great battery life off multitasking because of this.

This isn't what the public sees. The public sees IOS7 with toggles and multitasking. If Apple comes out with a larger screen, they will see that.

It is why sometimes I hate benchmark testing so much because people are trying to compare Apples to Oranges.
    Is that really innovating though? Their custom chips seem evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
    06-12-2013 10:47 AM
    Is that really innovating though? Their custom chips seem evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
    True. And he mentions multitasking when Apples isn't 100% multitasking.

06-12-2013 11:24 AM

To be fair, neither is androids. The only os that has true multitasking right now is *shudder* blackberry 10.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    06-12-2013 12:08 PM
    Forcing Google to do certain things you list here kind of goes against Android's openness. Seems that for Google to be "more" successful, they should be more strict - like Apple. But it seems like for Apple to be "more" successful, they should be more open - like Google.
    That was in response in Google cares about the User Experience. That maybe changing now, but that wasn't the case. How do you take 2-3 years to update your browser so people can increase the font size without zooming in? It was a common complaint about Chrome.

People tend to forget in all this why Google invested in Android in the first place. To find a new market to expand into and maintain domination with regards to online advertising revenues.
    Openness was just a tool to help with rapid expansion and a means to an end. If you really think about it. Android 4.0 was a means to fix all the User Experience issues/reputation Android has had from the beginning. My point is and will be, Android 4.0 should have been the initial experience, minus adjustments made for the hardware that existed a couple years ago.

Can you tell me of any other Phone manufacturer who made their own instruction set in their own cpu? The end result was a much faster more efficient cpu without any major speed bump. Evolutionary would have been for Apple to start using the next generation arm processor.
    06-12-2013 05:55 PM

That was reference to IOS7 multitasking APIs not IOS6 or less. IOS6 and less did have multitasking though. 7 services were allowed in the background but everything else was limited to a suspended state if wasn't really on any of those services. Remember using GPS software and fielding a phone call or browsing the web at the same time is multitasking even though it might not be the multitasking you want.
    06-12-2013 05:59 PM
    That was in response in Google cares about the User Experience. That maybe changing now, but that wasn't the case. How do you take 2-3 years to update your browser so people can increase the font size without zooming in? It was a common complaint about Chrome.

People tend to forget in all this why Google invested in Android in the first place. To find a new market to expand into and maintain domination with regards to online advertising revenues.
    Openness was just a tool to help with rapid expansion and a means to an end. If you really think about it. Android 4.0 was a means to fix all the User Experience issues/reputation Android has had from the beginning. My point is and will be, Android 4.0 should have been the initial experience, minus adjustments made for the hardware that existed a couple years ago.

LOL. Why not say 4.3 should have been the initial experience? Why not say it should run on unicorn farts? You think that google wasn't trying to make Android as good as they could at each stage - because they don't care about the user experience? I am pretty certain they have been putting in a lot of effort all along.
    Aquila, TomsAndroid and return_0 like this.
    06-12-2013 10:44 PM
    LOL. Why not say 4.3 should have been the initial experience? Why not say it should run on unicorn farts? You think that google wasn't trying to make Android as good as they could at each stage - because they don't care about the user experience? I am pretty certain they have been putting in a lot of effort all along.
    Until Larry Page took over in 2011, Google did not care about design or the user experience. They weren't putting the effort in because their focus was on data. How to get data as fast as possible and use it for search and advertising revenue.

That is why the look and feel of everything Google has it hands in has change so dramatically over the last couple years.

I wanted to type out some more, but this article probably explains it better.

Redesigning Google: how Larry Page engineered a beautiful revolution | The Verge
    06-13-2013 12:13 AM
    A quick note here: the discussion in this thread is perfectly fine even enjoyable, looking at things like the article on The Verge that FarishK just posted but there were some posts that got a bit out of hand in the last page or two. I think everyone recognizes that those posts don't do much but cause frustration and effort for those who read and/or respond to them. I saw more than one that was edited to remove statements that were unnecessary. I pulled the posts, let's move on and have a good discussion here. There's lots to talk about as far as Apple, Google, and where they're heading both through microscopic (device-level) analysis and macroscopic (industry-level; like FarishK's link) analysis.

