WWDC 2013?

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I will say this though, I REALLY like the new look of iOS 7. I think they did a great job of making it look a little more like Android. They still have a ways to go, but kudos to them for taking a few strides in the right direction. It just sucks for them that they've now gotten a little closer to Android 4.2, when 4.3 is right around the corner. It seems like Android just seems to be 2 or 3 steps in front every single year for the last 3 years.

I know many might disagree, but I think Android has always been in front of iOS, ever since the G1. iOS was always a lot more conservative than anything else out there. Rarely do they come out with a new feature or tech first. They usually come at it after everyone else, and sometimes they do it better. Other times they muck up the situation entirely. (see Maps). But Android has always been ahead of iOS in terms of feature.

I use an iPhone now by the way. But when I had a Moto Droid 2, no one with an iPhone 3gs or 4 could have made iOS 4 look good enough for me to use. Are you kidding?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I know many might disagree, but I think Android has always been in front of iOS, ever since the G1. iOS was always a lot more conservative than anything else out there. Rarely do they come out with a new feature or tech first. They usually come at it after everyone else, and sometimes they do it better. Other times they muck up the situation entirely. (see Maps). But Android has always been ahead of iOS in terms of feature.

I use an iPhone now by the way. But when I had a Moto Droid 2, no one with an iPhone 3gs or 4 could have made iOS 4 look good enough for me to use. Are you kidding?

I do disagree. I think iOS itself is more functional than pure android. The advantage is that they have several skins to choose the best features and then incorporate them into the stock android updates.

Just my opinion but I think my iphone 5 is more advanced than my Nexus 4. I may be biased, I am still pretty down on the camera and video shooter on the N4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
More mature than what was shown today skeuomorphism and all, yes. Which says more about iOS 7 than previous iterations.

I can't disagree with this statement enough. iOS 1-6 looked like what was considered good design in 2007. Shiny icons, highlights, textures, etc. It wasn't mature, wasn't good looking, and just didn't 'work' any longer. Interface design as a whole has moved from those things to gentle gradients, pictographic icons, and bright colors, all of which we see here.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I am just so surprised that they are making iOS look more like android, but touting that they are being so innovative. Obviously for apple this is innovative to their own iOS since its been the same design pretty much for 6 years, but android and other platforms have had this for much longer. It kind of irks me that they take from all the platforms and everyone praises them for innovating lol.. Being an iPhone convert of only a few weeks to my galaxy s4, I can finally see why people argued so much about apple not innovating and just "stealing" or borrowing in a way, as I used to be that person saying apple was number one in leading the way. Most of the features have been available on android for so long which I have now discovered. But of course iOS 7 is gorgeous and I am very excited to use it on my iPad, and have give kudos to apple for finally making a beautiful design
Except Apple isn't touting it as being innovative. ALL of the stuff on Apple's site related to iOS7 only mentions advancements related to previous versions of iOS. There are even subtle jabs at themselves, like saying that 'some things should only be a swipe away' for control center, which was a huge complaint with all previous versions of iOS.

I've actually been surprised with their restraint with not saying 'this is so innovative. We're so great compared to everyone else' like they usually do. Instead they seem to be pushing it more towards touting the changes compared to previous versions of iOS.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's just it. Android has always come out with something that I would have never even thought of. IOS 7 seems to mostly be what we have already experienced on other platforms. I'm not knocking iOS. I'm still a big fan, but I was expecting something that no one has introduced yet. Like Siri.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I think iOS has always done incremental creeps in features. Every new iOS version is the same thing said by others. I too used to say the same having been a WebOS and Android user. This is not new for Apple. I used IOS4 and thought it was appalling. Who can imagine a text message blurting on your screen? This is the Apple way. Apple RARELY comes out with an amazing never before heard feature on their OS.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I do disagree. I think iOS itself is more functional than pure android. The advantage is that they have several skins to choose the best features and then incorporate them into the stock android updates.

Just my opinion but I think my iphone 5 is more advanced than my Nexus 4. I may be biased, I am still pretty down on the camera and video shooter on the N4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

I think you misinterpreted. I use iOS now as well because to me it works simply better. I meant that Android has always been in front of iOS in terms of features.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think iOS has always done incremental creeps in features. Every new iOS version is the same thing said by others. I too used to say the same having been a WebOS and Android user. This is not new for Apple. I used IOS4 and thought it was appalling. Who can imagine a text message blurting on your screen? This is the Apple way. Apple RARELY comes out with an amazing never before heard feature on their OS.

I think airplay is amazing. We use it often. Pictures, videos etc on our apple tv . I also use Samsung link and miracast on my nexus 4 but they were not up iplay quality,not even close actually.

Also imessages and face time. They may not be earth shattering but they work so well my kids can use them. It is the point of iOS , so easy a kid or you elderly parents can use it.

I guess I am sounding like a shill for apple but I really do try and call it like I see it. If apple comes with a 4.5+ inch phone that might be big.

Sent from my Nexus 7

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I think airplay is amazing. We use it often. Pictures, videos etc on our apple tv . I also use Samsung link and miracast on my nexus 4 but they were not up iplay quality,not even close actually.

Also imessages and face time. They may not be earth shattering but they work so well my kids can use them. It is the point of iOS , so easy a kid or you elderly parents can use it.

I guess I am sounding like a shill for apple but I really do try and call it like I see it. If apple comes with a 4.5+ inch phone that might be big.

Sent from my Nexus 7

That?s the point. None of what you mentioned was new Tech. But Apple had the best implementation, at least in my opinion. I

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That?s the point. None of what you mentioned was new Tech. But Apple had the best implementation, at least in my opinion. I

Ahh I got you. I was replying to how well some features work versus android not what was new this time.

I did watch the wwdc on my apple TV and could not help thinking that eventually we will have to chose a side between Apple and Google. Getting harder to have hybrid gear as they reel us in more and more to one side or another.

Sent from my Nexus 7

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Except Apple isn't touting it as being innovative. ALL of the stuff on Apple's site related to iOS7 only mentions advancements related to previous versions of iOS. There are even subtle jabs at themselves, like saying that 'some things should only be a swipe away' for control center, which was a huge complaint with all previous versions of iOS.

I've actually been surprised with their restraint with not saying 'this is so innovative. We're so great compared to everyone else' like they usually do. Instead they seem to be pushing it more towards touting the changes compared to previous versions of iOS.

Did you watch the same key note that I did? Just making sure.......

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I wanted iOS 7 to be more like the SimplyZesty's concept but it's enough to go back to the iPhone.

I still prefer & love android but like I said I am a Mac user and missed my iTunes (protected) Purchases. I will sell my S4 and keep the hTc One.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This more or less summarizes what's filling up my G+ feed. To be fair, I don't follow any Apple sites/blogs, etc. so it's a little one sided.

13+-+1

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
This more or less summarizes what's filling up my G+ feed. To be fair, I don't follow any Apple sites/blogs, etc. so it's a little one sided.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../AAAAAAAAOlI/B8ksde06M60/w1218-h905-no/13+-+1

Its not just one-sided, its also completely and totally wrong. Almost all of those things existed before android and ios. Just proves that there are android fans (just like some Apple fans) out there that don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Now that I finally got some time.

Here is my perspective:

IOS7 offers features and enhancements that give some of the best features of Android without the customization of Android.

You still can't customize like you can with Android but you now have some of the look/feel/usage of Android that helps make Android so desirable.

Any sort of innovation is more on the side of how everything integrates with OSX. Windows 8 mobile and Android do not even offer close to what Apple does for it's own platform.

Apple makes everything seamless. That is their advantage.

Now Google has improved some features and integration with services on Android and other platforms and that was strongly showed at I/O 2013, but it still pales on Apple's level.

That more has to do with the fact that Google is still not a hardware/software company. They are a software company that layers its software on top of many different platforms.

Now that new Mac Pro is extreme sexiness. I am sure their some Google employees right now who plan to buy one as soon as it is released.

Now I have to debate do I get this or my can-am spyder, lol.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Here is my perspective:

IOS7 offers features and enhancements that give some of the best features of Android without the customization of Android.

You still can't customize like you can with Android but you now have some of the look/feel/usage of Android that helps make Android so desirable.

Any sort of innovation is more on the side of how everything integrates with OSX. Windows 8 mobile and Android do not even offer close to what Apple does for it's own platform.

Now Google has improved some features and integration with services on Android and other platforms and that was strongly showed at I/O 2013, but it still pales on Apple's level.

That more has to do with the fact that Google is still not a hardware/software company. They are a software company that layers its software on top of many different platforms.

Now that new Mac Pro is extreme sexiness. I am sure their some Google employees right now who plan to buy one as soon as it is released.

uh, spyder.

But the integration/optimization thing and the advantage about seamless are both spot on. Those were the huge advantages back in the pre-ICS days. I personally feel that with ICS that part tied and with JB it's better on Android now, but that's purely from a Nexus standpoint. I haven't owned a non-nexus phone since ICS, so I can't speak to those other than from what I've played with, and those still had the hiccups that make nerds shudder.

Edit to point out that comedy doesn't require 100% accuracy in order to be funny.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Here is my perspective:

But can Google get their without closing Android or forcing their partners to make "Nexus-experience" devices only? The openness of Android is its strength. The integration of the Apple ecosystem is one of Apple's strengths.

Seems that for Google to be "more" successful, they should be more strict - like Apple. But it seems like for Apple to be "more" successful, they should be more open - like Google.

Posted via Android Central App