Here's a header and subheader from that article on The Verge: "Restructuring a legacy: Google's built a process that is quintessentially Google." There's very interesting stuff in that article; I highly recommend everyone takes a few minutes to read through it.
    Farish, TomsAndroid and dave25A like this.
    06-13-2013 12:25 AM
    Until Larry Page took over in 2011, Google did not care about design or the user experience. They weren't putting the effort in because their focus was on data. How to get data as fast as possible and use it for search and advertising revenue.

That is why the look and feel of everything Google has it hands in has change so dramatically over the last couple years.

I wanted to type out some more, but this article probably explains it better.

Redesigning Google: how Larry Page engineered a beautiful revolution | The Verge
    Well, I am well aware of changes at google. That still doesn't support that they "didn't care" about user experience prior to this, and it certainly doesn't support a claim that 2013's version of software should have been the original version, any more than the claim that microsoft should have released windows 7 instead when they released windows ME.
    06-13-2013 07:10 AM
    Multitasking cards swiping up to delete...

Live Long and Prosper using Tapatalk II
    So...just like WebOS???!!! :rolleyes:

Once again Apple proves they love "borrowing" stuff from others.

Oh but if others borrow from Apple?
    They can't take it and go to court!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
    06-13-2013 07:45 AM
    So...just like WebOS???!!! :rolleyes:

Once again Apple proves they love "borrowing" stuff from others.

Oh but if others borrow from Apple?
    They can't take it and go to court!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums
    Isn't WebOS open source now. Therefore Apple is becoming more open in IOS.......
    06-13-2013 08:16 AM
    Yea, Apple and their fanbois will keep saying that! A lot of us know better

06-13-2013 11:58 AM
    Thanks to Apples staleness and there stubbornness to give customers a bigger screen i'm now a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S4 (brought yesterday). Apple have only got themselves to blame, they need to be more open and give customers more options such as bigger screens and more customisable options.
    06-14-2013 05:04 AM
    Thanks to Apples staleness and there stubbornness to give customers a bigger screen i'm now a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S4 (brought yesterday). Apple have only got themselves to blame, they need to be more open and give customers more options such as bigger screens and more customisable options.
    Welcome aboard mate.
    dave25A likes this.
    06-14-2013 05:07 AM
    If Apple does come out with a bigger screen, Android U.S. marketshare will probably take a huge hit. Apple is already gaining and Android is dropping U.S. marketshare.
    06-14-2013 05:16 AM
    If Apple does come out with a bigger screen, Android U.S. marketshare will probably take a huge hit. Apple is already gaining and Android is dropping U.S. marketshare.
    I dont know if Apple will in the near future but i think long term they will, UK marketshare has Android gaining a little. I've seen and heard people saying the same as what i did before i brought my S4 that they are fed up with Apple releasing just S model small upgrades and keeping the OS locked down, people want to feel in control of there phones and be able to customise.
    06-14-2013 05:24 AM
    I dont know if Apple will in the near future but i think long term they will, UK marketshare has Android gaining a little. I've seen and heard people saying the same as what i did before i brought my S4 that they are fed up with Apple releasing just S model small upgrades and keeping the OS locked down, people want to feel in control of there phones and be able to customise.
    I was just reading they are testing out both a 4.7" and 5.7" screen size (i know they test many sizes before deciding on one) but that's a pretty big jump from what they are currently at... I wonder if it will ever happen?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app
    06-14-2013 07:51 AM
    I think that they would go with the 4.7 inch because of the more standardized size. Regardless, a bigger iPhone would take a big chunk from galaxy s4 and HTC one sales .

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-14-2013 08:00 PM
190 ... 5678